The Student Room Group

Which medical school has the least requirements for interview?

Scroll to see replies

(deleted)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fangers
hey - coming from a current year 11, you do not need to be stressing about gcses in year 8!! 3 years ago they were the furthest thing from my mind, and i was just having fun, you do need to study hard to get good grades in them BUT nowhere near as much as you think you do. i get that you're worried because of all the emphasis that seems to be placed on them which is to be honest very unnecessary but i promise you that once you get there it is not nearly as bad as it seemed it was going to be. it's already a good start that you're in year 8 but you have a clear vision of where you might want to go, i've just chosen my a levels and i still don't know!! you will definitely have enough time if you revise smart (from year 10/11) and learn the content and it is entirely possible to do 10+ subjects and get good grades in them!! in fact it might be compulsory in your school to do at least 8/9 GCSEs because that's what most people have for competitive degrees, and they only ask their students to do that because it's entirely achievable. don't stress yourself silly at this time because it won't get you anywhere and will only make things worse for yourself - these years of secondary school are the only ones where you aren't worrying about exams so enjoy them while they last!!

thanks but im never going to stop stressing about school until I move out, then I can study whenever I want and itd be so much easier 😣 thanks though I appreciate it did make me calm down a bit 😂💞
that's ok!! i know being in the british education system is super stressful when you're in the thick of it and the fact that you're worrying now (three years early!!) is testament to the fact that the pressure is only getting worse and some schools are really worryingly bad at providing support... it's much easier to say 'that was nothing' when you've done it and can look back!! which is hopefully something you'll be doing in a few years time at med school :smile: if you need any more advice or calming down then you can always message me i'm glad to help❤️❤️
Original post by csh19120522
u don't understand Im so scared for the future it's very competitive I NEED to study NOW bc I never study bc all my life they're like omg ur so smart so I felt I didn't need to but I DO😔and I'd ask them but they say we are too young to worry about careers and also I have no time during lessons/after 😔🍓

chill out, doing well in school in year 8 wont help your qpplication at all. obviously do as well as you can but dont even think about making this medical school application uour life. just chill out and keep doing cadets.
Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17
Well you need Maths, English (ideally literature and language) and at least double science, I’d suggest triple science though. The rest is up to you chose to do what you enjoy.

Defo triple, as you need chem and usually bio as A levels, and many sixth forms or colleges prefer you to have studied triple. Also you’ll learn more as you’ll be with people who like and want to well in science. :smile:)
Original post by fangers
that's ok!! i know being in the british education system is super stressful when you're in the thick of it and the fact that you're worrying now (three years early!!) is testament to the fact that the pressure is only getting worse and some schools are really worryingly bad at providing support... it's much easier to say 'that was nothing' when you've done it and can look back!! which is hopefully something you'll be doing in a few years time at med school :smile: if you need any more advice or calming down then you can always message me i'm glad to help❤️❤️

thank you, how can I add u as a friend? im new to this app im not sure 😂
ok thanks 🙂
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Defo triple, as you need chem and usually bio as A levels, and many sixth forms or colleges prefer you to have studied triple. Also you’ll learn more as you’ll be with people who like and want to well in science. :smile:)

I see what u mean, I think I'll do all 3 sciences and maths, but is there two types of math or just one?? what else should I do as I need to do like 10 GCSEs bc. med schools want u to do different things in ur studies
thank you, how can I add u as a friend? im new to this app im not sure 😂

you can just send me a message via the app if you want to talk privately :smile:
I see what u mean, I think I'll do all 3 sciences and maths, but is there two types of math or just one?? what else should I do as I need to do like 10 GCSEs bc. med schools want u to do different things in ur studies

it depends on what your school offers. there's your compulsory maths gcse, which everybody does, and if your school offers it and thinks you're capable they might let you do additional (or further which is what some people call it) maths, basically a step between gcse and a level. but it is NOT expected or required for a med degree, it's simply extra and you won't be penalised if you don't have it. and if you're doing med you may well end up doing maths a level anyway, (or maybe even further maths to boot) which is obviously harder than any type of maths gcse. your school should help you when it comes to picking gcses, to make sure you don't cordon yourself off in case you change your mind completely about the direction you want to go in. another important point to remember is that your a level options are far far more important than your gcse ones when it comes to unis looking at your degree!!! so you should really just do what you love because that's what you'll do well in; if you're looking at med all your required subjects will be compulsory anyway. as an example my school makes core subjects (triple science, maths, english lit and lang,) a modern foreign language, a humanity and an art compulsory, and then lets us pick 2 more free options on top of that. (your school might do 10 gcses though instead of 11.)
Original post by fangers
it depends on what your school offers. there's your compulsory maths gcse, which everybody does, and if your school offers it and thinks you're capable they might let you do additional (or further which is what some people call it) maths, basically a step between gcse and a level. but it is NOT expected or required for a med degree, it's simply extra and you won't be penalised if you don't have it. and if you're doing med you may well end up doing maths a level anyway, (or maybe even further maths to boot) which is obviously harder than any type of maths gcse. your school should help you when it comes to picking gcses, to make sure you don't cordon yourself off in case you change your mind completely about the direction you want to go in. another important point to remember is that your a level options are far far more important than your gcse ones when it comes to unis looking at your degree!!! so you should really just do what you love because that's what you'll do well in; if you're looking at med all your required subjects will be compulsory anyway. as an example my school makes core subjects (triple science, maths, english lit and lang,) a modern foreign language, a humanity and an art compulsory, and then lets us pick 2 more free options on top of that. (your school might do 10 gcses though instead of 11.)

ohh gotcha, I understand now than u!
Reply 31
You really shouldn't be stressing about GCSE's in year 8 don't worry! Just focus on being on top of your subjects now and maybe it might help (and would look impressive on your application) if you maybe thought about doing some volunteering? Maybe just in a charity shop or in a local primary school. But that really isn't necessary until like yr 10 or 11 - it might just be something fun to do in your spare time which builds on the qualities a medic needs.
Also does your school offer D of E? That could also be something fun to do and you get a qualification out of it? Also don't drop any sports, musical instruments/ hobbies you have they're a good way to relax and can be something to talk about in interviews.

This is such a long way away though, most medics don't even know they want to do medicine in yr8, just carry on being as determined and hard working as you are now and you'll be absolutely fine!
Original post by fangers
you can just send me a message via the app if you want to talk privately :smile:

ok thanks 😁

Well your school makes you do English lit, Lang, maths and then triple science is 3 subjects, so that’s already 6. Sos unis for example UCL require you to have a MFL. Do whatever you like and are good at. But seriously tho, I thought I wanted to go into medicine so badly for over a year, but changed my mind now. Trust me, you’ll probably change your mind about actual medicine (even if you opt for medical sciences/research etc).

And you’re in year 8 (I think I read...), your GCSEs are in over 3 years, please please don’t start stressing. In year 7,8 and 9 I didn’t even really science and wasn’t even that good (eg. worst in class), but now I’ve done so well in 2 years and am one of the best. You really don’t need to stress yourself out with studying at this point. I know what it’s like to get the obsession with having to be best in the class (idk if you get that too) but pls save it for GCSEs - that’s when you need to focus your energy xxx
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Well your school makes you do English lit, Lang, maths and then triple science is 3 subjects, so that’s already 6. Sos unis for example UCL require you to have a MFL. Do whatever you like and are good at. But seriously tho, I thought I wanted to go into medicine so badly for over a year, but changed my mind now. Trust me, you’ll probably change your mind about actual medicine (even if you opt for medical sciences/research etc).

And you’re in year 8 (I think I read...), your GCSEs are in over 3 years, please please don’t start stressing. In year 7,8 and 9 I didn’t even really science and wasn’t even that good (eg. worst in class), but now I’ve done so well in 2 years and am one of the best. You really don’t need to stress yourself out with studying at this point. I know what it’s like to get the obsession with having to be best in the class (idk if you get that too) but pls save it for GCSEs - that’s when you need to focus your energy xxx

I do and thanks 🤣🙂💞

Quick Reply