Depo injection - your thoughts? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had the depo injection after I had a termination at 11 weeks. Already my hormones being so high, they injected me when I was asleep and I have had every single symptom going - the heavy constant bleeding since September, the mood swings where it actually effects my job, tingling in my hands, tiredness and fatigued, dizziness, headaches. I have had to have a lot of time off work since the abdominal pains are unbearable. I even got hospitalised on New Years Eve and guess what they decide to do?! Inject me with it again knowing I had all these problems. I struggled with remembering to take the pill but honestly cannot deal with this one anymore. I’m angry and bitter and i feel my emotions are everywhere!!

Anyone else actually had any good experiences on this?? Most reviews I have read have been pretty bad!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
is depo contraception
18nsarette
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I really enjoyed having the depo shot and didn't really have any negative side effects besides irregular bleeding and crying at small stuff (like when I saw a puppy or something, not very serious), but I hated having to get a shot every 3 months so I just switched to the nexplanon implant and its been going well so far. I was really afraid of getting it because it was a mild procedure, but it was like 5 minutes tops and everything is going great now. It lasts 3 years and you don't have to worry about it at all. Maybe consider it. It's also progesterone based (I think, not 100% sure), so idk if it's guaranteed to have the same side effects.
Bubblepunk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thankfully never had any issues with the depo but my eldest sister did after she’d given birth, I’m sure with regards to the injection that it’s the same as the implant in the sense that you have to take it for at least 6 months so two injections to give your body a chance to normalise with it. However, it sounds like you are really suffering so I’d suggest making an appointment with your GP/Clinician to discuss your options. Best of luck to you and I hope you find something that works for you.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had the depo injection after I had a termination at 11 weeks. Already my hormones being so high, they injected me when I was asleep and I have had every single symptom going - the heavy constant bleeding since September, the mood swings where it actually effects my job, tingling in my hands, tiredness and fatigued, dizziness, headaches. I have had to have a lot of time off work since the abdominal pains are unbearable. I even got hospitalised on New Years Eve and guess what they decide to do?! Inject me with it again knowing I had all these problems. I struggled with remembering to take the pill but honestly cannot deal with this one anymore. I’m angry and bitter and i feel my emotions are everywhere!!

Anyone else actually had any good experiences on this?? Most reviews I have read have been pretty bad!!
What stopped you from saying "no"? They wouldn't have done it without your consent.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bubblepunk)
I thankfully never had any issues with the depo but my eldest sister did after she’d given birth, I’m sure with regards to the injection that it’s the same as the implant in the sense that you have to take it for at least 6 months so two injections to give your body a chance to normalise with it. However, it sounds like you are really suffering so I’d suggest making an appointment with your GP/Clinician to discuss your options. Best of luck to you and I hope you find something that works for you.
Thank you! Literally I have had to have so much time off work due to the abdominal pains it goes me. They give me tablets to ease the pain and to stop the bleeding but after the tablets are gone, I am in agony. Not too sure if have appendicitis since my right lower hand side has been giving me so much pain. I touch it and it it seems so tender 🤷🏻*♀️. Going to try and get a doctors appointment tomorrow but apparently doing refurbishments atm 🤷🏻*♀️. If not, will have to ring up 111. Got a scan on Tuesday but can’t wait until then 😭 I don’t want it again. Literally every side effect, I have had
Anonymous #1
What stopped you from saying "no"? They wouldn't have done it without your consent.
1. I was pretty dosed up on tablets at the time
2. They said I shouldn’t feel like this anymore
3. I was tired since woman opposite me snored like a fog horn at 5am in the morning and didn’t get admitted into the ward for the night until around 4
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 18nsarette)
I really enjoyed having the depo shot and didn't really have any negative side effects besides irregular bleeding and crying at small stuff (like when I saw a puppy or something, not very serious), but I hated having to get a shot every 3 months so I just switched to the nexplanon implant and its been going well so far. I was really afraid of getting it because it was a mild procedure, but it was like 5 minutes tops and everything is going great now. It lasts 3 years and you don't have to worry about it at all. Maybe consider it. It's also progesterone based (I think, not 100% sure), so idk if it's guaranteed to have the same side effects.
My bleeding has been none stop since September 😭 if it does stop, it does for around two days then the pains in my stomach get worse and I start bleeding again. They just make me angry all the time. Got into trouble at work for being abrupt and rude but I didn’t even realise I was coming across like that but never usually am due to the hormones. I reckon a complete imbalance since I already had high hormones from the termination to then be injected with something with high hormones as well
Xellbt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)I had the depo injection after I had a termination at 11 weeks. Already my hormones being so high, they injected me when I was asleep and I have had every single symptom going - the heavy constant bleeding since September, the mood swings where it actually effects my job, tingling in my hands, tiredness and fatigued, dizziness, headaches. I have had to have a lot of time off work since the abdominal pains are unbearable. I even got hospitalised on New Years Eve and guess what they decide to do?! Inject me with it again knowing I had all these problems. I struggled with remembering to take the pill but honestly cannot deal with this one anymore. I’m angry and bitter and i feel my emotions are everywhere!!

Hello, i also had depo after an 8 weeks termination. It was in september just gone, 2018. It was the worst thing i have ever done. I got really bad nervousness, i just wanted to sleep all the time to get the feeling to go away. My sex drive has competely went, i feel awful for my boyfriend because im just not myself anymore. I have no feeling for anything. Its weird how i feel! I am starting to feel better now but the feelings do come and go! But it does get better! Stay strong x
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
depo injections are literally heavily concentrated drugs which they inject in your fatty tissue to act as a drug resevoir. the term depo can apply to quite a few different drugs tbh so the OP would have to be more specific about the drug. saying that, because they gave a high concentration of whatever drug, you will be more prone to experiencing side-effects of said drug, and like someone else mentioned, they should actually have obtained your consent (in writing) to administer it (unless you signed a waiver, in which case you forgoe all your rights and they can do whatever they want without a fear of being sued).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xellbt)
(Original post by Anonymous)I had the depo injection after I had a termination at 11 weeks. Already my hormones being so high, they injected me when I was asleep and I have had every single symptom going - the heavy constant bleeding since September, the mood swings where it actually effects my job, tingling in my hands, tiredness and fatigued, dizziness, headaches. I have had to have a lot of time off work since the abdominal pains are unbearable. I even got hospitalised on New Years Eve and guess what they decide to do?! Inject me with it again knowing I had all these problems. I struggled with remembering to take the pill but honestly cannot deal with this one anymore. I’m angry and bitter and i feel my emotions are everywhere!!

Hello, i also had depo after an 8 weeks termination. It was in september just gone, 2018. It was the worst thing i have ever done. I got really bad nervousness, i just wanted to sleep all the time to get the feeling to go away. My sex drive has competely went, i feel awful for my boyfriend because im just not myself anymore. I have no feeling for anything. Its weird how i feel! I am starting to feel better now but the feelings do come and go! But it does get better! Stay strong x
Mine was September just gone too. Towards the end of September. It’s true. I don’t feel anything either. Don’t care about other people’s feelings or if I even upset them 🙈😂 but it’s the stomach pains I can’t cope with the most and the constant bleeding. I’m always ill! My parents came to visit today and had a quick walk round town and now I’m back in bed with bad pains in my right side mainly - which indicates could be appendicitis?? I don’t think I will be having it again when need to get it on. Nothing has got better since taken it and the bleeding is constant, I’m not myself anymore and don’t even know who I am and if the stomach pains are due to this, I honestly just can’t cope 🤷🏻*♀️. I missed a lot of work because of this and I’m snappy with customers and other members staff and have no patience while before, I at least could bite my tongue 😂
Anonymous #1
Without sounding crude, I have massive clots leaving my body still, bigger then a kidney bean while before the termination, I NEVER had these massive clots x
Xellbt
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mine was September just gone too. Towards the end of September. It’s true. I don’t feel anything either. Don’t care about other people’s feelings or if I even upset them 🙈😂 but it’s the stomach pains I can’t cope with the most and the constant bleeding. I’m always ill! My parents came to visit today and had a quick walk round town and now I’m back in bed with bad pains in my right side mainly - which indicates could be appendicitis?? I don’t think I will be having it again when need to get it on. Nothing has got better since taken it and the bleeding is constant, I’m not myself anymore and don’t even know who I am and if the stomach pains are due to this, I honestly just can’t cope 🤷🏻*♀️. I missed a lot of work because of this and I’m snappy with customers and other members staff and have no patience while before, I at least could bite my tongue 😂
Its so horrible what it can do to you! Im crying about things that wouldn't nornally bother me and feeling a huge amount of guilt about things ive done in the past, like treating people the wrong way- it sounds stupid but this is what it's done to me!🙈 I only had the 1 shot and was due it in december and i didn't go back for it. I went to the doctors on friday and she said it can stay in your system upto 1 year because its a high dose of hormones they inject into to you! Im not sure about the pains in your stomach i havent had them but i wouldnt be surprised if it is from the depo shot! If you believe its your appendix i would go to the hospital
Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Its so horrible what it can do to you! Im crying about things that wouldn't nornally bother me and feeling a huge amount of guilt about things ive done in the past, like treating people the wrong way- it sounds stupid but this is what it's done to me!🙈 I only had the 1 shot and was due it in december and i didn't go back for it. I went to the doctors on friday and she said it can stay in your system upto 1 year because its a high dose of hormones they inject into to you! Im not sure about the pains in your stomach i havent had them but i wouldnt be surprised if it is from the depo shot! If you believe its your appendix i would go to the hospital
I had a look at all the symptoms before and literally I have had every single symptom going 😂😂. Up to a year?? I thought as six months. Oh god! I’m trouble with my work due to how it’s making me act!! I was in hospital in December and they just was like “you can have your injection while you are here” I refuse to have it again so I have had two doses and nothing has changed except from making it worse. Did you have yours straight after the termination?? Literally an hour afterwards. They gave it me so my hormones were already high then injected me with more high hormones so tbf I think I have an imbalance of hormones hence the bleeding 🤷🏻*♀️ so I know they meant to be high but back then, Jesus Christ 😂😂. I cried over my lava lamp bulb breaking and I jut get angry a lot. I don’t really care how I treated people in the past but got poorly treated by the guy who got my pregnant and tbf can’t help but overplay that 😂. The stomach pain is a symptom but it’s just more and more constant. I touch my stomach and in massive pain, it feels so tender. But then it can just go again so been holding off going to the hospital since don’t wanna waste their time. I have a scan on Tuesday but pain is so bad atm, I don’t know if can wait
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
I had side affects too. Never had abdominal pains, so really suggest getting that checked out quickly. I found it really affected my moods, very irregular bleeding, weight gain & total loss if sex drive, also sex uncomfortable etc. At the time I didn’t realise how much it was affecting me until I stopped taking it.
If you’re struggling to remember the pill & suffering side affects with depo, perhaps consider the coil?
Jammie_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Forget it not anonymous now 🙈😂. I have had all sorts of medication since September for it and none of shifted it
Xellbt
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammie_x)
I had a look at all the symptoms before and literally I have had every single symptom going 😂😂. Up to a year?? I thought as six months. Oh god! I’m trouble with my work due to how it’s making me act!! I was in hospital in December and they just was like “you can have your injection while you are here” I refuse to have it again so I have had two doses and nothing has changed except from making it worse. Did you have yours straight after the termination?? Literally an hour afterwards. They gave it me so my hormones were already high then injected me with more high hormones so tbf I think I have an imbalance of hormones hence the bleeding 🤷🏻*♀️ so I know they meant to be high but back then, Jesus Christ 😂😂. I cried over my lava lamp bulb breaking and I jut get angry a lot. I don’t really care how I treated people in the past but got poorly treated by the guy who got my pregnant and tbf can’t help but overplay that 😂. The stomach pain is a symptom but it’s just more and more constant. I touch my stomach and in massive pain, it feels so tender. But then it can just go again so been holding off going to the hospital since don’t wanna waste their time. I have a scan on Tuesday but pain is so bad atm, I don’t know if can wait
I had the termination and literally injected with it all in the space of an hour, i wish i looked up more about it before i got it. I know its the injection that has messed me up because i was so happy and out going before i got it but now I'm constantly down. About 2 weeks after i got it up until december time was the worst time ever for me. I was going work, coming home and sleeping and that's it, i was so low. I was nervous about everything, my palms would sweat, i was shaking, i couldnt sleep so had to take sleeping pills 😭 when my injection "ran out" i came on my period and then again 2 weeks later and then again 5 days after that so its still defo in my system 😫 your not wasting the doctors time if your in pain!
Jammie_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Same as me then! I was terrible at taking tablets hence thought this be ok to take but it’s been absolutely awful. Like you wish I did more research into it. I do that a lot when I go to work! Come back, go into my room, cba to do anything except from watching tv. I never been the greatest peoples person admittedly but I know even little things I get frustrated with now a days. The way someone even ass how I am. - I’m like “why is this convo boring? And asking how I am” - I literally am just negative all the time. Can’t see the positive in pretty much everything. I haven’t had the nervousness tbf - didn’t even know that was a symptom but had high blood pressure and constant tingling in my arms. That has subsided a bit but have had high temperatures, dizziness, headaches, feeling sick and being sick, tingling in arms, backache, fatigue, stomach pains, legs being weak struggling to walk, and not stopped bleeding at all since the termination! You had no bleeding either? You are so lucky!!! Do you mind me asking if the termination you had was surgical or by the pills?? X
Jammie_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had the termination and literally injected with it all in the space of an hour, i wish i looked up more about it before i got it. I know its the injection that has messed me up because i was so happy and out going before i got it but now I'm constantly down. About 2 weeks after i got it up until december time was the worst time ever for me. I was going work, coming home and sleeping and that's it, i was so low. I was nervous about everything, my palms would sweat, i was shaking, i couldnt sleep so had to take sleeping pills 😭 when my injection "ran out" i came on my period and then again 2 weeks later and then again 5 days after that so its still defo in my system 😫 your not wasting the doctors time if your in pain!
Same as me then! I was terrible at taking tablets hence thought this be ok to take but it’s been absolutely awful. Like you wish I did more research into it. I do that a lot when I go to work! Come back, go into my room, cba to do anything except from watching tv. I never been the greatest peoples person admittedly but I know even little things I get frustrated with now a days. The way someone even ass how I am. - I’m like “why is this convo boring? And asking how I am” - I literally am just negative all the time. Can’t see the positive in pretty much everything. I haven’t had the nervousness tbf - didn’t even know that was a symptom but had high blood pressure and constant tingling in my arms. That has subsided a bit but have had high temperatures, dizziness, headaches, feeling sick and being sick, tingling in arms, backache, fatigue, stomach pains, legs being weak struggling to walk, and not stopped bleeding at all since the termination! You had no bleeding either? You are so lucky!!! Do you mind me asking if the termination you had was surgical or by the pills??

I have been prescribed 8 different tablets since October for the stomach pains and nothing and getting worse at times. They say they think it’s the contraception or think I have a womb infection but I never felt pain like it!! Like I know something isn’t right 🤷🏻*♀️ x
Last edited by Jammie_x; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Without sounding crude, I have massive clots leaving my body still, bigger then a kidney bean while before the termination, I NEVER had these massive clots x
Have you been to see a doctor about this? They can give you the pill to take alongside the depo, which will stop the bleeding. And obviously don't agree to have another injection in the future if it is causing so many problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
18.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
12.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.12%

Watched Threads