VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I spent a long time pouring my heart out into my EPQ, which was around a subject that was super important to me. I really enjoyed doing it, so it ended up around 36 pages with a lot of footnotes. I know, I know, overkill. I was hoping for an A* on it, but expecting to get an A with improvements. Maybe it was just because the rest of my class dgaf about it that I overestimated my own essay writing ability, but when it first came back I got a B. I dutifully made the changes, but my teacher still insists it doesn't have enough opinion in it.

I have, however, threaded judgement throughout and in my final conclusion made it explicitly clear. Do I need to put "I think...." like she suggests? It just doesn't sit right with me with it being a formal essay and I'm concerned it may be brought down when externally moderated. This is the first year she's taught the EPQ, and she's an NQT. She's lovely, but I'm concerned she's got it confused, as I thought it was supposed to be a formal project in style?
Ell.Lake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I got full marks in my EPQ so maybe I can help.
First of all, how in depth was your planning and progress? I’m pretty sure that’s where a majority of the marks are from that, so you need to demonstrate and document everything that you do and why you did it.
In regards to your essay, that’s only a small percentage of the overall grade, but there should be judgement throughout, I came to a conclusion of my personal opinion without using ‘I think’ so if you think it’s a strong judgement, I wouldn’t add in another ‘I think’.
Let me know if you have any more questions, epq is a gruelling subject so I can relate to you!
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ell.Lake)
Hey, I got full marks in my EPQ so maybe I can help.
First of all, how in depth was your planning and progress? I’m pretty sure that’s where a majority of the marks are from that, so you need to demonstrate and document everything that you do and why you did it.
In regards to your essay, that’s only a small percentage of the overall grade, but there should be judgement throughout, I came to a conclusion of my personal opinion without using ‘I think’ so if you think it’s a strong judgement, I wouldn’t add in another ‘I think’.
Let me know if you have any more questions, epq is a gruelling subject so I can relate to you!
So, in regards to the planning, I've done the whole project planning, and project proposal form. She told me I needed to have at least 5 issues to overcome in Project Log, and I've done 4. Do you think I should just make up a 5th to solidify my chances? It doesn't sit comfortably with me, but I'd like to get as high as I can simply because it's a subject that means a lot to me, and I want to do it justice.
I was also disappointed with my presentation too as she marked me down quite a bit for having "too many words on the slide" despite not looking at them once. Do you think I can re-do the presentation?
It's interesting (and worrying) you say the essay has relatively small marks, because she has told us all it is worth the most marks!
Ell.Lake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
So, in regards to the planning, I've done the whole project planning, and project proposal form. She told me I needed to have at least 5 issues to overcome in Project Log, and I've done 4. Do you think I should just make up a 5th to solidify my chances? It doesn't sit comfortably with me, but I'd like to get as high as I can simply because it's a subject that means a lot to me, and I want to do it justice.
I was also disappointed with my presentation too as she marked me down quite a bit for having "too many words on the slide" despite not looking at them once. Do you think I can re-do the presentation?
It's interesting (and worrying) you say the essay has relatively small marks, because she has told us all it is worth the most marks!
What exam board are you doing? I did AQA, so it may differ with how important/not important the essay is.
If I have one piece of advice it would be record everything that you do in your EPQ! So I would probably add another issue just in case to make sure it’s strong! What about something like a table of dates? Where you list everything you did from September-now and why you did it, that was really useful with my project and boosted my marks higher.

That’s so unfair about your presentation!! I’m not sure whether you could do it again, but could you talk to your teacher about how you could make that mark even higher than it currently is?
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The frustrating thing about the EPQ, in my opinion, is that it's the planning and management of the project which is worth the most marks as opposed to the essay/product itself. Even if you've written a stellar essay, your marks won't be as good as they can if you haven't sufficiently evidenced how you've managed the project, and explained why you've made the choices you have. I would avoid using 'I think' at any point, instead try to emphasise your conclusion by saying something like 'the most plausible conclusion to the proposed question is therefore...'. I hope that helps
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ell.Lake)
What exam board are you doing? I did AQA, so it may differ with how important/not important the essay is.
If I have one piece of advice it would be record everything that you do in your EPQ! So I would probably add another issue just in case to make sure it’s strong! What about something like a table of dates? Where you list everything you did from September-now and why you did it, that was really useful with my project and boosted my marks higher.

That’s so unfair about your presentation!! I’m not sure whether you could do it again, but could you talk to your teacher about how you could make that mark even higher than it currently is?
We're doing Edexcel, so it might differ slightly. Edexcel provide you with a table of dates to complete; there's not much freedom to push for extra marks, really, as it's all filling in boxes in regards to the planning. You're probably right about the adding of the extra issue. I hate lying on these things, but I'll just lie in bed and imagine that I lost all my sources or something haha.
I definitely should probably talk to her like you say, but I get the feeling she gets a bit pissed off whenever I ask her questions. She's a difficult person to please! Thank you for your help, I'll definitely go over my planning in more detail now, re-shift my focus a little!
LaMemeDeDank
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did an epq and got one off full marks. Essay was about 5 6 pages . My planning was a 300 page booklet. Your outcome doesn't count for anything as long as it's viable. It's the process that's marked. Weird your teacher is banging on about the essay..
Last edited by LaMemeDeDank; 1 year ago
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
The frustrating thing about the EPQ, in my opinion, is that it's the planning and management of the project which is worth the most marks as opposed to the essay/product itself. Even if you've written a stellar essay, your marks won't be as good as they can if you haven't sufficiently evidenced how you've managed the project, and explained why you've made the choices you have. I would avoid using 'I think' at any point, instead try to emphasise your conclusion by saying something like 'the most plausible conclusion to the proposed question is therefore...'. I hope that helps
Ooh! I like "plausible conclusion". I'll try that and see if it passes her judgement. And it's so frustrating that it's all based around the build up/planning stage; I approached it like it's a piece of History Coursework, and maybe that wasn't the best way to go about it. Thank you for you advice.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ooh! I like "plausible conclusion". I'll try that and see if it passes her judgement. And it's so frustrating that it's all based around the build up/planning stage; I approached it like it's a piece of History Coursework, and maybe that wasn't the best way to go about it. Thank you for you advice.
No problem, I hope you will get the mark you deserve for it
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No problem!
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by LaMemeDeDank)
Did an epq and got one off full marks. Essay was about 5 6 pages . My planning was a 300 page booklet. Your outcome doesn't count for anything as long as it's viable. It's the process that's marked. Weird your teacher is banging on about the essay..
Yeah, I've definitely weighted it wrong then. Thank goodness I know now, during half term, at least I can improve the planning before the second-to-last deadline!
I'm vaguely annoyed at the emphasis she put on the essay and bibliography (which is about 19 pages long for me) rather than the planning. I would have written it completely differently. To be fair, she has a difficult class, with most of them not showing up, but I wish she'd made the weighting more explicit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (188)
59.87%
No (69)
21.97%
Not sure (57)
18.15%

Watched Threads