More Brexit sadness Watch

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
this time it is Honda closing their Swindon factory.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-swindon-plant

still it will be worth it for those cute blue passports & the £350 million pounds a week for the NHS. i guess many of the the 3500 workforce at the factory will be having health issues soon.

:emo:
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good riddance to traitors, why not go with them?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Libtardian)
charming.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can try to put my objective unbiased head on and try and think of one single positive to Brexit... and I cannot think of anything.
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Either you are unaware that Honda is a Japanese company or you just don't understand what traitor means.

Regardless, all your posts are doing is perpetuating the stereotype that some Brexit supporters are not very well educated.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It would be interesting to see how many people who backed the climate strike on Friday are now shedding crocodile tears over a car factory and an airline closing down. :lol:
JammingJay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Let's not be naive here, the reality of Honda closing it's factory in Swindon is from declining sales in diesel cars since the whole fuel scandal. They have to re coupe their losses somewhere, this is just sensationalist headlines.
Libtardian
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Violet Femme)
Either you are unaware that Honda is a Japanese company or you just don't understand what traitor means.

Regardless, all your posts are doing is perpetuating the stereotype that some Brexit supporters are not very well educated.
I never said they weren't Japanese.
Libtardian
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
It would be interesting to see how many people who backed the climate strike on Friday are now shedding crocodile tears over a car factory and an airline closing down. :lol:
The hypocracy of the left knows no bounds...
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is literally entirely workers' opinions. What better to blame it on other than Brexit, the thing that everything that under the sun is blamed on now? We don't know anything until Honda releases a statement.

If anything, the reason it's closing could be due to the new EU-Japan trade deal, in which cars will be built in Japan and imported into the EU, abolishing the import tariff. It's the same reason as to why Honda are simultaneously shutting down their Turkey plant. The UK are still a part of the EU, and so we've had just as much of a say in the deal.

Don't forget that Honda's European headquarters and their F1 division are all in the UK at present. Not moving to another EU country, or to Japan... But they're remaining in poor Brexit Britain.
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 4 weeks ago
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, I for one would welcome further pertinent and constructive contributions from that criminally under-represented demographic of 'people who read only one news source'.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No one on this entire forum has any proof Honda were not going to shut that factory anyway. Big international companies restructure their operations all the time and will do so in response to many factors.

Honda assemble all their diesel engines in the UK. Guess which kind of engine technology has utterly no chance in hell of passing the new EU Euro 6 emission requirements?

If I was running Honda I would shut the plant, too. Business is business. Car makers are all moving toward electric drivetrains and diesel engines in passenger cars are about to be legislated out of existence. You don't need to be Einstein to realise how one should respond to that fact.

Brexit has basically got nothing to do with this decision.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like Jim Ratcliffe?
Libtardian
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Like Jim Ratcliffe?
Seems to be more related to theft avoidance than brexit.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by modifiedgenes)
No one on this entire forum has any proof Honda were not going to shut that factory anyway. Big international companies restructure their operations all the time and will do so in response to many factors.

Honda assemble all their diesel engines in the UK. Guess which kind of engine technology has utterly no chance in hell of passing the new EU Euro 6 emission requirements?

If I was running Honda I would shut the plant, too. Business is business. Car makers are all moving toward electric drivetrains and diesel engines in passenger cars are about to be legislated out of existence. You don't need to be Einstein to realise how one should respond to that fact.

Brexit has basically got nothing to do with this decision.
They also make petrol engined cars there too. And if they wanted too they could re-tool to make electric/hybrid if necessary.
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They also make petrol engined cars there too. And if they wanted too they could re-tool to make electric/hybrid if necessary.
Go and take a petrol engine apart, and then an electric motor, and tell me which of those you think is the most difficult to manufacture and assemble.

You do not need entire teams of R and D technies to manufacture electric motors. You do not need rafts of robots or people to cast, machine or fabricate the components for an electric motor. They are an established technology with very few moving parts. The complexity of a modern petrol or diesel engine is mind boggling by comparison.

All the car makers are staring a big unknown right in the face, and the car industry at large is going to experience armageddon in the next 10-15 years. Some companies might disappear entirely.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by modifiedgenes)
Go and take a petrol engine apart, and then an electric motor, and tell me which of those you think is the most difficult to manufacture and assemble.

You do not need entire teams of R and D technies to manufacture electric motors. You do not need rafts of robots or people to cast, machine or fabricate the components for an electric motor. They are an established technology with very few moving parts. The complexity of a modern petrol or diesel engine is mind boggling by comparison.

All the car makers are staring a big unknown right in the face, and the car industry at large is going to experience armageddon in the next 10-15 years. Some companies might disappear entirely.
What's your point? You can have a factory making petrol, diesel and electric vehicles side-by-side. The Magna Steyr factory in Austria does it (for Jaguar and others).
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
This is literally entirely workers' opinions. What better to blame it on other than Brexit, the thing that everything that under the sun is blamed on now? We don't know anything until Honda releases a statement.

If anything, the reason it's closing could be due to the new EU-Japan trade deal, in which cars will be built in Japan and imported into the EU, abolishing the import tariff. It's the same reason as to why Honda are simultaneously shutting down their Turkey plant. The UK are still a part of the EU, and so we've had just as much of a say in the deal.

Don't forget that Honda's European headquarters and their F1 division are all in the UK at present. Not moving to another EU country, or to Japan... But they're remaining in poor Brexit Britain.
This is probably why they may close the factory, but let’s see what they have to say.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Less cars on the road is good for all, no point trying to bail out an industry most responsible for today's pollution problems
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's your point? You can have a factory making petrol, diesel and electric vehicles side-by-side. The Magna Steyr factory in Austria does it (for Jaguar and others).
You do not need legions of staff to manufacture electric motors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed