unemployed Watch

Ilinca2019
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am in a very inconvenient situation at the moment - being a full time (postgrad.)student I've been trying to find a part-time job in the past 4 months to be able to cover my living expenses however, as I've already convinced myself, employers don't prefer students. This is very annoying because I have the time to work ... I could work but I can't find a job 😭 and as far as I am concerned I cannot get any financial support from elsewhere, except from my parents which I am trying not to do. How do other students cover their expenses?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ilinca2019)
I am in a very inconvenient situation at the moment - being a full time (postgrad.)student I've been trying to find a part-time job in the past 4 months to be able to cover my living expenses however, as I've already convinced myself, employers don't prefer students. This is very annoying because I have the time to work ... I could work but I can't find a job 😭 and as far as I am concerned I cannot get any financial support from elsewhere, except from my parents which I am trying not to do. How do other students cover their expenses?
Don't convince yourself that employers will not employ students - what kind of roles have you been applying for? You could look to do part time work such as retail, bar work or waitressing. These are common roles that students do during their studies. Write a CV or application that highlights your relevant skills and any experience, or ask friends if they know of any vacancies, or just ask round to see if they are hiring.
D.E.K.U
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're at university you could always teach in your subject online through websites like tutorful where timing shouldn't necessarily be an issue for you as you can decide what times you want to do and you can decide how much you want to make (quite a few people who I saw on thew website ,who have their bachelor's degree charge £15-£20 which would really help).

If you don't like that just keep trying applying to jobs. Apply to any you possibly can. Even if it's just McDonalds just do it, earn a little bit of money and gain some experience while you keep looking for another job and change over. I'm a student and I applied to 67 places before I got a job but it can be done. Go to small shops as well and just hand in your CV.

Just make a list of places like: Greggs, tesco, h&m, m&s, costa, starbucks, pizza hut, schuh, wagamamas, nandos and check on their company websites and just keep applying. If they didn't hire you the first time just keep trying.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What experience do you have and where have you been applying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (97)
16.78%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.47%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.22%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.03%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
29.93%

Watched Threads