A level Subject Choices for Law Watch

TL1901
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Background context: I attend a Grammar school sixth form and I’m in Year 12. Before I started this academic year, like many, I had no idea what I wanted to do at University so I chose my subjects for A level so they cover a spectrum of degrees to choose from but also were ones that I could be good at AND would enjoy.

At GCSE, I attained 3 A*’s, 2 A’s and the rest B’s and a few high C’s. I have 11 GCSE’s in total.

I am currently taking at A-level.
Psychology
Government and Politics
French
EPQ - the topic of my project surrounds criminology, law and politics.

I am currently revising for my mocks so I don’t have my results for them yet but my predicted grades quite annoyingly are BBB. This doesn’t surprise as my GCSE predicted grades were much lower than what I attained ( yes I know a-levels are much harder).

In the future, I would like to apply to a Russell Group university to read Law or Law with French.
The universities on my list at the moment are London School of Economics, Manchester, Kings College London and Nottingham.

My questions are:
Are my subjects too weak for Law application as a I don’t take History or English literature?

In my city in the UK, there aren’t many law firms and chambers near. Do I need to still find one for work experience? And if so, what would my duties for that time entail- because it’s fair to say I wouldn’t be doing any legal work.

All help would be greatly appreciated!
Many Thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Elenacoutay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya! Congrats on your grades, hope you get what you're predicted!
So I just want to clarify, I didn't do great at A Levels. I picked Law as a subject and, due to a combination of me not understanding how on earth to write with a legal mindset and the fact that I definitely didn't put the effort in, I paid the price. Didn't get to pick a qualifying law degree at Uni.

To be honest - unless the approach has changed from when I studied - from my experience most people who want to study law at uni don't even study law at A Levels. GREAT that you're doing the EPQ, and government and politics. That said, you'll be scrutinised much more so for your grades than your subjects when it comes to universities that provide law degrees. I mean I know looooads of people that said that they were going to study Latin because a lot of law involves Latin...well yes, but saying that Latin is a big part of the learning process at University is a far cry from the truth.

Regarding work experience, I cannot stress - now more than ever - it is for you to do relevant work experience. I don't know if you're aware but the process of qualifying as a lawyer will be undergoing some MAJOR changes soon, and is going to be heavily based on your work experience so if you haven't made yourself aware I'd read up http://www.lse.ac.uk/law/sqe !

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about your subjects. They're relevant enough from what I can see...Just get the grades! I'd also try to focus on getting work experience if I were you.

Best of luck!
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TL1901)
Background context: I attend a Grammar school sixth form and I’m in Year 12. Before I started this academic year, like many, I had no idea what I wanted to do at University so I chose my subjects for A level so they cover a spectrum of degrees to choose from but also were ones that I could be good at AND would enjoy.

At GCSE, I attained 3 A*’s, 2 A’s and the rest B’s and a few high C’s. I have 11 GCSE’s in total.

Psychology
Government and Politics
French

I am currently revising for my mocks so I don’t have my results for them yet but my predicted grades quite annoyingly are BBB. This doesn’t surprise as my GCSE predicted grades were much lower than what I attained ( yes I know a-levels are much harder).

In the future, I would like to apply to a Russell Group university to read Law or Law with French.
The universities on my list at the moment are London School of Economics, Manchester, Kings College London and Nottingham.

My questions are:
Are my subjects too weak for Law application as a I don’t take History or English literature?

In my city in the UK, there aren’t many law firms and chambers near. Do I need to still find one for work experience? And if so, what would my duties for that time entail- because it’s fair to say I wouldn’t be doing any legal work.

All help would be greatly appreciated!
Many Thanks.
Your subjects are fine for a Law degree but the problem would be your predicted grades as you would need higher predictions than that to be offered a place at the sort of Unis you have listed. If you look on their websites at entry requirements, you will see what I mean.

You don't need to worry about getting legal work experience before you apply as it's not something that law applicants normally have. You could research Law taster days for Year 12 students at local Unis, as they are a useful insight into the degree programme. The other thing is just to get involved in any extracurricular activities that interest you to demonstrate you have interests beyond the academic.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're in year 12, obviously those predicted grades don't mean sh**. You need at least A*AA predicted for LSE and KCL tho. your subjects are good.
hello5922
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your A level subjects are great. Government and Politics will be useful when studying your law degree. You don't need History or English Literature to make a law application.
If you can get some legal work experience that would be great. Maybe even shadowing at your local law firm, even if it is just for one day - it isn't a must but it will give you an idea if law is for you. Otherwise you could attend your local Crown or Magistrate's Court and sit and watch a trial in the public gallery, this is also great exposure and anyone can do it.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elenacoutay)
Hiya! Congrats on your grades, hope you get what you're predicted!
So I just want to clarify, I didn't do great at A Levels. I picked Law as a subject and, due to a combination of me not understanding how on earth to write with a legal mindset and the fact that I definitely didn't put the effort in, I paid the price. Didn't get to pick a qualifying law degree at Uni.

To be honest - unless the approach has changed from when I studied - from my experience most people who want to study law at uni don't even study law at A Levels. GREAT that you're doing the EPQ, and government and politics. That said, you'll be scrutinised much more so for your grades than your subjects when it comes to universities that provide law degrees. I mean I know looooads of people that said that they were going to study Latin because a lot of law involves Latin...well yes, but saying that Latin is a big part of the learning process at University is a far cry from the truth.

Regarding work experience, I cannot stress - now more than ever - it is for you to do relevant work experience. I don't know if you're aware but the process of qualifying as a lawyer will be undergoing some MAJOR changes soon, and is going to be heavily based on your work experience so if you haven't made yourself aware I'd read up http://www.lse.ac.uk/law/sqe !

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about your subjects. They're relevant enough from what I can see...Just get the grades! I'd also try to focus on getting work experience if I were you.

Best of luck!
The universities won't care about OP's work experience. Their work experience is guaranteed not to count for qualification purposes (not that a week of w/e either way would make a huge difference). I agree with the 'build your CV from early on' sentiment, but the purpose for which OP is building it should be clear: it's to make themselves a better applicant for grad jobs.

OP's GCSEs aren't great and may be the reason for a swift rejection from LSE and KCL. Haven't seen any recent data on their other choices so can't comment.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 4 weeks ago
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
The universities won't care about OP's work experience. Their work experience is guaranteed not to count for qualification purposes (not that a week of w/e either way would make a huge difference). I agree with the 'build your CV from early on' sentiment, but the purpose for which OP is building it should be clear: it's to make themselves a better applicant for grad jobs.

OP's GCSEs aren't great and may be the reason for a swift rejection from LSE and KCL. Haven't seen any recent data on their other choices so can't comment.

Edit: Yeah, OP should forget about the universities they've mentioned if they're going for BBB at A-level. They'd be lucky if they got into somewhere like Liverpool with that profile.
Tbf those aren’t OP’s actual predicted grades. They’re in year 12, so their predicted grades are based on their GCSEs. Their actual ones will be based on end of year 12 exams.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
Tbf those aren’t OP’s actual predicted grades. They’re in year 12, so their predicted grades are based on their GCSEs. Their actual ones will be based on end of year 12 exams.
Ah, okay. But there's no point in them asking us for a full prediction if they don't have the only piece of information that could improve their chances... Right now, they're not looking too great.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TL1901)
Psychology
Government and Politics
French

Those aren't your actual predictions, they are probably your target grades. A very different thing, and usually lower than your UCAS predictions. Wait to see what your predictions are. Your summer mocks/PPE/AS-levels (as appropriate) will be a large factor in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 4 weeks ago
Elenacoutay
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original comment. You're right in that universities really don't see work experience as a big thing when applying for them. What I mean to say is that the whole system of qualifying as a lawyer/barrister is changing, so regardless of qualifying to uni it might be worth getting some in. Although that being said, only if he does a gap year, as the new system is being put into place in 2021. This system looks wayyyyyy better than what we have just now imo.
https://www.lawcareers.net/Informati...we-know-so-far
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elenacoutay)
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original comment. You're right in that universities really don't see work experience as a big thing when applying for them. What I mean to say is that the whole system of qualifying as a lawyer/barrister is changing, so regardless of qualifying to uni it might be worth getting some in. Although that being said, only if he does a gap year, as the new system is being put into place in 2021. This system looks wayyyyyy better than what we have just now imo.
https://www.lawcareers.net/Informati...we-know-so-far
The chances of OP's work experience at this level counting towards the two years' training requirement are pretty much nil. If that is not what you're saying, make your point clearer.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Elenacoutay
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
The chances of OP's work experience at this level counting towards the two years' training requirement are pretty much nil. If that is not what you're saying, make your point clearer.
True. Better off doing it after.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads