The Student Room Group

Am I burning out ? What can I do to still succeed in GCSEs ? Asking for some advice.

Scroll to see replies

i also started revision for my gcses in jan and it paid off because i wasn't stressed out come easter like other ppl & i got good grades. I would say sleep more and be more efficient in your working
Reply 21
Original post by blueworld2378
This is just ridiculous. Most people can get good grades by revising a few weeks before. I did my GCSEs last year and started in Feb. I built it up throughout the weeks to give myself plenty of rest. I even went on holiday for a week over Easter and did NO revision.

I got five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s.

That’s great.
But you’re still missing the point that I wanted to revise as it made me, and still makes me, happy doing it. If I did what you did, I wouldn’t be able to accept that I could have been that full grade 9 student, even full grade 8, but if I got them grades and revised like I am now, I can be at peace knowing I literally couldn’t have worked any harder, and so, it would have made the victory all the sweeter.
Reply 22
Original post by Deggs_14
Wow what you’re doing is quite incredible, but I think you’re overdoing it a bit! For context I got 99999988A*A* at GCSE and I built revision up from January. If you continue your current state of studying then you’ll quickly burn out and then all that intense study won’t be worth it. GCSEs individually are not that taxing but when combined it’s when people become overwhelmed. Make sure to enjoy other aspects if your life don’t stay up ridiculously late or only get 4 hours of sleep, that’s definitely not worth it! As much as it seems risky, “chill” for the time being. Incorporate exercise and other productive activities into your daily routine, such as exercise, reading, computer games or whatever interests you. Don’t feel guilty spending time doing things that you’ll enjoy, as this will make you more productive when it comes to studying. During my schoo l years I’ve never really had friends anyway, and I was spending all day every day revising during April/May time that I became frankly sick of it and was so bored of revising during June.

Them grades are like, probably one of the best I’ve even seen. Are you doing A levels now ? If so, what in and how are you finding them?
Reply 23
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm impressed that you're doing so much work and have these ambitions, but honestly, I doubt it's needed. Are you doing past papers as a part of your revision? If you are, and you're consistently getting the grades you need, you just need to keep doing those and refreshing your memory of content - you don't need to hammer it.

Also, without meaning to put you off, GCSEs are much easier than most people build themselves up to think. If you genuinely need to do this much work for your GCSEs, you'll never cope with A Levels, as these take much more work and revision, along with independent study. I don't say that to be mean, just to help you think about what you really need to do. Are you on half term this week? I know all of the schools near me are. If you are, don't do anything at all. Just have a week off, and come back fresh to it after the holidays. There's still enough time to do really well even if you hadn't started revision - and obviously you've been hammering it, so a week isn't going to do any harm.

After the holidays you will feel much more refreshed, and you can put a better plan in place. I would suggest never doing more than about 3 hours after school and 5 hours at the weekend. Unless you are genuinely incredibly behind, taking care of yourself is preferable to hammering content that you're already quite comfortable with, and considering the amount of work you've been doing I fail to see how this couldn't be the case.

I appreciate that, and have been having a break, I only did around 4 hours yesterday and basically had the whole day off.

For A levels, I don’t know how I will cope with them, but I do know that I revised the way I have for GCSEs out of choice- not because I couldn’t take in the information and hammering it was the only way I knew how to. In the summer mock I revised half a GCSE in 2 days, in 5 subjects, and got 8s and 9s in everything. But I don’t want that kind of panic and reliance upon the questions being nice on the day, for the real things.

I only revised basically so I didn’t have to panic like in March time, but instead, could basically just go over my notes now and do practise papers.
Reply 24
Original post by desert_fairy
i also started revision for my gcses in jan and it paid off because i wasn't stressed out come easter like other ppl & i got good grades. I would say sleep more and be more efficient in your working

I agree. Thanks.
Original post by lewis.h
That’s great.
But you’re still missing the point that I wanted to revise as it made me, and still makes me, happy doing it. If I did what you did, I wouldn’t be able to accept that I could have been that full grade 9 student, even full grade 8, but if I got them grades and revised like I am now, I can be at peace knowing I literally couldn’t have worked any harder, and so, it would have made the victory all the sweeter.

You are being stupid and ignoring people. I liked revision but even I got fed up. It isn't about quantity. You can get really good grades even if you only started a few weeks before.

And seriously? You are acting like you are only good if you get all 8s or above. Grow up and accept what good GCSEs actually look like.
Reply 26
Original post by blueworld2378
You are being stupid and ignoring people. I liked revision but even I got fed up. It isn't about quantity. You can get really good grades even if you only started a few weeks before.

And seriously? You are acting like you are only good if you get all 8s or above. Grow up and accept what good GCSEs actually look like.

I’m sorry, but there’s no need for rudeness.
You have a very good set of GCSEs, if you want me to blow smoke, and for the amount you sacrificed, you did thé best I’ve ever heard anyone do.
I, however, have put a lot more time towards them. Maybe it’s because I’m not as naturally intelligent as people like you ? Maybe it’s because I’m a lot more fearful and grades mean a lot more to me ? But I have reached a level of perfection and although 7s are an amazing grade, the time I’ve sacrificed means in my eyes it’s kind of just the bare minimum.
Original post by lewis.h
I’m sorry, but there’s no need for rudeness.
You have a very good set of GCSEs, if you want me to blow smoke, and for the amount you sacrificed, you did thé best I’ve ever heard anyone do.
I, however, have put a lot more time towards them. Maybe it’s because I’m not as naturally intelligent as people like you ? Maybe it’s because I’m a lot more fearful and grades mean a lot more to me ? But I have reached a level of perfection and although 7s are an amazing grade, the time I’ve sacrificed means in my eyes it’s kind of just the bare minimum.

You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answer, it doesn't make it rude.

And please, stop it with the amount of time stuff. You have no idea how much I did for the rest of the year for mocks and stuff and how much I did on each of the days. I don't know, or even care what you did, because it doesn't matter.

And please, the amount of revision has nothing to do with natural intelligence.

Please stop it with the whole "I've put in more effort and want better grades so should get better grades". It doesn't work like that.
Reply 28
Calling me “stupid” didn’t answer the question. Your parents would not be proud of their son/ daughter if they knew that they were verbally insulting someone on an online forum. Shameful.

Anyway, are you that arrogant that you have to take my words out of context; because I said I revised a long time, inevitably, I want good grades. I didn’t say that because I’ve devoted 6 months of my life to revision that they mean more to me than they did to you because you sacrificed 4 weeks of yours. But ay, in reality you “revised for mocks” and did “stuff”..”each night”. I assume that this was throughout the year, so you are just like me then, but just a little less intense, right ?

Anyway, have a nice day.
Original post by lewis.h
Calling me “stupid” didn’t answer the question. Your parents would not be proud of their son/ daughter if they knew that they were verbally insulting someone on an online forum. Shameful.

Anyway, are you that arrogant that you have to take my words out of context; because I said I revised a long time, inevitably, I want good grades. I didn’t say that because I’ve devoted 6 months of my life to revision that they mean more to me than they did to you because you sacrificed 4 weeks of yours. But ay, in reality you “revised for mocks” and did “stuff”..”each night”. I assume that this was throughout the year, so you are just like me then, but just a little less intense, right ?

Anyway, have a nice day.

But it is stupid to ask a question then basically ignore the answers that don't fit with your own view. I really don't care what people think.

Not arrogant, just correct.
Original post by lewis.h
In September up until now, I've been extremely driven- I've worked many hours a day studying / writing up flashcards for my GCSEs, I've had many 10 hour study days on the weekend, and I've got a heck of a lot of work done. I've worked on as little as 4 hours sleep for 4 days on the trot, and have sacrificed so much for my grades because I want to become a doctor.

People keep saying 'you're going to burn out' and I didn't really want to listen to them because the fire was in my heart and it made me happy studying, knowing I was giving my self the best chance of getting good GCSEs.

Yet now, during the middle of February, I feel like the fire is still in my heart to get the 8s and 9s, but it is my mind that is becoming increasingly tired and reluctant.
If I'm being honest, I've confined myself to a VERY strict routine of basically just study all day everyday, for the last few months.

I feel like I could be on the verge of burning out..

I really don't want to :-/ , but I just don't know what to do.

Do I give into my mind, or do I give in to my heart ?

I mean, all I do when I'm not working is worry about what I could be doing and my friends doing more than me, which will lead them to inevitably rubbing it in my face.

Man, this is a tough dilemma.

What do you think I should do ?

I need your advice. You might literally save my grades and dream of being a doctor.

Thanks.

Sometimes it's not just about the number of hours you spend revising but the quality of that revision. You don't need to kill yourself to get A*s. I wrote an article about my GCSEs, I got a clean sweep of 9s so I hope this helps https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s good to do plenty of work but there is such thing as doing too much work. Remember that you need a break so you can absorb the information you have just revised and it’s good to have a break, it prevents you from becoming too tired. It’s good to work but don’t overdo it. Good luck with your GCSEs! 👍

Quick Reply

Latest