The Student Room Group

BBB to A*AA in 3 to 4 months

Hello,

Is this still possible? (4 marks off an A in English)

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Edit: thank you so much for the flood of encouraging messages and advice! Goes to show it is still entirely possible, after all! Now just a case of seriously getting your head down, getting rid of distractions and working your arse off, really!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's no reason why it's not if you make sure your revision sessions are productive.

Usually people revising around this time of the year will get one or two grades higher by the time exams arrive.

The jump from A to A* is a lot harder than from B to A.
You'll need to really understand the content to get the higher marks, but no reason why it's not possible with where you're currently at.
Reply 2
Original post by JaredzzC
There's no reason why it's not if you make sure your revision sessions are productive.

Usually people revising around this time of the year will get one or two grades higher by the time exams arrive.

The jump from A to A* is a lot harder than from B to A.
You'll need to really understand the content to get the higher marks, but no reason why it's not possible with where you're currently at.

Hello,

To provide further context to my circumstances, I am predicted AAA, and my form tutor said the only thing I focus on at this stage is exam technique. Is it predominantly the case that exam technique also makes up a large portion of the marks? And is exam technique something that is easily fixable (in my circumstances)?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Anythings possible my guy, i'm grinding right now for my A* in maths and possibly an A-A* in DT got mocks coming up, the mocks are supposed to prepare you for the real exam, don't think just because you've gotten your predicted grades you don't have to try anymore.

Good luck
Reply 4
I believe anyone can get AAA. A* tends to be a bit tricker, and in something like English, it's somewhat luck dependent. But I think A*AA is possible still for you. Just utilise exam spec/examiner reports/past papers & mark schemes along with revision notes. That's what I used to get an A* in English A Level. Just limit social media use and grind. Good luck.
Reply 5
If you want it bad enough, you willl make it happen.
You can even get A*A*A*, nothing is impossible.
Don’t think about what can happen in a month, just focus on the 24 hour in front of you and do what you can to get closer to where you want to be.
Tbh anything is possible just work hard from now on until June.
Another tip is to quit all the distractions such as social media... but you don’t have to.
Good luck, you will do it, just believe in yourself.
ofccc got ABB in my December mocks and I very well intend to get A*A*A*/A*A*A (my predicted grades), i'm pretty much at A*AA atm. there's like 3 months before exams start and when we stop learning new content it's gonna be a lot easier as you'll just be revising and nailing your old content. good luck c:
Reply 7
It was only one subject, but I know someone who got a D up to a B to get their course. Good luck.
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

This time last year I was predicted BBC in Mathematics, Computer Science and Further Maths respectively, and I managed to achieve A*A*A*. If I can do it, you definitely can.
Original post by JackMac2904
This time last year I was predicted BBC in Mathematics, Computer Science and Further Maths respectively, and I managed to achieve A*A*A*. If I can do it, you definitely can.

Omg, that's incredible!! :eek: Do you mind if I ask how?? My subjects are very different to yours (bio, chem and psychology) but there might be a few tips that I can take on board...
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Edit: thank you so much for the flood of encouraging messages and advice! Goes to show it is still entirely possible, after all! Now just a case of seriously getting your head down, getting rid of distractions and working your arse off, really!

Yes, definitely. The only thing holding you back is yourself. Brush negative thoughts aside, turn off your phone. Make a list of things that you will do when you study, don't say i will study english, say you will study macbeth act 1 scene 5 (just an example), be specific, that way you will not procrastinate because you know what you will study. This is the time to be selfish, don't study with friends or spend time with them. The time is now
Reply 11
START REVISING NOW!!!! Get those past papers and start grinding through them from now until your exams. You will become noticeably better. Keep going, of course, you can do it!
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Of course it is!! Put your mind to it and you will be fine. Positive mindset=positive outcome <3
U got this baby
Let me know how u get on baby
From ibi
Original post by dsirohi1
U got this baby
Let me know how u get on baby
From ibi

wtf :afraid:
Reply 15
Original post by Stratx
START REVISING NOW!!!! Get those past papers and start grinding through them from now until your exams. You will become noticeably better. Keep going, of course, you can do it!

Hello,

Does this mean doing roughly 3-4 practice essays per week, per term?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

P.S.: I am putting up a spreadsheet of roughly how much past paper and exam technique work I need to do, whilst ensuring I've covered everything.
Original post by AliceV_647
Omg, that's incredible!! :eek: Do you mind if I ask how?? My subjects are very different to yours (bio, chem and psychology) but there might be a few tips that I can take on board...

Very different subjects indeed, I also took physics which I usually don't mention because I only got a C (without trying tbh), just to say that I to a degree can understand the challenges that science based subjects can pose.

For my other subjects, I was lucky because further maths was a natural extension to maths, so it was like only revising for one A level, at least that's how I found it. Fundamentally what it came down to was thoroughly understanding the scheme of assessment and what I needed to achieve in each exam to achieve an A* overall. Once I thoroughly knew what I needed to achieve I worked to ensure I was 100% confident with the material, this is where textbooks become very useful. After that it really just came to practicing past papers, and completing any and all related questions until I was 100% confident on the exams. Being 100% confident in an exam seriously reduced exam nerves. To be honest, that was pretty much it, you just have to invest the time into it, and it takes a lot of time, effort and energy but the results of your hardwork are worth it, or at least it was for me. I went from plans of attending a local below average university to study computing to attaining admission to one of the best universities in the world to study Mathematics with Economics.

I think the best part of this 'journey' is that I never really told anyone what I was doing, my teachers probably noticed an increase in my performance during class, homeworks, and assessments, but that was it. So my friends were just expecting an average set of results, so me turning around to say I got 3 A*s was an amazing feeling, especially seeing them look at me like "wtaf Jack?" :laugh:

One extra little piece of advice for when your exams come round, I would always get into college 1.5-2 hours prior to my exam (even those pesky 9AMs) and lightly read through my textbooks and just chill out really. Whilst doing this, I saw a lot of people cramming questions in a blind panic and freaking out. I recommend that you do not do any practice questions on the mornings of your exams, at this point you don't stand to gain anything from it, the only thing that could happen is you finding a question you can't do which freaks you out for your exam.

I think that's pretty much all the advice I have to offer. Hope it helps, and Good Luck!
Reply 17
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Does this mean doing roughly 3-4 practice essays per week, per term?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

P.S.: I am putting up a spreadsheet of roughly how much past paper and exam technique work I need to do, whilst ensuring I've covered everything.

Start off with 3-4 papers per week I’d recommened. Use your spreadsheet effectively include the papers your going to do to. Record marks and topics you find difficult. I’d increase the amount of papers your going to do the closer it gets to exams.
Very different subjects indeed, I also took physics which I usually don't mention because I only got a C (without trying tbh), just to say that I to a degree can understand the challenges that science based subjects can pose.

For my other subjects, I was lucky because further maths was a natural extension to maths, so it was like only revising for one A level, at least that's how I found it. Fundamentally what it came down to was thoroughly understanding the scheme of assessment and what I needed to achieve in each exam to achieve an A* overall. Once I thoroughly knew what I needed to achieve I worked to ensure I was 100% confident with the material, this is where textbooks become very useful. After that it really just came to practicing past papers, and completing any and all related questions until I was 100% confident on the exams. Being 100% confident in an exam seriously reduced exam nerves. To be honest, that was pretty much it, you just have to invest the time into it, and it takes a lot of time, effort and energy but the results of your hardwork are worth it, or at least it was for me. I went from plans of attending a local below average university to study computing to attaining admission to one of the best universities in the world to study Mathematics with Economics.

I think the best part of this 'journey' is that I never really told anyone what I was doing, my teachers probably noticed an increase in my performance during class, homeworks, and assessments, but that was it. So my friends were just expecting an average set of results, so me turning around to say I got 3 A*s was an amazing feeling, especially seeing them look at me like "wtaf Jack?" :laugh:

One extra little piece of advice for when your exams come round, I would always get into college 1.5-2 hours prior to my exam (even those pesky 9AMs) and lightly read through my textbooks and just chill out really. Whilst doing this, I saw a lot of people cramming questions in a blind panic and freaking out. I recommend that you do not do any practice questions on the mornings of your exams, at this point you don't stand to gain anything from it, the only thing that could happen is you finding a question you can't do which freaks you out for your exam.

I think that's pretty much all the advice I have to offer. Hope it helps, and Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your reply - that's so helpful!! Haha, it must've been a good feeling when you told your friends what you'd got... :biggrin: Thank you again!
Reply 19

hi I'm doing the new fm a level. I'm not finding it that difficult but I just wanna know what you did to revise for it, specifically further mechanics if u did it because I keep struggling in exams despite doing most of the book questions.

Quick Reply

Latest