The Student Room Group

Scholarship offers (Cambridge vs Imperial)

Have been given two offers (Cambridge and Imperial, I am so so so grateful somebody wants me), one of which, Imperial, includes something called the President Undergraduate Scholarship. The scholarship money is not much (£1000 per year, when fees for internationals are upwards of £40k per year) but the prestige that comes with it is significant. The catch is simply that I can only accept the scholarship if I place Imperial as my firm and essentially reject Cambridge. The conditional offer from Cambridge is quite hard to achieve (42 points, 776HL) and knowing the unpredictability of the IB it's quite hard for me to predict or even successfully work towards achieving that offer. There are also other factors (location in London, research opportunities, intercalation options, PBL) that I want to consider but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/advice on the matter.
Reply 1
Original post by xxdancingpinguxx
Have been given two offers (Cambridge and Imperial, I am so so so grateful somebody wants me), one of which, Imperial, includes something called the President Undergraduate Scholarship. The scholarship money is not much (£1000 per year, when fees for internationals are upwards of £40k per year) but the prestige that comes with it is significant. The catch is simply that I can only accept the scholarship if I place Imperial as my firm and essentially reject Cambridge. The conditional offer from Cambridge is quite hard to achieve (42 points, 776HL) and knowing the unpredictability of the IB it's quite hard for me to predict or even successfully work towards achieving that offer. There are also other factors (location in London, research opportunities, intercalation options, PBL) that I want to consider but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/advice on the matter.

If you are an international the total fees for Cambridge are much higher (especially when you have to add college fees on top of accommodation), if money is a factor.

But have you looked for any scholarships from Cambridge?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support
e.g. https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/?country=&degree=Undergraduate&subject=Medicine+&college=&submit=Search
Original post by Doonesbury
If you are an international the total fees for Cambridge are much higher (especially when you have to add college fees on top of accommodation), if money is a factor.

But have you looked for any scholarships from Cambridge?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support
e.g. https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/?country=&degree=Undergraduate&subject=Medicine+&college=&submit=Search

Thanks for replying!
Have looked through all the scholarship available at Cambridge and I'm not eligible for any of them. From my estimations, the costs are about the same including accommodation fees, albeit Cambridge being higher barring likely hikes in international fees. Either way, it's an awful lot of money, unfortunately, so money isn't much of a factor in my specific situation.
Reply 3
Thanks for replying!
Have looked through all the scholarship available at Cambridge and I'm not eligible for any of them. From my estimations, the costs are about the same including accommodation fees, albeit Cambridge being higher barring likely hikes in international fees. Either way, it's an awful lot of money, unfortunately, so money isn't much of a factor in my specific situation.

Why aren't you eligible?
Reply 4
Thanks for replying!

I'm pretty sure everyone is eligible for cambridge trust's scholarship (but the deadline has passed already though)
Reply 5
Original post by esrever
(but the deadline has passed already though)

Gpwm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Quick Reply

Latest