Study abroad places Watch

apricot64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am interested in studying a year abroad in the US as part of my degree. I know that the number of places in each uni varies each year but how do the exchange balances work?
Is the number of available places in a destination uni the same as the number of people who want to study your same course at your uni, so you can only go there if someone wants to take your place? Or is it that a space is available there if someone decided to study abroad, regardless of where they are going?
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not necessarily; study abroad agreements vary widely, and not all are in fact exchange agreements. It's quite common for US students to study abroad in the UK/EU, and much less common to go the other way; usually there will only be one or two places on any agreed exchange programmes for UK to US, compared to typically more the other way. One possible reason for this is the discrepancy in tuition fees for private US colleges, which is managed by balancing the number of incoming vs outgoing to minimise or eliminate any net loss to either university.

In any case even for exchange programmes, I'm not aware of any that are dependent on having a one to one exchange and if a student who is "taking your place" doesn't do so, you cease being eligible. How many students are able to go, from which departments and years etc, will normally have been arranged in the actual agreement created between the universities, well in advance of any particular student deciding to go there. Unless you are arranging an ad hoc study abroad experience (which is very unusual) it's unlikely you will be affected in the way you describe.
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah i believe at my department it certainly wasnt one for one. i went to a very good uni but it wouldnt be a very good choice to study abroad due to location mainly the city was alright but was far from any major one
apricot64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies. I emailed one of the universities (UK) and they said "The number of places at each university will differ year on year as the partnerships are all based on exchange balances. We can never guarantee students a specific destination or their first choice" so would that not mean it is one for one?
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say it's more of an exchange "pool". Fee paying students still paid fees (or not) as normal wherever they went. Pretty good deal if you go to North America . Most choose ERASMUS due to the extra funding which you don't get anywhere outside of europe (moot point now I guess with brexit).

Can only really talk about my own university (Strathclyde): typically 50% of mechanical engineering students went abroad.

Typical study abroad destinations (between 2003-2015):
Toronto
Concordia
NTU
Michigan Tech
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Georgia Tech
Louisiana
Kansas
Cal Poly
Iowa
North Texas
Texas
South Carolina
Queens
McMaster
RMIT
Swinburne
QUT
Clemson
Queensland
San Diego State/ISEP
Japan
Bologna
Luleá
DTU
Lyon
Munich
Prague
Valencia
Tokyo
Oviedo
Gijon
Nanyang
Troyes
Lodz
Singapore
Chalmers
Lyngby

Places seemed to be shared/split between different subjects i.e. there would be two places per year for Toronto and it could be two from any department be it mech/chemical eng etc. You could only select a certain preference- no guarantees.
(this was for a straight mechanical MEng course, although there were MEng with international study who I assume were guaranteed a place)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed