The Student Room Group

Durham or Oxford for history?

I'm currently in year 12 and am not sure which university to firm next year or even if i should consider applying to Oxford at all.
This summer I am participating in Supported Progression at Durham and will be getting a lower offer, from A*AA to AAB ,and love the university, however I also love the idea of studying at Oxford but am not sure if it's worth the stress and hassle of applying(especially considering that it's lower than Durham for history and requires higher minimum grade requirements).

Scroll to see replies

Why don’t you apply to them both and see what happens? You have until October 2019 to decide, so you could choose both, if you get an offer from Durham, great you could have lower entry requirements.
I was like this back in year 12, but with LSE, I wasn’t sure whether to apply or go for a lower grade requirement university, but I decided to go for it and see what happens, I’m now hopefully starting studying there in September!
You don’t have to know your firm/insurance just yet, so maybe think about both of them
Reply 2
The main reason that I am considering it now is because the Oxbridge application, at least at my school and area, is a significant commitment as I have to begin preparation next week with my head of year.
Original post by owen.winn
The main reason that I am considering it now is because the Oxbridge application, at least at my school and area, is a significant commitment as I have to begin preparation next week with my head of year.

It will probably do you good even if you end up not applying.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
It will probably do you good even if you end up not applying.

How do you think that it would be beneficial even if that time is wasted and I don't actually decide to apply?
How do you think that it would be beneficial even if that time is wasted and I don't actually decide to apply?

Presumably you do extra work? Interview prep?
Reply 6
Presumably you do extra work? Interview prep?

yeah I'll be doing interview prep and start my ps earlier than most, plus any outreach work that I can get my hands on.
yeah I'll be doing interview prep and start my ps earlier than most, plus any outreach work that I can get my hands on.

Outreach work?
Reply 8
Outreach work?

working with people from oxford who attempt to help disadvantaged students apply to the university and give them a better opportunity of getting an interview
working with people from oxford who attempt to help disadvantaged students apply to the university and give them a better opportunity of getting an interview

Even better for you.
Reply 10
Even better for you.

hopefully

If thats the case then I would go ahead with that preparation, Durham is super competitive too, so everything that you’ll have done for your oxbridge application will also be a strong advantage for Durham
Reply 12
Original post by Ell.Lake
If thats the case then I would go ahead with that preparation, Durham is super competitive too, so everything that you’ll have done for your oxbridge application will also be a strong advantage for Durham

They thing about the Durham offer is it's practically a free place as I'm likely going to exceed AAB and I know that most of the SP students who apply are accepted.
They thing about the Durham offer is it's practically a free place as I'm likely going to exceed AAB and I know that most of the SP students who apply are accepted.

If you apply with that attitude then you are setting yourself up for failure.
Go for both if you like them. Saying oxford is lower than Durham for History seems questionable ... it really depends upon which league table you look at (and if this actually matters to you). That being said, if you are going to exceed AAB and like Oxford AND the course (arguably the most important part) then apply! You have nothing to lose. I was in the exact same situation last year.
Reply 15
The guide for application recommends starting in June, I'll have to wait and see what my teachers recommend when I get back in after the half term. thanks for the advice!
Reply 16
Original post by greenBird17
Go for both if you like them. Saying oxford is lower than Durham for History seems questionable ... it really depends upon which league table you look at (and if this actually matters to you). That being said, if you are going to exceed AAB and like Oxford AND the course (arguably the most important part) then apply! You have nothing to lose. I was in the exact same situation last year.

I've mainly been looking at the complete university guide and the guardian for league tables and Durham is second for history and oxford is third, I'm not sure how accurate they are but a lot of what the Durham ambassadors have been saying, at least in relation to history, is that it is better than Oxford and on par with Cambridge; obviously they would say that to draw in more application for the course. I would imagine the standard at Oxford to be a little higher in terms of teaching ability.
Reply 17
apply for both! but only apply to them for the course, because history is a very diverse subject with loads of modules. the preparation you’ll do for oxford will be beneficial even if you end up going to Durham. It is very time consuming (I applied for cambridge for history, rejected but oh well) but I got into UCL so I’m excited to start my course. For example I preferred history at Cambridge than oxford so definitely make you decision on that. It’s just 1/5 choices on your ucas application so don’t worry :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by cgugar
apply for both! but only apply to them for the course, because history is a very diverse subject with loads of modules. the preparation you’ll do for oxford will be beneficial even if you end up going to Durham. It is very time consuming (I applied for cambridge for history, rejected but oh well) but I got into UCL so I’m excited to start my course. For example I preferred history at Cambridge than oxford so definitely make you decision on that. It’s just 1/5 choices on your ucas application so don’t worry :smile:

I have looked at Cambridge for an option but I don't believe I would be competitive enough or get the grades to go there, I could Definitely get one A* In history but I doubt I will achieve it.... I do like the look of Cambridge and the course.
Reply 19
I have looked at Cambridge for an option but I don't believe I would be competitive enough or get the grades to go there, I could Definitely get one A* In history but I doubt I will achieve it.... I do like the look of Cambridge and the course.

If you prefer Cambridge I say go for it, if you’re preparing now you do have a chance!! you don’t want to think in the future “what if I applied to Cambridge” even if you don’t get in it’s not the end of the world and Durham is amazing !!! trust me I say go for Cambridge despite it being competitive. History is a very competitive course regardless where you go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending