The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
ChrisBarnes
hi there, thinking of going to nottingham, just going to say, someone i know went there and apparently noone goes into the city centre on friday or saturday nights because its too dangerous? any truth in this, and what do you think of nottingham's reputation as a dangerous city? also, does everyone go home at the weekend?

I go out in nottingham all the time on the weekend. It's not any more dangerous than any other city at that time. I guess if you insist on going out in massive groups wearing your hall hoodies then you'd probably attract some unwanted attention, but more fool you.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
i go to nottingham every day or so.. i work there at weekend. In fact, i havent been on campus for months, the city is far more interesting for going out. Its fine.
Reply 3
I've been out in Nottingham loads at the weekend, absolutely no problems at all. It's easily one of my favourite cities in the UK.
ChrisBarnes
also, does everyone go home at the weekend?

actually yeah,coz at the weekends VAMPIRES come out.B careful:eek:
stick to the main streets and clubs and you'll be ite :biggrin:

it's only the back/side streets and outer suburbs that generate most crime!
Reply 6
Most students go out during the week but because thats when the student club nights are on. Nothing to do with crime!
Reply 7
ChrisBarnes
hi there, thinking of going to nottingham, just going to say, someone i know went there and apparently noone goes into the city centre on friday or saturday nights because its too dangerous? any truth in this, and what do you think of nottingham's reputation as a dangerous city? also, does everyone go home at the weekend?

What? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard, and the first I've heard of it. I mean, of course, don't be stupid and start going out at night in the dark on your own, but that's a given in any city. But otherwise, it's just like every other big city - don't be stupid and you'll be just fine.

Btw, Fri nights certainly, the city is jam-packed.

As for people going home at the weekends - that does happen quite often. In halls often the weekends will be the quieter days, but see it this way - you can finally get some work done. I know that's not a primary concern of most first years, but sooner or later you'll count quieter days a blessing, for either work, or more likely, sleep.

As for Notts as a dangerous city - as with every big city, there're good and bad areas. So avoid the bad areas and don't be stupid and start going out at 1am on your own, and you'll be just fine. Think London, and do you hear of scares like this? No. Is there bad crime in the capital of the country? Hell yeh. See people freak about it? No. Like I say, be smart about it and you'll do just fine, Notts included.

Besides, a vibrant, healthy population of students from two separate universities, not to mention all the families and permanent residents of Nottingham should surely be evidence enough that, no, you're not signing your own death warrant by coming here! :smile:

Sorry, had this question of crime tooooo many times lol.

Although, areas to avoid: Radford, St Ann's and Meadows :smile: So St Peter's Court is the only campus you'll need to worry about as it's the only campus in Radford for our uni. Otherwise, you needn't worry about being in those areas until you start sorting out housing for your second year, by which point you should know the ropes anyway :smile:
Reply 8
thanks very much all of you for your help. im thinking of aston, leeds, mahcester, notts, bath and lancaster but i just simply cannot decide! im going to look round 4 and keep changing my mind as to which, im thinking of doing business studies and apparently notts is good for that as well!
Reply 9
its not because its dangerous on friday nights, its because there arent decent student nights on those days. nottingham isnt dangerous.
Reply 10
kingprawn
its not because its dangerous on friday nights, its because there arent decent student nights on those days.

tell that to the ocean queue on a friday night!
Reply 11
ChrisBarnes

Your friend sounds like a pussy. I hope nottingham Uni's not full of pussies like your friend.
Reply 12
Babylazy
Your friend sounds like a pussy. I hope nottingham Uni's not full of pussies like your friend.

^ HA made me laugh..some 1 had to say it. damn right. why do people worry about this SO MUCH, its nottingham (small city) not chicago south side for fecks sake
Reply 13
yeah i didnt believe him to be honest. probs just says that to fob his mum off.

Latest

Trending

Trending