Imperial Rejection WTF Watch

boi_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just got my rejection from imperial and I don’t understand what grounds they have rejected me on.
I applied on (for mech eng) October 2nd with 4 A* predictions,
9A*s 2As at GCSE and a strong personal statement, yet they rejected me without an interview.

Why, what could it possibly be? And what are my options?
eez
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
too good for them
1Person
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask the admission office for feedback if you want to know why they rejected you.
Your other UCAS choices are your options now.
boi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
too good for them
It would be my firm 😢
MediocreSince01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could just be there were too many candidates applying and so they had to cut some, regardless of ability. If you’re applying for a competitive course, sometimes these things happen. Equally did you have the a levels they require/recommend?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by MediocreSince01; 4 weeks ago
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask for feedback. I assume your A-levels contain the required subjects.
1Person
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
It would be my firm 😢
It was your firm, sorry but it isn't anymore. Imperial is top 10 in the world for engineering and they won't reconsider your application even if you beg them to. (only if they made a mistake, which is extremely unlikely)
boi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1Person)
Ask the admission office for feedback if you want to know why they rejected you.
Your other UCAS choices are your options now.
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
Could just be there were too many candidates applying and so they had to cut some, regardless of ability. If you’re applying for a competitive course, sometimes these things happen. Equally did you have the a levels they require/recommend?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Ask for feedback. I assume your A-levels contain the required subjects.
Yeah a levels are maths, further, physics, chem. I’ve emailed the admissions team, literally no idea why they would reject me without interview
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
I just got my rejection from imperial and I don’t understand what grounds they have rejected me on.
Sorry to hear that.

We don't know either - you need to contact Imperial tomorrow. Only they know why they've rejected you.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
Yeah a levels are maths, further, physics, chem. I’ve emailed the admissions team, literally no idea why they would reject me without interview
Do they actually interview applicants for this course?
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
I applied on (for mech eng) October 2nd with 4 A* predictions,
9A*s 2As at GCSE and a strong personal statement, yet they rejected me without an interview.

Why, what could it possibly be? And what are my options?
what are your backup options?
boi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Do they actually interview applicants for this course?
Yeah, they’ve interviews every other person at my school
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did they tell you why? Any feedback whatsoever?
boi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
what are your backup options?
I have 3 other offers thankfully, but I’m considering reapplying after a year I’m industry
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
I have 3 other offers thankfully, but I’m considering reapplying after a year I’m industry
maybe if you have strong exra-curriculars & time to study their SAT you could see if MIT or harvey mudd in the US would offer you a scholarship?
Afterlife?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe your personal statement just wasn’t as good as you initially thought
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
STLJA
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry to hear. Congrats on your other offers.

Imperial attracts very high calibre students and most applicants would have top predicted grades. There was probably many more applicants than places so even students with great credentials like yours may be rejected. A strong personal statement has a degree of subjectivity between different uni admission departments so maybe they didn't see yours to be as strong as other applicants. Ask for feedback.
Last edited by STLJA; 4 weeks ago
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by STLJA)
Sorry to hear. Congrats on your other offers.

Imperial attracts very high calibre students and most applicants would have top predicted grades. There was probably many more applicants than places so even students with great credentials like yours may be rejected. A strong personal statement has a degree of subjectivity between different uni admission departments so maybe they didn't see yours to be as strong as other applicants. Ask for feedback.
I agree, it would be interesting to read the personal statement and the references.
boi_
Rep:
?
I emailed them last night, and I've just called them, but it doesn't look like they're going to give me any useful feedback, they are just saying 'high volume of applicants' 'only a few interview slots' etc. My personal statement I feel was objectively at least strong; I had relevant work experiences, good relevant projects and extra curricular activities etc, but obviously I can't post it on here as I may choose to reapply with it next year (or at least some of it).

Do I have any grounds to appeal? I will wait until they reply to my email, but if I don't get any real reason as to why they rejected me pre interview, I would like to appeal as I seriously believe that I deserved at least an interview.
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boi_)
Do I have any grounds to appeal? I will wait until they reply to my email, but if I don't get any real reason as to why they rejected me pre interview, I would like to appeal as I seriously believe that I deserved at least an interview.
Sorry to hear about the Imperial College decision. I looked up the relevant section in their Admissions Policy:

7. APPEALS AND COMPLAINTS
7.1. Please note that you may not appeal against the academic or professional
judgement of those making a decision, but you may appeal the decision if you
believe an administrative error has occurred in the processing of your
application.

There is also further information about how to proceed. Please see the detailed policy here:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/impe...applicants.pdf

The chances of overturning the decision are slim to zero, but there's nothing stopping you from trying.

Where else do you hold offers from? Would you be happy to study at any of those places instead of Imperial?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (96)
16.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
29.98%

Watched Threads