Is History GCSE worth taking? Watch

Prof. Tocher
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It's only a matter of weeks before I choose my GCSE options. We take 3 subjects and I have already chosen for my first 2 geography and french. Those are set in stone. however, I am really torn between choosing history or economics GCSE. Economics is fascinating and easier than history and history, which I find equally fascinating is hard but I am willing to put effort in. Unfortunately, I have not booked the parents presentation on history so I will be heading into the course if I decide to take it with a blind eye. Recently I have just recieved a message from my History teacher where she said I am really good at history and have the necessary skills to succeed in it at GCSE. My mum really doesn't want me to take history and would probably rage at me if I did. She is open about economics but I'm really not sure on which one to take I could probably do well in both but History is probably more respected and more of my friends are taking it. Please help and dont be biased
yzanne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeh, why not. It's pretty easy; I got a 7 and I was sort of average at it with a TERRRRRRRIBLE teacher I kid you not! It's also super respected by uni's and it shows you can do essay writing so hey, why not.
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I managed to get an A in it and it was my favourite subject, so I’d say go for it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Take whichever you prefer

How 'respected' they are doesn't come into it at all

One point though - it may be slightly easier to find revision materials etc online for history compared to economics.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
History is a pretty good subject to take (i dont know much about economics so cant really comment on that).
Do whichever you enjoy most and think you will get a better grade in.
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Take the more interesting one. Neither subject is needed in order to take it at A-level, if that's a consideration.

Don't get why your mum's so opposed. It's just a GCSE, it's like 10% of your subjects.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DJTrump
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I took both Economics and History, so here's my 2 cents.

Exam style wise, economics is far less time-pressured and far less technique based. For AQA, 25% of the Economics GCSE is multiple choice - free marks essentially if you've done your revision. However, microeconomics is completely boring. Macroeconomics is somewhat more fascinating, but can get confusing at times. If you're able to do hardcore revision, economics should be a walk in the park for you. Also try to consider what career paths you want to follow. If you're looking to go into accountacy, business management, or finance - it might be helpful (but not necessary) to take economics to GCSE and A-level. Oh, and there also aren't very many essay questions. The longest mark answer for AQA Econ is 6 marks.

HOWEVER - as someone mentioned, econ is a relatively new spec. There will be more resources for History. Although, assuming you're in Yr.9, by the time you come to do your GCSEs - you'll have 2 sets of past papers, and your teachers will be versed with grade boundaries and teaching techniques. No real reason to worry.

History I find fascinating. Your school will pick 4 units, but this can range from Nazi Germany, to Norman England, to the recent war in Afghanistan. I'd suggest finding out with your History department what GCSE will entail - and then figure out if it'll interest you. History is significantly more workload than Econ, you need to understand both content and exam style. Each question will have a vastly different mark scheme and structure, and each needs to be practised individually. Also, if you're bad with essays, go towards Econ; the longest mark question in History is 20 marks. However, History is really gripping - and can be taken as an entertaining 4th A-level later on down the line. I also failed to mention that AQA recently added 15 minutes to each History paper (they used to be 1h45m - now it's 2 hrs for each paper) - making it far less time pressured than it was before.

In conclusion, take econ if you're better at maths, memory, and/or want to go into finance. Take history if you want an entertaining subject, but don't mind the longer essays/strenuous exam questions.
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DJTrump)
History I find fascinating. Your school will pick 4 units, but this can range from Nazi Germany, to Norman England, to the recent war in Afghanistan. I'd suggest finding out with your History department what GCSE will entail - and then figure out if it'll interest you.
A pretty comprehensive response with a good focus on the question, if I say so myself. I do, however, think that it must be mentioned that if the OP does not like the topics being studied in their history GCSE route, but is good essay writing, the OP should still avoid history. History can become a f*cking disaster if someone isn't a fan of even two out of the four units being studied. These are quite content-dense chapters we're talking about, and revision can become an absolute bloody living nightmare, which is just so hellish when compounded with the pressure of the exams. I learnt this the hard way.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads