Masters degree in the USA

Watch this thread
Raachel98
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have decided to study my masters in America, as I have always wanted to experience university life over there. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some more information on being able to do a masters over there. Is it the same as England, where student finance pays the tuition loans and gives a maintenance loan or is there an American system I can apply for that would help out financially?
I have studied abroad for a year in Australia, so I know that studying abroad is a very big decision to make.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
SFE won’t fund study outside the uk (and even so the PGL is only around £10k to cover fees and living costs).

You will need to find scholarships from US universities if you can’t afford it yourself. You will be competing for scholarships against the best students in the world.
MiM-Essay
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey there,

The USA is well-known for top universities such as Harvard, Massachusetts of Technology and has the biggest chunk of international students from around the world. The American graduate programs are renowned worldwide for their quality education, impressive return on investment, and a reputable alumni network.

But studying in USA is quite expensive. Excluding your tuition fees, and insurance the other factor which adds up to your cost of living are accommodation, food, and necessities.

The place of stay also places a key role while you decide the living expenses in the USA. Generally, the cost of housing is economical at New York($1, 440 per month) compared to San Francisco($1,956 per month)

The average annual cost of living in the USA for students is US$ 18,800. This includes $ 12006 for rent, $4776 for food and $2000 for other daily expenses.
There are student loans as well which can help you out. The application for loan procedure start around in October. Always start the procedure of loan evaluation, loan sanction and getting solvency letters which prove as ‘proof of funds’ to the universities before this period. The amount can be received after the admission.
In U.K to be eligible for student loan one should always check whether the university is aligned with the Government, if not you won't be eligible. The students in England can apply online for student loan you just have to set up an online finance account and submit all the necessary document.
A master’s program in U.S is not research focussed unlike U.K or Europe’s system, it is much more structured. You will be expected to study independently. You won’t be able to study standalone research Masters such as the MRes (Master of Research) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy) in the USA.
The Study program in US involves much more continuous assessments. You'll be doing more regular tasks, ranging from in-class examinations on core knowledge to shorter coursework essays. Marks for these will be converted into a Grade Point Average (GPA), reflecting progress across your course.
The duration to complete a masters degree in US is usually 2 yrs which is longer as compared to U.K or Europe.

The USA may have a fairly strict immigration system but the country welcomes a huge number of international students each year. If you think that you want to stay and work in the United States after completing your undergraduate degree, make sure that you know your visa requirements and restrictions. The US immigration system can be confusing for those who intend to stay on after study, if you want to continue living in America after graduation, you have to find a job with an employer who is happy to sponsor your stay. Or else, after the program ends, you will have 60 days to depart the U.S.

If you do not intend to apply to work in the USA after you graduate you should ensure that your Masters degree is appropriate for a professional career in your home country or elsewhere. In the majority of cases this will not be an issue, but some programmes may be particularly tailored to US employment contexts.

Hope this helps and clears your doubts. If you have more question feel free to reach out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
42.09%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed