The Student Room Group

What has changed from the old maths specification?

Hi guys,

I finished A-Level maths and further maths last year doing the old spec for MEI OCR. This year I'd really like to do some tutoring to earn some money before I head off for uni, so was just wondering what has actually changed from the spec that I did to the new one that people are doing now?

I've looked online but can't seem to find any concrete answers, so hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm specifically wondering if much or any of the content has changed - are there any new topics, have any of the topics been changed, or has the content just been moved around a bit?

Thank you in advance! Will continue looking myself as well :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Eldronyx
Hi guys,

I finished A-Level maths and further maths last year doing the old spec for MEI OCR. This year I'd really like to do some tutoring to earn some money before I head off for uni, so was just wondering what has actually changed from the spec that I did to the new one that people are doing now?

I've looked online but can't seem to find any concrete answers, so hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm specifically wondering if much or any of the content has changed - are there any new topics, have any of the topics been changed, or has the content just been moved around a bit?

Thank you in advance! Will continue looking myself as well :smile:

Edexcel specific, but a pretty good overview - summary of changes
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
Edexcel specific, but a pretty good overview - summary of changes

Thank you! Really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know about further maths or the other exam boards? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Eldronyx
Thank you! Really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know about further maths or the other exam boards? :smile:

The other exam boards should be the same as Edexcel, as the A Level content is now 100% set by the DfE. Everyone has to do the same thing. There may be minor differences in the way that the material is delivered or examined, but there should not be any different topics.

Further Maths has been so comprehensively restructured that the best thing you could do is to look at the specifications from the individual exam boards.

Quick Reply

Latest