The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to find employment after graduating?

Poll

What did you find held you back from finding work? Did you take a break after university or start looking for work immediately?
Started applying to graduate jobs around September before graduation (MEng in Mechanical Engineering). Previously had applied to placement schemes with guaranteed jobs but was not successful with those. Hundreds of rejections at various stages due to inadequate social/interpersonal skills. Also applied to minimum wage jobs after graduation. Had to move away from the city I graduated in and back in with parents after about 3-4 months. Wasn't until 18 months after graduation I got a job in retail when a new store opened.
Original post by swelshie
Started applying to graduate jobs around September before graduation (MEng in Mechanical Engineering). Previously had applied to placement schemes with guaranteed jobs but was not successful with those. Hundreds of rejections at various stages due to inadequate social/interpersonal skills. Also applied to minimum wage jobs after graduation. Had to move away from the city I graduated in and back in with parents after about 3-4 months. Wasn't until 18 months after graduation I got a job in retail when a new store opened.

Are you still working in the same role? How are you finding it if so?
Original post by shadowdweller
Are you still working in the same role? How are you finding it if so?

No I am not working in retail any more. Current position is production job for a pharmaceutical company (did not/do not need a degree for this position but it helps). In fact most difficult part of being employed at all was convincing the interviewers I was not a "flight risk" i.e. Likely to leave for a higher paid job at short notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending