Help? Dropping an A-level - want to do independent study. Watch

jorjeea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
TLDR AT END PLS HELP THANKS
In my GCSEs, I will admit I did dazzlingly; I believe I got the 5th highest results in my year (we compete at my school I guess). Now, I completely disregarded this and took A-level Drama as opposed to challenging myself with something that could help me in the future. Im stupid.

I should’ve taken Psychology because Drama is a ball-ache, and isnt offered as an AS at my school. We’ve just got our exam timetables, however.

I’m so desperate to drop drama!!!
My dilemma:
*I dont want to resit y12 as this might put me at a disadvantage and its only 1 subject I want to take up, and Im not doing particularly bad either.
*If I only sit 2 a-levels in y13 but take up psychology as an AS next year, i would have to continue into a gap year to complete the A-level however this may disadvantage me as I want to go to a prestigious university
*My ideal option would be to drop drama now and self-study during the periods where I would have drama. Im going to pitch this after half term.

HOWEVER
* I have never studied Psychology so I have very limited knowledge
* I’m not sure whether I’d be able to sit an AS exam for Psychology
* How the f*** would I go about learning 6 months of AS level psychology at turbo speed?

ANY advice on any of these issues would be helpful; where do I start? How do I study? Where do I find information on how to structure essays, or what content to learn etc? How can I get support for this subject? Would I be better off attending the lesson itself considering I am so far behind?

Im going to speak to my friends who do psychology and seek their notes from them however this might not help me to fully understand ?!?

TL;DR!!!!! - I am a moron who took the wrong subject; I want to take Psychology but I’m 6 months into AS levels. How do I Psychology. Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JordyJRT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The most common exam board for A-Level Psychology (AQA) doesn’t do As... I’d check with your school for the exam board before anything. A-Level Psych is a veryyyyyyyy content heavy course and I’d personally struggle to self teach it. If your school does offer it would there be the option to sit in with any lessons you have free when they’re teaching? Or perhaps hire a private tutor... it probably would be possible without any guidance if you really work for it though.
jorjeea
Rep:
?
(Original post by JordyJRT)
The most common exam board for A-Level Psychology (AQA) doesn’t do As... I’d check with your school for the exam board before anything. A-Level Psych is a veryyyyyyyy content heavy course and I’d personally struggle to self teach it. If your school does offer it would there be the option to sit in with any lessons you have free when they’re teaching? Or perhaps hire a private tutor... it probably would be possible without any guidance if you really work for it though.
Oh that works out swimmingly then if theres no AS couese. I probably should look into private tutoring, and my sociology teachers also teach psychology so I could probably go to them for any help. Thank you for your advice !!
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im doing sociology in one year. last year i did french further maths and maths and hated further maths, it is the most boring thing anyone could do. I'm doing an AS this year in it, alongside a level socio, maths and french.
jorjeea
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
im doing sociology in one year. last year i did french further maths and maths and hated further maths, it is the most boring thing anyone could do. I'm doing an AS this year in it, alongside a level socio, maths and french.
how are you coping? what kind of grades are you looking at for sociology? and how did you catch up on as sociology?
anonymous1231231
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jorjeea)
how are you coping? what kind of grades are you looking at for sociology? and how did you catch up on as sociology?
Just did my mock and got an A*. It's a lot to deal w but its enjoyable. I attend both year 12 and 13 lessons.
jorjeea
Rep:
?
Just did my mock and got an A*. It's a lot to deal w but its enjoyable. I attend both year 12 and 13 lessons.
AHH thats genius !!!! It sounds so stressful, what are you going to do/what have you done about that period just after exams where you’re still learning? (if that makes sense - like the period between may and july for y12s)
anonymous1231231
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AHH thats genius !!!! It sounds so stressful, what are you going to do/what have you done about that period just after exams where you’re still learning? (if that makes sense - like the period between may and july for y12s)
what do you mean?
jorjeea
Rep:
?
what do you mean?
if youre taking your A-level exams in may, you cant attend the y12 classes that take place after may. how do you make up for that period of lost classes?
anonymous1231231
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if youre taking your A-level exams in may, you cant attend the y12 classes that take place after may. how do you make up for that period of lost classes?
I'll obviously self-teach
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JordyJRT)
The most common exam board for A-Level Psychology (AQA) doesn’t do As....
Yes it does - look at the spec or the timetablehttps://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN19-CONFIRMED.PDF . However, (in common with all linear A levels) here is no need to take the AS exams if you are studying the full A level. The OP could potentially drop Drama, start studying Psychology to take the A level with her other A levels in Summer 2020. However, this would be dependent on her school agreeing to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (28)
12.67%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.5%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (47)
21.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
12.22%
How can I be the best version of myself? (66)
29.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise