Can I do a Computer Science Degree without a computer science GCSE and A level?

Watch
icedgeems
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When I was in year 9 I made the biggest mistake of my life: not choosing to do a computer science GCSE. On top of that my sixth form didn't offer a computer science A level as not enough students signed up to do it.
Currently i'm in year 12 (studying Maths, Physics and Psychology) and deciding what to do at uni. I have come to realise that I want a career in technology (AI, video games - i'm not entirely sure yet) so think that a computer science degree would be ideal for me, however as I have no knowledge on computer science I was just wondering whether the course would be too hard or if it's manageable without the GCSE and A level.

Thanks
Last edited by icedgeems; 1 year ago
rpinder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are absolutely fine. No university requires a computer science GCSE or A Level.
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by icedgeems)
When I was in year 9 I made the biggest decision of my life: not choosing to do a computer science GCSE. On top of that my sixth form didn't offer a computer science A level as not enough students signed up to do it.
Currently i'm in year 12 (studying Maths, Physics and Psychology) and deciding what to do at uni. I have come to realise that I want a career in technology (AI, video games - i'm not entirely sure yet) so think that a computer science degree would be ideal for me, however as I have no knowledge on computer science I was just wondering whether the course would be too hard or if it's manageable without the GCSE and A level.

Thanks
According to the Institute of Analysts and Programmers, "few courses specify A Level Computing or equivalent", so you may be OK on this front. However, they usually require good grades in your other subjects, especially maths as many computer science courses are very maths-focused. For example, BSc Computer Science at Manchester requires "Grades A*AA including A* in mathematics. 5 GCSES at Grade A/7 or B/6 (both numeric and letter grade) including:
mathematics (please note we do not accept Applied GCSE Mathematics courses e.g. WJEC Mathematics - Numeracy)
two science subjects from computer science, physics, chemistry, biology or science and additional science." (Manchester is considered a top uni, though, so take that with a pinch of salt).
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I was in year 9 I made the biggest decision of my life: not choosing to do a computer science GCSE. On top of that my sixth form didn't offer a computer science A level as not enough students signed up to do it.

Thanks
Yes, it's fine.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
Most schools do not offer computer science at GCSE or a level so it cannot be expected but most require maths a level.Further maths is also highly recommended by some universities.
trythis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically all CS courses in the UK are taught on the assumption that you have no CS knowledge going in. I didn't do either and I haven't had any issues. Generally the only requirements unis will have is Maths A-Level (at lower level unis they don't even require this). You won't be at a disadvantage not having done CS A-Level or GCSE.
Ambiguous Super
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it’s subject to specific universities.
Computer science is heavily maths based and does have aspects of physics so a strong grade at these subjects may be expected.

CHECK THE UCAS WEBSITE, IT HONESTLY HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED ABOUT DEGREES AT UNI 😊. x
Ambiguous Super
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ambiguous Super)
I think it’s subject to specific universities.
Computer science is heavily maths based and does have aspects of physics so a strong grade at these subjects may be expected.

CHECK THE UCAS WEBSITE, IT HONESTLY HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED ABOUT DEGREES AT UNI 😊. x
BTW, if your really motivated to do CS, show this in your personal statement- this could help you become a desirable candidate. Good luck!
Jorgi1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was in year 9 I made the biggest mistake of my life: not choosing to do a computer science GCSE. On top of that my sixth form didn't offer a computer science A level as not enough students signed up to do it.

Thanks
Hi there.
I'm in a very similar position to you, just 4 years ahead.

Not taking computer science GCSE was not the biggest mistake, do not worry.

Maths is the most important. Get as high of a grade in this as you can.

Computer Science degrees almost always assume that everyone has no knowledge at the beginning. They will take you through it.

It will definitely be manageable. Your best bet right now (and over the summer) is to take introductory programming course (there are tons online) Do something like python. (If you want to code for yourself, download Anaconda 3, it will start you off. It's essentially an IDE (integrated development environment) and will make it way easier to code and run your programs.

You don't need to make anything big. Follow a tutorial and if you get far enough start your own project.
lnem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks
look on google for solutions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads