What’s better, an apprenticeship, A-level or a job? Watch

Loki_11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m taking my GCSEs this year and I’m not 100% sure of what to do after. I know what career path I would like. I would like to have a career in aviation. I’m not really sure on how to get their
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bethanyfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Loki_11)
I’m taking my GCSEs this year and I’m not 100% sure of what to do after. I know what career path I would like. I would like to have a career in aviation. I’m not really sure on how to get their
I think it would be difficult to say as most people won't have experienced all three. It would depend on how you feel. A-Levels aren't for everyone, if you are interested in a career that is more based on learning a practical skill, then go for an apprenticeship. If not, go for A-Levels. I would probably say that just getting a job might be the least helpful - you won't necessarily learn new skills (although I'm sure there are some exceptions). I just think that A-Levels or Apprenticeships seem like they help you to progress better. If there's no specific apprenticeship that speaks to you, I would recommend doing A-Levels as there wouldn't be much harm.
Zasty
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you want to be a pilot or an engineer?
Loki_11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I don’t mind. Either or.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
RAF_Adam RAF_Mark National Careers Service please can you advise
National Careers Service
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Loki_11

Great you're looking for advice.

Aviation is quite a broad career section so it might help for you to break it down into specific jobs using our job profiles - https://nationalcareers.service.gov....hTerm=aviation

Each profile tells you more about the specific career, how to get qualified and the different educational pathways you need to take. This research might help you narrow down your career choices and help you make a confident decision about your next steps after GCSE whether that's A-levels, an Apprenticeship or BTEC.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions I might be able to help you with please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Sophie.
brainzistheword
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Loki_11 don't worry, I remember being in your shoes a couple of years ago. I had the same interests as you and also the same questions going round in my head.

If it helps, I chose an apprenticeship in engineering after a long process of going back and forth between college or the apprenticeship. I'm really glad I opted for this, as I feel like I'm learning much more than I could have done at college.

One thing to remember with an apprenticeship is that, just because you're in industry, it doesn't mean you can't earn qualifications - you could get the best of both worlds!

Of course, that's just my experience and I can't tell you what to do - you need to do that yourself Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, consider what you'd hope to get out of each route and see whether another option could suit your aspirations better.

I'm more than happy to share more of my experience if you think it will help, but whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!
Royal Society of Chemistry
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

The best place to start is here - https://www.careersinaerospace.com/ - have a look at what they are looking for in regards to skills and start to find ways to get them into your CV.

All the best

Jack
RAF_Adam
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

Apologies, I've only just seen this thread.
You've said you would like a career in aviation, but not whether there's any specific role you'd like to do. Have you had a look at the roles the RAF has? Not all of them are involved day-to-day within the air elements, but everything has an impact.

The Aircrew roles (not just Pilot, there are others) require only GCSEs for application, so that would give you another option. And you can apply for your commission to apply to be a pilot (if that's what you really wanted to do) at a later date, for example.

The decision is entirely up to you at the end of the day. No one can make that for you, but there are multiple options that will give you different career paths.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/find-your-role

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads