JacobBob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is from my A2 bio book :
The phosphorylation of ADP to ATP is also catalysed by ATPase and requires 34 kJ of energy.

I’m confused, shouldn’t the synthesis of ATP be catalysed by ATP synthase and the breakdown of it be catalysed by ATPase ?
googie3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i think both these enzymes are the same.... please confirm...
Jpw1097
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JacobBob)
This is from my A2 bio book :
The phosphorylation of ADP to ATP is also catalysed by ATPase and requires 34 kJ of energy.

I’m confused, shouldn’t the synthesis of ATP be catalysed by ATP synthase and the breakdown of it be catalysed by ATPase ?
You're absolutely right, the phosphorylation of ADP to ATP is catalysed by ATP synthase (which uses the proton gradient across the inner mitochondrial membrane), NOT ATPase. An ATPase is an enzyme which splits ATP to ADP and Pi (inorganic phosphate).
An example of an ATPase is the Na+/K+-ATPase (i.e. sodium-potassium pump) which pumps 3 Na+ ions out of the cell and 2 K+ ions into the cell. The ATPase catalyses the breakdown of ATP to ADP and inorganic phosphate, releasing energy which allows the pump to pump sodium out and potassium into the cell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads