Social Work at Queens University Interviews 2019 Watch

shannonhwood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I have applied to study Social Work at Queens 2019/2020, I have received my letter inviting me to interview so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on what the questions might be around? This is my second time applying and to be a social worker is all I really want to do so I am very nervous and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
KainsBanes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As a social worker currently trying to escape the area, this made me laugh. Anyway, don't overthink it. They will really just be trying to check that you're not an awful human being harbouring racist, etc. views. Read up on news in the area of health and social care (big topics such as cuts to funds, changes in legislation having a big impact, etc.), prepare rough answers on what you think the job is about, why you've been drawn to it, why you think you're suited to it, etc. Think about areas that make the job very difficult to let them know you don't expect to be changing the world but maybe, if you're lucky, making improvements to people's lives. Also, learn some of the essentially meaningless buzzwords that they like to hear: person-centred approach, anti-discriminatory practice, and maybe learn a bit about CBT.
Lisa_Th
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Quite a patronising opening comment KainsBanes, you must have really wanted to be a social worker yourself at one point.
KainsBanes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lisa_Th)
Quite a patronising opening comment KainsBanes, you must have really wanted to be a social worker yourself at one point.
It's hardly patronising to preface my comment by essentially saying I find enthusiasm to get into such a thankless and draining job amusing. In any case, I then followed my awful condescention by providing helpful advice. I think your comment to me might be more accurately described as patronising; your comment criticises mine, assumes my state of mind before entering social work and fails to provide the poster with any constructive feedback.
CJ07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When is your interview? I've only just sent my second personal statement today.
Have my interview for Ulster tomorrow. Nervous would be an understatement!

(Original post by shannonhwood)Hi, I have applied to study Social Work at Queens 2019/2020, I have received my letter inviting me to interview so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on what the questions might be around? This is my second time applying and to be a social worker is all I really want to do so I am very nervous and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
shannonhwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by KainsBanes)
As a social worker currently trying to escape the area, this made me laugh. Anyway, don't overthink it. They will really just be trying to check that you're not an awful human being harbouring racist, etc. views. Read up on news in the area of health and social care (big topics such as cuts to funds, changes in legislation having a big impact, etc.), prepare rough answers on what you think the job is about, why you've been drawn to it, why you think you're suited to it, etc. Think about areas that make the job very difficult to let them know you don't expect to be changing the world but maybe, if you're lucky, making improvements to people's lives. Also, learn some of the essentially meaningless buzzwords that they like to hear: person-centred approach, anti-discriminatory practice, and maybe learn a bit about CBT.
I appreciate your advice, thanks!
shannonhwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJ07)
When is your interview? I've only just sent my second personal statement today.
Have my interview for Ulster tomorrow. Nervous would be an understatement!

(Original post by shannonhwood)Hi, I have applied to study Social Work at Queens 2019/2020, I have received my letter inviting me to interview so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on what the questions might be around? This is my second time applying and to be a social worker is all I really want to do so I am very nervous and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
My interview is tomorrow morning i'm with you on that one just trying to stay calm! Yeah a few people in my class have only sent their 2nd personal statement off there for Queens but then again I haven't heard anything from Ulster at all?! All the best with your interview tomorrow!
CJ07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh goodness you're definitely in the same boat as me then! I'm frantically making notes here in the hope that some of it will stick!
Good luck for yours too, hopefully they won't be as bad as we're expecting!
(Original post by shannonhwood)My interview is tomorrow morning i'm with you on that one just trying to stay calm! Yeah a few people in my class have only sent their 2nd personal statement off there for Queens but then again I haven't heard anything from Ulster at all?! All the best with your interview tomorrow!
shannonhwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJ07)
Oh goodness you're definitely in the same boat as me then! I'm frantically making notes here in the hope that some of it will stick!
Good luck for yours too, hopefully they won't be as bad as we're expecting!
(Original post by shannonhwood)My interview is tomorrow morning i'm with you on that one just trying to stay calm! Yeah a few people in my class have only sent their 2nd personal statement off there for Queens but then again I haven't heard anything from Ulster at all?! All the best with your interview tomorrow!
Honestly same! Thank you, hopefully not!
kelly2020
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shannonhwood)
Hi, I have applied to study Social Work at Queens 2019/2020, I have received my letter inviting me to interview so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on what the questions might be around? This is my second time applying and to be a social worker is all I really want to do so I am very nervous and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
you could have a wee read at the previous years.
some are close to 100 pages but very valuable information.
could you share a little bit about how was first time? what was the process then?
Thanks
shannonhwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by kelly2020)
you could have a wee read at the previous years.
some are close to 100 pages but very valuable information.
could you share a little bit about how was first time? what was the process then?
Thanks
I done the interview this morning! The process the first time I went to interview didn’t involve a case scenario, however this time it did.. I thought the case scenario situation was good as it gave you a bit more confidence to think about social work and write some good info down before the formal interview!
kelly2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
@Aries2018 I hope you need to wait for a while some people just got this week to sign the proforma.. so no interview in pipeline. as per previous years takes a while.. so May is definitely the cutoff.. as told by a friend
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mrsd2019
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Shannonhwood, I have my interview on Tuesday, what was your case scenario based on? Would you share your questions please?
Sophie106
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I’ve also got an interview on Wednesday. I am just wondering what yous are wearing to the interview?
SWIrish
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone receive any offers yet?
kelly2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
swi I think it's a wee bit too early for offers. some of us still didn't get the invitation for interview. as per last year it will take a while.. but I could be wrong
SWIrish
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
kelly2020Oh okay. I had my interview last Tuesday. It’s the furthest stage I’ve got to so I’m not sure of the process from this point. The waiting is tough!
Meganm5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have an interview next Thursday in Magee, can anyone share their questions? Any advice for preparing??
kelly2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
no questions are shared in this forum. it will not be fair for the ones whom had the interviews already.
kelly2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
how long it took from sending your second statement until you've received your letter for the interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (438)
26.4%
The paper was reasonable (715)
43.1%
Not feeling great about that exam (330)
19.89%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
10.61%

Watched Threads