The Student Room Group

STEP or MAT?

I'm not entirely convinced about applying to Oxbridge, but if I am going to I would definitely apply to Oxford simply because Cambridge doesn't do the courses I want. I would most likely apply to Oxford Maths and Philosophy (possibly Maths and Statistics, or even Maths and Computer Science), but either way, I am convinced I don't want to go to Cambridge. However, it seems like all top unis for Maths (I'm thinking of applying for a joint honours Maths course with Econ, comp sci, actuarial science, etc) want STEP over MAT. If I were to apply for, eg, Oxford, Warwick, Bath, etc, then I would have to do MAT as well as STEP, which seems way too much. Without STEP would I be at a disadvantage?
Also, I've looked at STEP papers and they seem ridiculous. MAT papers look difficult too but I feel more manageable than STEP. I'm good at Maths, but I'm not sure if I'm STEP-level. Should I not be applying for Maths at all? Advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
The only university that needs STEP is Cambridge. Loads of others will give you a lower A Level offer if you do well in STEP. There's no harm in doing STEP 1 just in case you do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending