Oxford Maths without Further Maths Watch

blueworld2378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The website says this "A*A*A with the A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics (if taken). For those whom Further Mathematics is not available: either A*AAa with A* in Mathematics and a in AS-level Further Mathematics or A*AA with A* in Mathematics."

If I understand this correctly, it says that you are able to get in without Further Maths as long as you get A*AA with the A* in maths.

How likely is it to get in without Further Maths?

I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Geography for A-Level and got five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s at GCSE.
Kiki09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am not sure about whole university stats but for example Merton's admission feedback says that they had 74 applicants without further maths, 7 of those were interviewed and 2 received offers. You can see the details here: https://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/undergra...sions-feedback I imagine the other colleges publish similar.

A key question would be are you not doing futher maths because you chose not to or because it is not an option at your school. The possibility to get in without futher maths seems to be targeted at those who do not have the option rather than people who had the options and chose not to take it.
BlackPeopleGood
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by blueworld2378)
The website says this "A*A*A with the A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics (if taken). For those whom Further Mathematics is not available: either A*AAa with A* in Mathematics and a in AS-level Further Mathematics or A*AA with A* in Mathematics."

If I understand this correctly, it says that you are able to get in without Further Maths as long as you get A*AA with the A* in maths.

How likely is it to get in without Further Maths?

I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Geography for A-Level and got five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s at GCSE.
Idk about maths.. there arent many jobs for doing just pure maths
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kiki09)
I am not sure about whole university stats but for example Merton's admission feedback says that they had 74 applicants without further maths, 7 of those were interviewed and 2 received offers. You can see the details here: https://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/undergra...sions-feedback I imagine the other colleges publish similar.

A key question would be are you not doing futher maths because you chose not to or because it is not an option at your school. The possibility to get in without futher maths seems to be targeted at those who do not have the option rather than people who had the options and chose not to take it.
Just to be clear, that's data for the whole uni re maths, not just for Merton
blueworld2378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlackPeopleGood)
Idk about maths.. there arent many jobs for doing just pure maths
And you know this because?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads