Hooke's Law/SHM Question Watch

RussianQuestion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I've managed to get as far as part d on this, but don't know how to start (answer to part c is 1.21ms-1). I also don't understand the general movement of the particle - it's displaced, then undergoes SHM then suddenly the particle moves up enough to go slack?

Attached files
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RussianQuestion)
Hi everyone, I've managed to get as far as part d on this, but don't know how to start (answer to part c is 1.21ms-1). I also don't understand the general movement of the particle - it's displaced, then undergoes SHM then suddenly the particle moves up enough to go slack?
For part (d) the motion of the particle is in two parts. You have to calculate the time for each part separately then add the times together. The first part of the motion is SHM in the upwards direction from point B (0.95m below A) to the point where the string goes slack (0.8m below A). The particle is still moving upwards at this point and becomes a projectile moving vertically under the influence of gravity. The particle will come to instantaneous rest at the top of its flight as a projectile. You can use SUVAT to determine the time taken from 0.8m below A to the top of the particle's flight.
RussianQuestion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
For part (d) the motion of the particle is in two parts. You have to calculate the time for each part separately then add the times together. The first part of the motion is SHM in the upwards direction from point B (0.95m below A) to the point where the string goes slack (0.8m below A). The particle is still moving upwards at this point and becomes a projectile moving vertically under the influence of gravity. The particle will come to instantaneous rest at the top of its flight as a projectile. You can use SUVAT to determine the time taken from 0.8m below A to the top of the particle's flight.
Thank you for your help - as for the calculation, I think I will be fine there. However, does the particle actually oscillate then? Or does it go straight up from 0.95 below A (SHM but not actually passing the equilibrium point more than once) until the string goes slack? In which case, if there's no actual oscillation, how does this count as SHM?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RussianQuestion)
Thank you for your help - as for the calculation, I think I will be fine there. However, does the particle actually oscillate then? Or does it go straight up from 0.95 below A (SHM but not actually passing the equilibrium point more than once) until the string goes slack? In which case, if there's no actual oscillation, how does this count as SHM?
Assuming no energy loss, the motion of the particle will be cyclic but not pure SHM. Each complete cycle will be partly SHM (while the string is under tension) and partly projectile-like (while the string is slack).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (96)
16.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
29.98%

Watched Threads