Hollie210603
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How does Priestley use Eva Smith to represent poverty in An Inspector Calls?
kurryyyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Her character and her graphic death makes the audience feel pity for her mistreatment by the birling family. The fact that she was exploited by the upper-class so horribly shows that the poor were not treated well in the Edwardian Era. Sheila got her fired because of her status showing the disregard of the poor. Eric using her because she was a prostitute shows his advantage as he was a higher class it was okay for him to objectify women. The fact that she was a prostitute highlights that she was so poor and couldn’t save herself from her poverty and she had to sell her own body for money which is undignified. Also she became a prostitute from the domino effect of being fired because of Sheila – as there was no union she couldn’t save herself from the mistreatment she got from mr birling and sheila. These all linked to poverty because there was no way to save herself from being poor and because of the upper-class having an advantage over her it made her stay in poverty.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
eva's treated poorly by the birlings, which shows their contemptuous attitude for people living in poverty.
she endured several hardships, many of them a result of being dismissed by one of the birlings. priestley likely wants to indicate the assistance that is needed for people living in poverty or many of them'll end up like her. she's one of many many people in similar positions, hence the use of the everyday-sounding name "eva smith".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (266)
56.6%
I don't have everything I need (204)
43.4%

Watched Threads