University Degree Worried About Title Prospects Watch

unistud98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi currently study at university and my degree classification when i graduate will be BSc Multimedia Studies (Web Design).

Im getting really worried about this and the possibility of lack of opportunity i will be in for once i graduate. Does anyone else have this or know of the opportunities i will be faced with once graduating. Im looking at getting a 1st for my degree classification and my modules contain front end programming etc but not to sure on a career prospect in the future which is making me nervous.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by unistud98)
Hi currently study at university and my degree classification when i graduate will be BSc Multimedia Studies (Web Design).

Im getting really worried about this and the possibility of lack of opportunity i will be in for once i graduate. Does anyone else have this or know of the opportunities i will be faced with once graduating. Im looking at getting a 1st for my degree classification and my modules contain front end programming etc but not to sure on a career prospect in the future which is making me nervous.
What experience will you have when you graduate? Internships, summer jobs, part-time jobs, projects, year in industry etc? That’s what will set you apart.
unistud98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
What experience will you have when you graduate? Internships, summer jobs, part-time jobs, projects, year in industry etc? That’s what will set you apart.
Currently on placement within industry so should have a year experience as a web content manager but not sure if my degree title will affect my chances within the future of employment.
unistud98
Rep:
?
Has anyone got or doing a similar degree as me?
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by unistud98)
Currently on placement within industry so should have a year experience as a web content manager but not sure if my degree title will affect my chances within the future of employment.
It's not important since the title of a degree doesn't actually tell them any useful information about you or your suitability for the job. What's more important is making sure that your CV contains plenty of detail about your skills and experience so that they understand your background and have an idea of whether you're likely to be a close enough fit for the job for them to decide to interview you.

A large part of it really depends on what kinds of jobs you're after when you graduate too - 'web content manager' doesn't sound very technical, so you might be lacking the skills for a web development job (which is usually very programming-heavy; including JavaScript but also back-end technologies too).

Aside from that, once you're sitting in an interview, then their decision to hire is based on how well you perform during the interview, and how well you can demonstrate your skills and experience. The skills you learn on your placement and pick up on your degree will be extremely important, and your final-year-project will also play a big part too, as well as any other personal projects which you might have to showcase your ability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads