The Student Room Group

Year 3/4 interview - advice on lesson ideas please

Hello,I have an upcoming interview for Year 3/4 position and have to teach a 30 minute lesson that will move children on in their writing. The letter states that the children have just finished a topic on rain-forests so I presume the head is keen that this is incorporated into the lesson or he wouldn't have mentioned it. I have 3 ideas for this, but wanted some opinions on them - 1. An assistant head of a secondary school that I know has suggested this - Could split children into groups with specific themes sound, weather etc get them to write two sentences, peer assess, move around and mark, redraft, present on display. As he is an assistant head I am inclined to listen to his advice. However, I am worried this lesson is too sedentary and would prefer incorporating some kind of drama. I can see how the lesson would definitely tick off the 'moving on' box though.2. Get the children to think of different vocabulary for the word 'said'. they work in pairs and one child acts it out. e.g they might say the sentence "I went shopping" but in an angry tone and the other partner would write down how they said it - "I went shopping," grumbled Mark, angrily.3. Show don't tell - Have sentences written down - Anne was scared. Bob was angry etc and get children to act out these feelings using body language. Get partner to write down these feelings through actions - eg Anne shivered. Her teeth were chattering.With the 2nd and 3rd idea I'm not sure how I would incorporate the rain-forest topic?Thanks in advance
The two key points here: 1. The children need to be writing. 2. It needs to link to the rainforest.

I like the idea 1 but it is not particularly 'WOW', I agree adding some drama to this would seal the deal.

My advice:
Go for a poetry lesson. It's a nice way for all the children to have written something independently, in 30 mins! It could be a poem on what you can see, hear feel or smell in the rainforest. I would start by listening to the rainforest e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8myYyMg1fFE . Give the children post it notes and get them to write down any ideas they have whilst listening, do one yourself while they do it. Then stop the video and immediately brainstorm, talk etc.
You could create an 'I am' poem or an 'I can see/feel.. etc.' poem. To move writing on, I would then write a line - "I am the trees." Then say to the children, I am the what trees? or "I can see the trees." I can see the what trees? Get the children talking, what words could they add in? Then re-write the line taking an idea from the class, e.g. towering, enormous etc. So then write, "I am the towering trees". Ok, so what are the trees doing? E.g. swaying in the gentle breeze (take this from the class, develop their ideas by orally modelling how to construct them, if they say wind, what other words can we use for wind etc.). Once you have decided, then write your new line - "I am the towering trees, swaying in the gentle breeze." Then get the children to either magpie your line or construct their own.
You have now modelled orally and through shared writing how to embellish writing from a simple sentence: 'I am the trees' to 'I am the towering trees, swaying in the gentle breeze.'
Now write: 'I am the rain'. Now it is the children's job - I am the what rain? I am the what rain that is doing what? Then let the children embellish the sentence, give them time and select a group you can work with. Then ask who has their sentence? Get the children to read the sentence aloud and then model how the sentence can be improved - never just let the children read their work and not get feedback. The children can work in pairs for this too, if you like.
Then write: I am the river or whatever else you choose and the children can complete this.

Get them to do about 4 lines, a nice short poem and then as your plenary they can perform their poems in their pairs! They can get out of their seats and use actions to make it more active. Keep this fast paced and you'll do it in 30 mins, the children will have loads of ideas as they have just completed a topic on the rainforest!

Sorry for the long winded idea! Just a thought, don't go with it if you find something better. I did a lesson pretty much identical to this last term for an observation in year 3 and was graded 'Outstanding'.

If you have any questions, let me know! Good luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much. I really like this idea! I was beginning to feel a bit disheartened because I had posted the same question on another forum and a star commenter had replied saying she thought my first idea was the best one as it shows progress. When I pointed out it wasn't very engaging she said she could see my point but in 30 mins it wasn't a good idea to get unfamiliar kids moving. I could see from the lady's profile she was an experienced teacher so was thinking I should probably listen to her but in my heart it didn't feel right as it just isn't engaging. So thank you for a more engaging idea which still shows progress
Original post by sapphire611
Thank you so much. I really like this idea! I was beginning to feel a bit disheartened because I had posted the same question on another forum and a star commenter had replied saying she thought my first idea was the best one as it shows progress. When I pointed out it wasn't very engaging she said she could see my point but in 30 mins it wasn't a good idea to get unfamiliar kids moving. I could see from the lady's profile she was an experienced teacher so was thinking I should probably listen to her but in my heart it didn't feel right as it just isn't engaging. So thank you for a more engaging idea which still shows progress

Unfamiliar kids moving????? She sounds like a teacher that doesn't take risks. I'm glad you like it, get the kids up and moving to the sounds of the rainforest if you fancy it, just set very clear expectations, if it does go wrong you can discuss what you would change in your interview.

If you decide to go for it, please could you reply here and let us know how it goes as I am interested now!
Reply 4
Original post by bwilliams
Unfamiliar kids moving????? She sounds like a teacher that doesn't take risks. I'm glad you like it, get the kids up and moving to the sounds of the rainforest if you fancy it, just set very clear expectations, if it does go wrong you can discuss what you would change in your interview.

If you decide to go for it, please could you reply here and let us know how it goes as I am interested now!

Of course. I need to sit down and construct a proper plan tomorrow. The interview isn't for a week and a half, just being well prepared but I will let you know then.
Any ideas how this poetry could be linked to a chocolate theme!
This is a idea

Original post by KMoran81
Any ideas how this poetry could be linked to a chocolate theme!

You can get them to do a fun poem on chocolate. Any type of poem can be chosen. Or a newspaper article, a mini descriptive essay or a quick presentation will do. You can even create a short story, a colourful leaflet that is based on the topic of chocolate. The poem can be a part of a advert describing chocolate or a fact file etc.

Quick Reply

Latest