Need help with Computer science advise? Watch

shaktheshark
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What courses do i need to do for A levels so I can get in Uni? Which is the best section of computer science where sports and traveling is involved rather than sitting down in office?
Liverpool Hope University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shaktheshark)
What courses do i need to do for A levels so I can get in Uni? Which is the best section of computer science where sports and traveling is involved rather than sitting down in office?
Hello :thumbsup:,

Firstly I would recommend checking on the university website of which you wish to eventually want to apply for, to see if they have a set subject requirement for any Computer Science courses they offer. For example our Computer Science course requires UCAS points of 112-120 and we don't ask for any certain courses/subjects to of previously been studied. Some universities will require certain A-Level subjects/G.C.S.E's however.

If you are also interested in studying sports and travel why not look at maybe doing a combination subject and combine Computer Science with Sport and Exercise Science/Physical Education or with Tourism. You can check on UCAS to see what universities offer these options.

I hope this helps,
Tom :hello:
shaktheshark
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much

(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hello :thumbsup:,

Firstly I would recommend checking on the university website of which you wish to eventually want to apply for, to see if they have a set subject requirement for any Computer Science courses they offer. For example our Computer Science course requires UCAS points of 112-120 and we don't ask for any certain courses/subjects to of previously been studied. Some universities will require certain A-Level subjects/G.C.S.E's however.

If you are also interested in studying sports and travel why not look at maybe doing a combination subject and combine Computer Science with Sport and Exercise Science/Physical Education or with Tourism. You can check on UCAS to see what universities offer these options.

I hope this helps,
Tom :hello:
Liverpool Hope University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much
Hey

No problems at all, just give us a message if you need any more advice. :jiggy:

Tom
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It varies wildly from uni to uni. For the most part, there aren't any specific A Levels. Some unis would like to see A Level Maths but not all of them. Exact UCAS points will vary depending on the uni. Generally speaking, STEM and relevant subjects are likely to give you a stronger chance at getting in, but they're not mandatory.

Computer Science, Sports and Travelling are 3 totally independent fields. You may find that there are aspects of CompSci that involve Sports or Travelling though. For example technology in sports, or the travelling involved in some consultancy roles. But generally speaking, there's only so much you can do to avoid sitting at a desk using a computer. That's kind of a major element.

Trying to combine CompSci, Sports and Travel is probably not a good idea. You risk restricting yourself to a very niche field, that may offer little to no employability prospects, and your skills will generally suffer as you divide your attention. It's fine to have broad interests, but if you're not a fan of the "sitting in an office" mentality, uni may not be for you. There will be an awful lot of sitting down in lectures, practical classes and while working on projects. Most people who are interested in computers and a sport, say Football, will do one as their degree and another as a hobby. They won't try and force the two together.
yoyo334
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I recommend taking subjects that you enjoy because it will lead to something that you enjoy and ultimately you'll do better because you enjoy it. I did Maths, English Lit, Geography, Chemistry at A level and an EPQ on Psychology and now study Computer Science at York uni. Pretty sure I'm the only one on my course with this combo! I think most uni's just require Maths (have a scout around) for Comp Sci and even if they don't I still think it's useful to have - the people who did further maths are finding the maths modules a bit easier but it is definitely not required as they teach you from the A level stuff.

Depending on where you're looking and in terms of which course to do I think to keep your options open taking a couple of facilitating subjects (maths and further maths, physics, biology, chemistry, history, geography, modern and classical languages, and English literature) is a good idea as well as maybe doing a fun one i.e PE if your school offer it . I had no idea which degree I wanted to do at A levels but taking a couple of these gave me choices and is useful as you may change your mind!

Re travelling I'm not sure how easy it is to do as part of a course but you can definitely travel at uni! Some uni's offer years abroad and most have volunteering schemes abroad in the Summer situated in Asia/Africa, you'll also have very long Summer's which you can fit lots of travelling into. Similarly there are plenty of sports societies that you can get involved with alongside your studies either participating, coaching or being on the committee as a treasurer etc. not only will this be fun but secondly it will look good on your CV as you try and enter this field.

A couple of people from my school do Sports Science which might also be worth looking into. Also despite all the uni stuff your school may be bombarding you with it may be good to have a quick look online to see if there are any non-uni options that tickle your fancy, you won't be crippled with debt and there may be a course/apprenticeship that is more interesting and in line with what you'd like to do which is the most important thing .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads