Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
B1464 – Homeland Security Bill 2019, ap.ferro, SoggyCabbages MP
Homeland Security Act 2019

An Act implementing measures to protect the UK and it's territories from having UK citizens return who have believed to have fought for a proscribed organisation overseas.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who attempts to return to the UK having believed to have either fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or having actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have their citizenship revoked with immediate effect.
Any citizen of the UK that attempts to return whether by their own means or via the help of others will be denied entry and will be forced to seek asylum in the nearest country that is deemed safe.

(1) It is a criminal offense to attempt to return to the UK having fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or actively participated in a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas

(2) For the purposes of this Act:—

(2) a. "Proscribed organisation” refers to any organisation that has been proscribed the UK government as being a terrorist organisation. This includes but is not limited to
ISIS/ISIL
Hezbollah
Al Qaeda
Al Shabaab
Boko Haram

b) “Fought” refers to the act of actively engaging in combat, whether that be against military forces or civilian targets.

c) “Actively participated” refers to the act of living alongside other members of a proscribed organisation and engaging in activities of that organisation; this can include non combat roles such as marriage or providing other services.

c) “Nearest country deemed safe” refers to any country that is deemed to be safe by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) for British tourists. The country that the person will be deported to will either be a neighbouring country, or the nearest country that is deemed safe. In some cases, a neighbouring country may be safe but the government of that country may not accept to take in the subject. If no countries deemed safe will accept the subject, the person will remain in indefinite detention in a UK immigration detention facility and will be treated as an illegal immigrant.

d) “By their own means” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK by themselves, ie, buying themselves a plane ticket to a UK airport.

e) “Via the help of others” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK with the assistance of others, ie, acquaintances and or relatives or via the help of an external organisation such as a NGO (Non Governmental Organisation). Anybody who is found to have assisted in helping a subject return may face prosecution under immigration and human trafficking laws.

Section Two

Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who has fought or actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have any consular requests denied.
Any citizen who attempts to seek consular assistance whether that be in the country they have fought or actively participated in for a proscribed organisation or another country will have their request to go back to the UK denied and will be forced to surrender their UK passport.

2: Enforcement and Punishment
The enforcement of this act will be the responsibility of the Home Office and the UK Border Force as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Punishment will be maintained in the form of being deported to the nearest safe country.

(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will be held in indefinite detention in a UK Immigration Detention Centre.

3: Exemption
(1) The Secretary of State will be granted the power to make further exemptions to this Act as he or she finds necessary by Order.

(2) Children under the age of criminal responsibility may be accepted back into the UK but will be taken into care by the relevant authorities. Any responsible adults will be subject to the terms of this bill.

4: Extent
This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and any embassy or consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

5: Commencement
The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

6: Short Title
This act may be called the Homeland Security Act 2019
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
FORMATTING!

For 3(2) (as appearing in the bill because it shouldn't be 3(2)) under the age of criminal responsibility when, at any point during their treason or just when seeking to return/
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Change Section 2(3) and (c) from

-(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will be held in indefinite detention in a UK Immigration Detention Centre.

To

(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Then I will vote for this bill.
Last edited by JMR2019.; 4 weeks ago
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who decides whether or not someone falls under this bill?

Also the use of the phrase 'responsible adults' would potentially cause legal difficulties.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Credit for timing.:yy:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
FORMATTING!

For 3(2) (as appearing in the bill because it shouldn't be 3(2)) under the age of criminal responsibility when, at any point during their treason or just when seeking to return/
Hear, hear!

There seems to be three section 2s ffs.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your counting skills are awful

1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2

And then there's one part where it went from nothing to 3?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I shall consider this once the formatting is changed for second reading.
LemonBotex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The premise of the bill is that people who have fought for ISIS should not be allowed to return.

Current terror legislation means that fighting for ISIS is a criminal offence, whether at home or abroad. I am not opposed to strengthening these laws to ensure they are locked up in the UK until such a time where they no longer pose a threat to people.

To allow them to roam free in the middle east and plot terror attacks against the West is a risk which nobody should want to take. Take the fighters currently locked up by US-backed forces in Syria and Iraq. They will be released unless we take in the Brits among them because of the US pull out of Syria and the lack of resources of the Kurds. It is in our interest to take them back and lock them up. Strengthen those laws, don't make people stateless and put national security at risk.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a very sensible piece of legislation. People who have fought for or just ‘joined’ ISIL should not be trusted in civilised Western societies.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As others have said, the formating needs to change if this is to pass. Some notes are always appreciated by the house as well and I hope to see these implemented at the next reading, with a particular emphasis on why you think the current system is inadequate. Without this, I am likely to vote against as I've not yet seen anything to suggest that the current system needs changing.

We have commitments under international law to prevent statelessness. While we do have the power to make people stateless under the Immigration Act 2014, this is something that we should be aiming to provide where possible, and this forms my first criticism of this bill's content. This is not hard to change, as it can simply state that their right to enter the UK is revoked without revoking citizenship if that is the aim, but it leads on to the next two objections.
1) Putting people into a UK Immigration Detention Centre indefinitely is a bad solution to this problem; and
2) 3.2) seems to suggest to me that if a mother returned with a child that child would be placed in care while the mother is deported.
I hope that I have either misunderstood that or at least that this can be changed for a future reading so that parents aren't forcibly separated from their parents.

While I'm willing to be persuaded on this issue, I don't yet see any need to change the status quo. The government can currently select areas that if UK citizens go to they can be refused entry to return after, and we already have the power to make citizens who are suspected of terrorism offences stateless. Our current system allows for these cares to be looked at on a case by case basis however, which I consider an advantage. While neither of these examples are intended to reflect any real-life example, there is a big difference between a teenager being groomed by isis and being convinced to make the trip to Syria before realising the mistake and someone who gleefully contacted ISIS directly in order to fight against the west. Similarly, there is a huge difference between someone who deeply regrets their decision and can show that they only engaged in acts to maintain their safety and someone who took a larger role within a terrorist organisation. Courts may, of course, decide that either has broken UK law, or that either are a continued threat to the UK, but preventing it even getting to that stage ensures that we leave people with no turning point back. Once you've made the journey to meet one of these organisations it's too late for you, even if you quickly turn around. To me, that heightens the danger to the UK rather than lowering it.

Anyone who is a threat to the UK should not be allowed to enter the UK, and it is sometimes justified for the UK government to take children off parents for their own good as well as making citizens stateless. I think the existing legislation provides a better avenue for doing this fairly than the legislation proposed here would.
Lord Vitiate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some of this Bill is already provided under the Terrorism Act 2000.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
Change Section 2(3) and (c) from

-(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will be held in indefinite detention in a UK Immigration Detention Centre.

To

(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Then I will vote for this bill.
Also, this.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This bill has gone to a second reading.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads