Advice on issues about bins and renting

Watch
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I rent my own flat, which shares wheelie bins with the other 5 flats in the house. Bins were not collected last week because they were overflowing, I left a polite notice in the common hallway to ask if someone could get rid of the excess so I could rebook a collection. I heard people outside my door talking badly about the note so I took it down out of embarrassment.

Basically, been away for a few days, come back and the bins are just stupidly overflowing and no way will get collected next week. I don't drive so can't take them to the tip and don't want to shell out by myself for someone to collect! (I would be happy to pay 1/6th of the cost if the others chipped in but don't want to leave another note and get hate)

Literally no idea what to do, so have turned to TSR :/
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
So I rent my own flat, which shares wheelie bins with the other 5 flats in the house. Bins were not collected last week because they were overflowing, I left a polite notice in the common hallway to ask if someone could get rid of the excess so I could rebook a collection. I heard people outside my door talking badly about the note so I took it down out of embarrassment.

Basically, been away for a few days, come back and the bins are just stupidly overflowing and no way will get collected next week. I don't drive so can't take them to the tip and don't want to shell out by myself for someone to collect! (I would be happy to pay 1/6th of the cost if the others chipped in but don't want to leave another note and get hate)

Literally no idea what to do, so have turned to TSR :/
I had a similar problem when I rented my own flat too. We had 2 wheelie bins for 3 flats, but they were still brimming every week come collection day. What I had to do in the end was go around to our neighbour in the house next door and ask if I could put some of our rubbish in his bin, as no one else in my building was willing to do anything about it (bearing in mind that I was the only student).

You could also pick your rubbish in any public bins little by little, or sneakily use others' wheelie bins if you don't want to ask...
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it an ongoing issue or one off?

If it's a one off I second asking to use a neighbour's bin, I've done this. It's a bit embarrassing but if you ask the night before they're collected and double bag everything so they can see it's clean no one will mind. It's annoying to do it yourself but at least then it's done.

If it's an ongoing problem maybe speak to your landlord? Maybe you need an extra bin as 5 flats is a lot to be sharing. Or you need to speak to everyone, perhaps face to face is better? It's no good the bins not being collected every week... people need to be more careful about what they're throwing out and how.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
Is it an ongoing issue or one off?

If it's a one off I second asking to use a neighbour's bin, I've done this. It's a bit embarrassing but if you ask the night before they're collected and double bag everything so they can see it's clean no one will mind. It's annoying to do it yourself but at least then it's done.

If it's an ongoing problem maybe speak to your landlord? Maybe you need an extra bin as 5 flats is a lot to be sharing. Or you need to speak to everyone, perhaps face to face is better? It's no good the bins not being collected every week... people need to be more careful about what they're throwing out and how.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I had a similar problem when I rented my own flat too. We had 2 wheelie bins for 3 flats, but they were still brimming every week come collection day. What I had to do in the end was go around to our neighbour in the house next door and ask if I could put some of our rubbish in his bin, as no one else in my building was willing to do anything about it (bearing in mind that I was the only student).

You could also pick your rubbish in any public bins little by little, or sneakily use others' wheelie bins if you don't want to ask...
Thanks both! It's a one off.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Thanks both! It's a one off.
Then tbh someone has clearly had a birthday/party/new furniture/clean out etc and is being an ******* putting it all in your bin in one go and taking no responsibility...

But the easiest thing is just to do it and get it over you...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.13%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (384)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.2%

Watched Threads