MusabKhan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey
So essentially when I started my A levels I was doing Maths, further maths, chemistry and biology. My teachers were pressuring me to drop a subject so I dropped biology as I found it the least entertaining of the three. However, now I want to go medical school but I've heard medical schools hate further maths. So should I take biology at AS? Should I not or am I screwed either way?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you should research specific med school's requirements

many only require chemistry and one from maths/bio/physics with no preference for third subject! if youre unsure after reading their website, call or email their admissions and theyll be happy to advise you
blueworld2378
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many medical schools count Maths and Further Maths as one qualification, even though it is two.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MusabKhan)
Hey
So essentially when I started my A levels I was doing Maths, further maths, chemistry and biology. My teachers were pressuring me to drop a subject so I dropped biology as I found it the least entertaining of the three. However, now I want to go medical school but I've heard medical schools hate further maths. So should I take biology at AS? Should I not or am I screwed either way?
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for entry requirements. You have seriously limited your choices but there are med schools who do not need Biology. Read the pdf for a list.

(Original post by sotor)
you should research specific med school's requirements

many only require chemistry and one from maths/bio/physics with no preference for third subject! if youre unsure after reading their website, call or email their admissions and theyll be happy to advise you
:yy: :ta:
georgimidd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
only a few unis want chemistry and another science but most unis want biology and chemistry so not having biology might limit the unis you can apply to
Sheperd23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey
i know people say "oh its too late" etc, but as another FM student, im sure the catching up will take a few weeks , but it should work out in the end!
So don't be afraid to catch up over the half term if ur sure

(im in a very similar position )
MusabKhan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kangaroo17)
i know people say "oh its too late" etc, but as another FM student, im sure the catching up will take a few weeks , but it should work out in the end!
So don't be afraid to catch up over the half term if ur sure

(im in a very similar position )
Oh right fair enough. You gonna take biology now?
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh right fair enough. You gonna take biology now?
Haven't fully decided yet. gonna decide over half term, but also do note taking from the beginning just incase i do change.
MusabKhan
Rep:
?
Haven't fully decided yet. gonna decide over half term, but also do note taking from the beginning just incase i do change.
Fair enough, good luck though mate!
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fair enough, good luck though mate!
Gl to you too! What are you planning on doing then?
MusabKhan
Rep:
?
Gl to you too! What are you planning on doing then?
Medicine, probably at Anglia Ruskin as it's close!
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you in Year 12 btw? And as in are you possibly switching subjects?
Its been stressing me out lol.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chem, Maths and FM seems to be ok for Anglia Ruskin. As others above have stated, though, you are seriously limiting your options both by not taken Biology and having FM as your third A-level.

When did you drop Biology? I'm sure you can catch up if you restart it, but you will have to ensure that you go back and do any lab work you missed.
MusabKhan
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Chem, Maths and FM seems to be ok for Anglia Ruskin. As others above have stated, though, you are seriously limiting your options both by not taken Biology and having FM as your third A-level.

When did you drop Biology? I'm sure you can catch up if you restart it, but you will have to ensure that you go back and do any lab work you missed.
Yeah, I know. I dropped it in November so I got a decent amount of work done. Problem is that my college won't let me restart it this late in the year.
Nautilus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most medical schools won't consider maths and further maths as separate subjects.

Info here:
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/
BoilingMarmalade
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent the first year of my biomedical science degree wishing I'd done biology A level - I did manage to catch up though.

Don't fall out with biology all together because you will have to learn A LOT of biology if you go on to study medicine! I'm going through interviews for graduate medicine right now and also doing A level biology as a private candidate. I don't know about you, but I love human biology, but all the plant stuff just doesn't interest me!
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BoilingMarmalade)
I spent the first year of my biomedical science degree wishing I'd done biology A level - I did manage to catch up though.

Don't fall out with biology all together because you will have to learn A LOT of biology if you go on to study medicine! I'm going through interviews for graduate medicine right now and also doing A level biology as a private candidate. I don't know about you, but I love human biology, but all the plant stuff just doesn't interest me!
aw why do many dislike the plant side? The way a tree works, plants live, different flora and fauna is just amazinggg
The Medic Portal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey
Hi there!

Many medical schools do require Chemistry and Biology at A-Level, and some do state that Further Maths cannot count toward your offer if you are studying Maths at A-Level. However, it's worth noting that all medical schools are different - you can see exactly which subjects different universities require on our What A-Levels Do You Need to be a Doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads