Danny2JZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone!

I'm not sure what to do here, i'm currently working full-time employment, but I want to start going in the direction where I will be happy in my job.

I'm currently looking at Engineering courses in the college near me, but i'm not too sure on what I want to do after that. I like the sound of Uni, but i'd like to be working sooner, what jobs would be able to apply for right from the get go after college gaining the Level 3 in Engineering and also the functional skills that come with Level 2 in Maths & English which is equivilant to a "C".

Also what courses would be available in Uni if I was ever planning on going?

I'm so confused on what to do because at the moment, I'd like to see myself working in the future with a comfortable salary and enjoying myself on the job. I also like the sound of working with computers (I think) and the Electrical side of engineering seems great for me I could see myself doing that, but not sure on the best way to get there.

I didn't do well in school at all, but I think I can get into a level 3 course because i've done level 2 motor vehicle in the past so its like relevant experience for me.

I hope you understand what i'm trying to say here, my words might be all over the place here, but thank you in advance for any guidance to help me😊
DannyB2701
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you're going to struggle to get onto a level 3 course that studies anything other then auto-motives with a level 2 motor vehicle award. Level 2 awards are generally to get you to move onto a level 3 in that respected area, for example level 2 electrical engineering will get you to a level 3 electrical engineering diploma guaranteed. i would advise asking the college you are looking at what they accept as colleges look further then grades and no college is the same.As for getting a job after doing a level 3 diploma its most definitely possible. you wont be earning as high amounts as someone who has got to degree level but in turn the work load will be significantly less. Maybe look into apprenticeships, they're great for people who want to have a career swap whilst also getting the education required to move to other jobs.hope this helped!
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danny2JZ)
Hey everyone!

I'm not sure what to do here, i'm currently working full-time employment, but I want to start going in the direction where I will be happy in my job.

I'm currently looking at Engineering courses in the college near me, but i'm not too sure on what I want to do after that. I like the sound of Uni, but i'd like to be working sooner, what jobs would be able to apply for right from the get go after college gaining the Level 3 in Engineering and also the functional skills that come with Level 2 in Maths & English which is equivilant to a "C".

I'm so confused on what to do because at the moment, I'd like to see myself working in the future with a comfortable salary and enjoying myself on the job. I also like the sound of working with computers (I think) and the Electrical side of engineering seems great for me I could see myself doing that, but not sure on the best way to get there.

I didn't do well in school at all, but I think I can get into a level 3 course because i've done level 2 motor vehicle in the past so its like relevant experience for me.

I hope you understand what i'm trying to say here, my words might be all over the place here, but thank you in advance for any guidance to help me😊
Solent University QMUL Derby College please can you share some advice
Derby College
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

It's good to see that you're considering your options and finding a career path you will enjoy.

Engineering is quite a big field so I can’t answer this definitively but with a Level 3 qualification the careers you could be expecting would be roles like Junior Tool Maker, Engineering Labourer, Maintenance Engineer or a Rail Engineering Technician. The careers you could get would depend on the course you are taking and the area of Engineering you’re looking to go into as it is quite a large field.

We offer a Career Coach site (https://derby-college.emsicareercoach.co.uk/) which allows you to match qualifications with careers and find out the average salary for these jobs in a particular region. Hopefully this is of some use.

There are many educational routes you can take into Engineering, it sounds like you have considered both college and university but have you considered an apprenticeship? Most Engineering apprenticeships last around 4 years with the opportunity for full-time employment being a real possibility with the company afterwards.

We would expect a minimum of grade 4-9 / A-C to get into college for Engineering or to do an Engineering apprenticeship as this is what apprenticeship employers look for. This may vary with other colleges and employers but most colleges offer Maths and English qualifications so if you haven't got these it's nothing to worry about but it's something to consider.

We offer many routes within Engineering (https://www.derby-college.ac.uk/care...as/engineering) from Machinist, Mechatronics, Rail Engineering and more. So, it may be worth considering exactly which route you'd like to take and what options you'll have after your course.

If you would like to know more about Engineering apprenticeships or to apply for one you can use the government website to search for opportunities in your area (https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship).

I hope this has helped. Please feel free to ask me any more questions you have.

Thanks,
Liam
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone!

Just quoting you in so you see the advice above
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Danny,
I see you have had a reply from others. You mentioned that you would be interested in the computer side of engineering. In this area there are a few apprenticeships on offer including:
Level 3 IT solutions technician
Level 4 Network Engineer
The key is to find the right employer who will support you through the apprenticeship. You can gain entry to some apprenticeships without your English and Maths, instead you would do them alongside your apprenticeship.
The Institute for Apprenticeships is a good place to look for apprenticeships on offer
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/

Hope this helps
Matt

Hey everyone!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads