And then either law, criminology or business
Which do you think?
Thanks!!
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hold on, why do you care what we think? Are TSR members really that important? I think it is important to consider what you think. Do you enjoy those subjects, and do you think they will give you the best chance at studying what you would like in the future?
Lukem14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Hold on, why do you care what we think? Are TSR members really that important? I think it is important to consider what you think. Do you enjoy those subjects, and do you think they will give you the best chance at studying what you would like in the future?
I enjoy sociology at gcse and think I’ll enjoy the others but just don’t know which ones to pick.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lukem14)
Heyy, I’m wondering what you guys think about these a level choices-
Sociology
Psychology
Which do you think?
Thanks!!
all soft subjects. should be absolutely fine as long as you don't want to go to the top 5 or so unis or study a particularly competitive course like Law.
Conniestitution
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pick whatever you want! My personal advice would be pick subjects you think you'll like, and make sure any dream universities you have accept them for any dream degrees. If you don't want to go to university or your ideal unis accept these subjects, then go ahead!
Sataris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Poss look at a harder essay writing subject since you'll be doing plenty of that at uni
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
all soft subjects. should be absolutely fine as long as you don't want to go to the top 5 or so unis or study a particularly competitive course like Law.
Ash.lyy got an offer to study law at Cambridge, and she is studying A-level fine art, law and English literature. I'm not sure A-levels in fine art and law are traditional subjects. Isn't fine art a 'soft subject'? Hmm, maybe the admissions tutors at Cambridge for a 'particularly competitive course' were smoking some brilliant pot when making that decision!

CharlieMonster got an offer to study law at Cambridge with an AS in government and politics and is studying A-level ancient history. Once again, I feel that something is wrong here. Government politics and ancient history aren't f*cking traditional! Disgusting! Maybe the admissions tutors were bribed?

The two aforementioned users disclose their success on this thread (pages one and four): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5807540

Maybe, just maybe, traditional subjects aren't exactly as big of a deal as one may make them out to be.

(Sorry for tagging you two, I just thought your cases were particularly interesting in these circumstances.)
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 weeks ago
username4151304
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ash.lyy got an offer to study law at Cambridge, and she is studying A-level fine art, law and English literature. I'm not sure A-levels in fine art and law are traditional subjects. Isn't fine art a 'soft subject'? Hmm, maybe the admissions tutors at Cambridge for a 'particularly competitive course' were smoking some brilliant pot when making that decision!

CharlieMonster got an offer to study law at Cambridge with an AS in government and politics and is studying A-level ancient history. Once again, I feel that something is wrong here. Government politics and ancient history aren't f*cking traditional! Disgusting! Maybe the admissions tutors were bribed?

The two aforementioned users disclose their success on this thread (pages one and four): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5807540

Maybe, just maybe, traditional subjects aren't exactly as big of a deal as one may make them out to be.

(Sorry for tagging you two, I just thought your cases were particularly interesting in these circumstances.)
Well brilliant pot it must have been! 😂 This the most humorous response I’ve seen in a while.

My offer is not common and should not be a basis of what other people can study, if I was a tutor I’d be scratching my head and laughing. I personally needed soft subjects to balance with my person obstacles.

But anyway Lukem14 I suggest adding at least one facilitating subject, two would be more ideal ( my college and my parent thought the strain would be to great for me to handle, but I do regret not taking two). Do you enjoy English Literature, Maths, Geography, History or a language. This is just so you diversify your application margins. However, if you really enjoy those subjects go for it!! I’m currently studying law and it’s amazing!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sociology
Psychology
Which do you think?
Thanks!!
Why not do proper subjects - such as English or History - far more transferable
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lukem14 You've been asking us about your A-level choices off and on for the past 6 months. We keep on putting our heads together, and we give you answers.

Now if fashion is your career goal, maybe it would be better to think about Textiles or Fine Art? Business is a good one for that, too. Sociology and Psychology possibly not so much, but take one of those if you like, too.

So, figure out (1) what do you want to do at 18, (2) what you're really good at now, and (3) how you're going to marry the two at A-level/BTEC? If you're not sure about (1), then the answer to (3) will have to be more flexible.

Feel free to come back to the forum, but please focus your question around (1), (2) and (3).
jonathanjames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sociology
Psychology
Which do you think?
Thanks!!
What do you want to go into? Because those a levels are pretty limited and will hinder your course choice considerably unless you've decided you want to human sciences, and even then they won't really carry you through very well....
CharlieMonster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Haha, wish I had the resources to bribe 😂

It's true though, traditional subjects aren't that important. I don't do any "traditional" or "facilitating" subjects and have an offer from Cambridge Law. I actually take, Law, Sociology and Ancient History at A Level so Lukem14 your choices definitely won't limit you in any way. It's best to do what you enjoy which will easily lead to good grades so just pick the subjects you're most interested in.

Also, from my personal experience, most people seem to dismiss non-traditional subjects, but Universities seems to understand how demanding these so-called "soft" subjects are. For instance, I cannot explain how much work needs to go into Ancient History. (They're all academic subjects anyway do just pick your favourites and it'll be fine)
Last edited by CharlieMonster; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (84)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.03%

Watched Threads