Why do so many people hate Chinese International students in uni? Watch

chessyfish
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Well, okay, the word "hate" is bit over the top. But seriously, as a Chinese international student myself, the struggle is real here - it's extremely difficult to make (non-Chinese) friends; and even just people who are handing out leaflets on campus (from society or whatever,) they would give those leaflets to everyone else but people who has an east-Asian face.

Do things like this only happen in my uni? If you never integrate with Chinese International students, can you tell me why?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chessyfish)
Well, okay, the word "hate" is bit over the top. But seriously, as a Chinese international student myself, the struggle is real here - it's extremely difficult to make (non-Chinese) friends; and even just people who are handing out leaflets on campus (from society or whatever,) they would give those leaflets to everyone else but people who has an east-Asian face.

Do things like this only happen in my uni? If you never integrate with Chinese International students, can you tell me why?
Then don't use it.
Last edited by ageshallnot; 1 year ago
Idg a damn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am Chinese myself and I think the scorn seems to stem from groundless stereotypes that us Chinese are uncouth babarians who would **** in the elevator, steal stuff, cut the line etc.

Like really? How is this even related to people like me anyhow? I am a Malaysian Chinese, not someone who's without manners and etiquette!
Last edited by Idg a damn; 1 year ago
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yea, the term 'hate' is over the top and unhelpful.

My campus is maybe 40-50% Int Chinese Students and all I can really say is they seem to keep to their own groups, we don't share classes or canteens, they have different buses ect. I've never made much serious effort to engage them and they haven't engaged me *shrug* we've all got things to do. I've no reason to dislike them let alone hate them.
Salostar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, okay, the word "hate" is bit over the top.
That 'Hate' is the wrong word is an understatement...

As someone who did interact with international Asian (note, this wasn't specific to Chinese, it was something common amongst the majority of Asian students) students, spent a year living in a 10 bed house with predominantly international Asian (majority Chinese, but also a Malaysian, and another but I don't remember where they were from) house mates, remainder being 1 other Britain and an American, and met my Chinese wife while at University.

From my observations and experience international Asian students as a whole tend to spend their time amongst themselves, both while at university and out. This isn't always the case, particularly when in an environment where they're 'forced' to interact with other students (assigned groups, housing) or take interest in societies/extracurricular activities.

Naturally this leads to other people thinking that international Asian students don’t want to engage with anyone else outside of their own cultural groups*.

*Which I suspect is the main reason for why people from different cultures tend to hang around with people from their own or similar cultures. There is an entire field of study on intercultural relationships and its worth looking into. I would also recommend reading ‘Watching the English’ by Kate Fox, an anthropologist who wrote about English (Scottish, Welsh and Irish are culturally different) culture and well worth a read from anyone to better understand English culture. Of note is where we tend to be shy around strangers unless it’s at a pub, club, or some other location/event where we let our hair down.
chessyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Idg a damn)
I am Chinese myself and I think the scorn seems to stem from stereotypes that us Chinese, especially mainland Chinese, are uncouth babarians who would **** in the elevator, steal stuff, cut the line etc.

Like really? How is this even related to people like me anyhow? I am a Malaysian Chinese, not someone who's without manners and etiquette!
Thanks for replying. however as a mainlander myself, I wouldn't say majority of mainlanders are like this, even though I do admit there are some brats out there - but brats exist despite nationality.
sammyj97
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which university do you go to? We don’t hate you
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont hate them at all but it does irritate me somewhat that *some* (not all) of them dont try to integrate at all, they all live in the same accommodation, hang out in the same groups, speak their own language. It would be nice to have some of your own people if you moved to a new country but what is the point of going to another country if you arent even going to try to partake in getting to know the residents and new people. The best thing about uni is how varied it is and how all people are welcome, i dont see the appeal in segregation like that
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have nothing against Chinese students but I don't have any Chinese student friends because I don't think there are any on my course. I'm not deliberately avoiding students from China.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm ethnically Chinese but from Singapore so when I was at uni I naturally didn't fit in with the international students from China. And neither did my sister or mother when they were studying
chessyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by sammyj97)
Which university do you go to? We don’t hate you
Exeter. Sure no one would yell racial slurs at me - however I do find my univesity life is a huge struggle.
sammyj97
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exeter. Sure no one would yell racial slurs at me - however I do find my univesity life is a huge struggle.
University life is already a struggle. It can be a little daunting for people to make new friends. Something I’ve noticed is people tend to stick in their comfort zone and interact with people who look similar/from the same type of ethnic background to avoid awkwardness. Why don’t you take the first step and try making convo?
Idg a damn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for replying. however as a mainlander myself, I wouldn't say majority of mainlanders are like this, even though I do admit there are some brats out there - but brats exist despite nationality.
That is the undisputed fact. Sorry if I offended you with my post
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of my good friends at university is a Chinese international student and she's the first ever friend I've made that is not British. I actually approached her first, she seemed very interesting and now we are quite close. Honestly for those saying they don't integrate, it isn't always easy when you only come to the UK to study here, a lot of Chinese students I know feel like British people don't make the effort to speak to them and whilst it can be applied both ways, I think we should make more of an effort to talk to those who left their home countries to study here because by saying that they don't integrate and just stay in their ethnic groups, we are effectively doing the same by not trying to talk to them.
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am Chinese myself and I think the scorn seems to stem from stereotypes that us Chinese, especially mainland Chinese, are uncouth babarians who would **** in the elevator, steal stuff, cut the line etc.

That is the undisputed fact. Sorry if I offended you with my post
'Undisputed fact' on what basis?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago

They dont.

The idea of people not giving you a leaflet because you are Chinese sounds ridiculous.

Amongst locals where I am then Chinese are very much liked and welcome.
Amongst other students I would think at worst they are indifferent.
If anything threads and questions seem to be about why Chinese students only hang out with other Chinese students and dont mix as easily with UK ones. there were some good explanations.
Idg a damn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Assembly)
'Undisputed fact' on what basis?
Foul people are everywhere, and nationality has got little to do with it

Some would say otherwise though
Assembly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Foul people are everywhere, and nationality has got little to do with it

Some would say otherwise though
But how can you be sure the alleged 'scorn' specifically stems from the stereotypes you have listed? As far as i'm aware, the assertion that chinese students are hated because they're 'uncouth barbarians' appears to be your own subjective interpretation - and not 'undisputed fact'. Sure, foul people are everywhere, but that doesn't back up the reasoning behind your original statement.
Idg a damn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Assembly)
But how can you be sure the alleged 'scorn' specifically stems from the stereotypes you have listed? As far as i'm aware, the assertion that chinese students are hated because they're 'uncouth barbarians' appears to be your own subjective interpretation - and not 'undisputed fact'. Sure, foul people are everywhere, but that doesn't back up the reasoning behind your original statement.
The only fact I was referring to is that foul people are everywhere regardless of race nationality gender etc
Assembly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only fact I was referring to is that foul people are everywhere regardless of race nationality gender etc
The fact you originally refered to as undisputed was those stereotypes, which aren't fact but your opinion. You didn't mention anything about foul people being everywhere in your OP, in which you claimed the stereotypes were fact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads