Chemical Engineering Interview Watch

Raining in TOKYO
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have an interview at the University of Manchester for Chem eng next week and have absolutely no idea what to prepare for it apart from the general questions (e.g why you want to study here?).

Does anyone have any experience with engineering interviews at non-oxbridge universities and is willing to lend a few tips?

Thanks.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barerbbiabb)
I have an interview at the University of Manchester for Chem eng next week and have absolutely no idea what to prepare for it apart from the general questions (e.g why you want to study here?).

Does anyone have any experience with engineering interviews at non-oxbridge universities and is willing to lend a few tips?

Thanks.
I am not an engineer of any kind.

I would strongly recommend you start reading from websites that feature chemical engineering. What the current challenges in the industry (the environmental impact of the chemistry industry, for example) and what future areas of research you think will be important (battery technology for electric cars- will lithium ion be the only solution or will others appear?).
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks.
It's more of a chance for them to check you are actually interested in the course, and more importantly, to persuade you to firm them.

Nearly everyone interviewed gets an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Raining in TOKYO
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It's more of a chance for them to check you are actually interested in the course, and more importantly, to persuade you to firm them.

Nearly everyone interviewed gets an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's worth me planning out answers to general questions or not? Because I don't want to be in a situation where I don't know how to answer a question or I say the wrong thing due to panicking.
Raining in TOKYO
Rep:
?
(Original post by modifiedgenes)
I am not an engineer of any kind.

I would strongly recommend you start reading from websites that feature chemical engineering. What the current challenges in the industry (the environmental impact of the chemistry industry, for example) and what future areas of research you think will be important (battery technology for electric cars- will lithium ion be the only solution or will others appear?).
I will do. Thanks for the advice.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you think it's worth me planning out answers to general questions or not? Because I don't want to be in a situation where I don't know how to answer a question or I say the wrong thing due to panicking.
It's a casual chat. It's really not that pressurised.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JaBing
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I turned up to the interview day with a half hour of sleep cos I was out the night before and still got an offer 😂.

Yeh the day is just about getting to know you really, I had no idea how to do 2/4 of the questions they asked me, the guy just told me how to do it. Afterwards I felt proper thick but yeah the way the guy talks about the day he makes it seem that you’ve already passed through the hurdle now this is just more like an induction day almost.
Good luck.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads