Can you ask for incorrect things to be removed from medical record?? Watch

EternalKiss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi.
Last year, I went to my GP because of something, which I will not go into. However at one point, he asked me if I’d ever had suicidal thoughts and at the time I over exaggerated and said I had but in fact it was never suicidal it was literally me thinking “hm I wonder what it’d be like...?” And it was like once, ever in my life!
Now I would like this removed from my medical record as I don’t want future employers seeing this and thinking I have been suicidal when I HAVENT! I know through the data protection act it says I have a right to see my medical records and that they must be accurate.
Does anyone know whether it is possible to have things removed or changed from my medical records?
Thank you...
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EternalKiss)
Hi.
Last year, I went to my GP because of something, which I will not go into. However at one point, he asked me if I’d ever had suicidal thoughts and at the time I over exaggerated and said I had but in fact it was never suicidal it was literally me thinking “hm I wonder what it’d be like...?” And it was like once, ever in my life!
Now I would like this removed from my medical record as I don’t want future employers seeing this and thinking I have been suicidal when I HAVENT! I know through the data protection act it says I have a right to see my medical records and that they must be accurate.
Does anyone know whether it is possible to have things removed or changed from my medical records?
Thank you...
your future employers would have no right to see your medical record. i think you have to speak to your gp practice about it if you did want something changing.
lavender_rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi.
Thank you...
Yes, it is a legal right to have correct information on your medical records. It is part of the Data Protection Act as you mention, in the Caldicott principles - "ensuring patient information held is accurate and correcting factual errors"

See below for more info-
https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/cal...iality/indepth

But in short they have to change incorrect information legally and if you get any resistance be sure to bring up the Data protection act, to show that you're in the know.
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
your future employers would have no right to see your medical record. i think you have to speak to your gp practice about it if you did want something changing.
I’m hoping to join the army so they would need to see my medical history. The suicidal thing is inaccurate and I don’t want them to not take me because of something that was actually insignificant and wrong
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi.
Thank you...
(1) @claireestelle is right that your employers have no right to access medical records, and
(2) @lavender_rose is right that your records must be correct, but
(3) you did tell your doctors that you had such thoughts. How are they supposed to act? Put it in the notes that you exaggerated?

Imagine if you were the doctor, would you put your job on the line? What if the patient later develops depression?

Advice: what you need is a second opinion that you are better, not to change what you said in the past because as far as everyone is concerned - it was accurate. (you said it, even if you may not have meant it)
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m hoping to join the army so they would need to see my medical history. The suicidal thing is inaccurate and I don’t want them to not take me because of something that was actually insignificant and wrong
Thing is, you told your doctor you’d had suicidal thoughts in the consultation. They may have documented that as part of the consultation and it’s a truthful record as it’s something you’ve even said that you’d said at the time, you can still ask them if they’ll change your records, but you may find that they’ll refuse to do it as it’s a factual record of your consultation at the time.
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
(1) @claireestelle is right that your employers have no right to access medical records, and
(2) @lavender_rose is right that your records must be correct, but
(3) you did tell your doctors that you had such thoughts. How are they supposed to act? Put it in the notes that you exaggerated?

Imagine if you were the doctor, would you put your job on the line? What if the patient later develops depression?

Advice: what you need is a second opinion that you are better, not to change what you said in the past because as far as everyone is concerned - it was accurate. (you said it, even if you may not have meant it)
But at that time, I was uneducated in what suicidal thoughts actually were and thought that thoughts about anything about death in anyway was classed as a suicidal thought. Now, due to my studies in psychology I know what is actually a suicidal thought and now I know that I wasn’t actually suicidal and that what I said was in fact inaccurate
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your medical records are correct.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But at that time, I was uneducated in what suicidal thoughts actually were and thought that thoughts about anything about death in anyway was classed as a suicidal thought. Now, due to my studies in psychology I know what is actually a suicidal thought and now I know that I wasn’t actually suicidal and that what I said was in fact inaccurate
Good, you are studying psychology so you must know that if any person (be it a child / adult / cognitive impaired / delirious) tells you anything you must record it truthfully and then form your analysis that way.

I don't see how the doctor at the time will be in a position to judge that you were misunderstanding what you meant. They have to take what you say at face value! They can't discount you just because you were "uneducated" (because most people are layman - not "uneducated" ).

(Original post by Duncan2012)
Your medical records are correct.
Absolutely. It was certainly correct at that time. OP cannot change what they said in the past.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Good, you are studying psychology so you must know that if any person (be it a child / adult / cognitive impaired / delirious) tells you anything you must record it truthfully and then form your analysis that way.

I don't see how the doctor at the time will be in a position to judge that you were misunderstanding what you meant. They have to take what you say at face value! They can't discount you just because you were "uneducated" (because most people are layman - not "uneducated" ).

Absolutely. It was certainly correct at that time. OP cannot change what they said in the past.
Okay I see what you mean. So if I went to join the army and they questions about the suicidal thoughts, if I explained this to them would they understand? Or should I get some form of assessment to say I’m fine...?
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay I see what you mean. So if I went to join the army and they questions about the suicidal thoughts, if I explained this to them would they understand? Or should I get some form of assessment to say I’m fine...?
You should do both. Make an appointment with your GP and then go from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (96)
16.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed