Being in a band in University Watch

Ethand8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,I was wondering if anybody has experience with being in a band in university? I'm moving to BCU next year with two other memebers of my band but we aren't exactly sure if it would even be possible to start a band in university. We are all planning to sell our cars because we can't afford to run them and I have absoloutly no idea how you would go about transporting your gear.I also don't know what to do about our PA system. At the moment we are carting around a desk, 2 speakers and two powered monitors because the majority of pubs/clubs here don't have an in house PA. Would we need to bring it with us or do most venues have a PA ready to go?Thanks to anybody who can give us a hand
Herts PG Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ethand8)
Hi there,I was wondering if anybody has experience with being in a band in university? I'm moving to BCU next year with two other memebers of my band but we aren't exactly sure if it would even be possible to start a band in university. We are all planning to sell our cars because we can't afford to run them and I have absoloutly no idea how you would go about transporting your gear.I also don't know what to do about our PA system. At the moment we are carting around a desk, 2 speakers and two powered monitors because the majority of pubs/clubs here don't have an in house PA. Would we need to bring it with us or do most venues have a PA ready to go?Thanks to anybody who can give us a hand
I wasn't in a band myself but I have been a roadie a few times for my mates who were, so here's my two cents!

The good thing about being in a band at uni is that there's usually a few pubs around that will put on gigs, especially in student bars,especially in a big city like Birmingham. I'd keep tabs on what the music school (assuming there is one at BCU, I'm not entirely familiar with it!) are putting on, as often it'll be students from there or in societies that put on gigs. Depending on your course finding time to commit to it might be a sticking point but it's nothing a bit of decent planning won't be able to solve.

The quality of PAs at gigs is highly variable, as you may well be aware. Around Herts and London most places I've been have had PAs there (and at the very least a basic desk), but they do tend to put on a lot of gigs so it's worth them having it. Some bands do bring in their own stuff regardless but I think it's mostly just their instruments, effects boards and DIs. If you can I would recommend at least one of you keep a car as it makes gigging so much easier; alternatively make friends with someone who has one!

Hope that helps

Theo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Birmingham City University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Ethand8!

Congratulations on joining BCU!
We have plenty of societies to get involved with and you might be interested in joining BCU Music Society. Here students come together to make music and they also have regular events too!

We suggest contacting the venue prior planning your event to see if they have an in house PA that you're happy with.

If you have any other questions about studying at BCU or Life in Birmingham please let us know and we will try to help you!

Anda (BCU Team)
jamesfinch173
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
HiI am a student at BCU studying Sound Engineering and in my second year. Although I'm not in a band I'm the VP of the Live Sound Society. There is plenty of opportunity to join or start bands, not only with course mates but with the talented musicians over at Conservatoire. As long as you are studying Sound Engineering or Music Tech you have the ability to book out the studios and practice or record. Most of the live sound equipment at BCU can be taken offsite by students and staff for personal or Live Sound Society gigs/events. I would recommend at least one of you keeping your car to transport equipment, unfortunately BCU does not have a vehicle for student use! There is no need to bring your own equipment. BCU stocks a variety of PA systems including line arrays, analogue and digital desks plus a wide variety of microphones which are available for offsite use. Most venues have some sort of sound system although not all to a professional standard. You could also ask course mates to engineer the band for you. The Live Sound society will also provide you with the opportunity to gain experience in live sound engineering with events throughout the year and festivals during the summer.Hope this has helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads