The Student Room Group

'Domestic abuse happens to men too'

"Alex Skeel was repeatedly abused by his girlfriend Jordan Worth, who has become the first woman in the UK to be imprisoned for controlling and coercive behaviour.

He spoke to the BBC about the violence he suffered, and what he wants to be done."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47285708/domestic-abuse-happens-to-men-too

I think this is such an important story. There needs to be more awareness about abuse against men and to reduce the stigma surrounding it. There is nothing to be embarrassed about and it doesn't make you any less of a man for being the victim of abuse. Guys need to be just as aware of abusive red flags in women, just like women are aware of them in men!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannxm
"Alex Skeel was repeatedly abused by his girlfriend Jordan Worth, who has become the first woman in the UK to be imprisoned for controlling and coercive behaviour.

He spoke to the BBC about the violence he suffered, and what he wants to be done."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47285708/domestic-abuse-happens-to-men-too

I think this is such an important story. There needs to be more awareness about abuse against men and to reduce the stigma surrounding it. There is nothing to be embarrassed about and it doesn't make you any less of a man for being the victim of abuse. Guys need to be just as aware of abusive red flags in women, just like women are aware of them in men!

My elderly grandfather was abused financially, physically and pschologically by his new younger wife. We met her at the wedding. She was an abusive fraudster who married him to take everything he had money jewelry property. She had a veneer of charm, groomed everyone about her, was a prolific liar, grandiose, fraudulent and totally lacked remorse for what she did. He was too ashamed to admit what she was doing to him and he was afraid of her. She is evil. This was a predatory marriage and Fabian Hamilton MP has a Private Member's Bill to change the law to stop this happening.
(edited 5 years ago)
My boyfriend used to have a girlfriend who hit him regularly, and his friends found it absolutely hilarious - that a small woman could get away with hitting (and bruising) a big bloke. I think it would be different if it happened these days as this was about 15 years ago and awareness has improved since then, but still nowhere near enough. When he told me about her he actually started with "please don't laugh", so I thought it was going to be something silly. I didn't laugh, I didn't even smile. My heart broke for him, and for every other man who doesn't get taken seriously.
Original post by TSR Undergrad
My elderly grandfather was abused financially, physically and pschologically by his new younger wife. We met her at the wedding. She was an abusive fraudster who married him to take everything he had money jewelry property. She had a veneer of charm, groomed everyone about her, was a prolific liar, grandiose, fraudulent and totally lacked remorse for what she did. He was too ashamed to admit what she was doing to him and he was afraid of her. She is evil. This was a predatory marriage and Fabian Hamilton MP has a Private Member's Bill to change the law to stop this happening.

I'm sorry that happened. :frown: I hope we can move towards a future where men don't feel ashamed or embarrassed to come forward and that there is a change in the law about predatory marriages!
Most people will never be the victim of abuse male/female/disabled or child I think there to much coverage in media when it only affected around 1/5 of adult population and 2/5 of adults with disabilities. Most people will never experience any form of abuse in their lifetime and because of media over coverage of abuse people male/female might become scared to have a relationship with another person.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
My boyfriend used to have a girlfriend who hit him regularly, and his friends found it absolutely hilarious - that a small woman could get away with hitting (and bruising) a big bloke. I think it would be different if it happened these days as this was about 15 years ago and awareness has improved since then, but still nowhere near enough. When he told me about her he actually started with "please don't laugh", so I thought it was going to be something silly. I didn't laugh, I didn't even smile. My heart broke for him, and for every other man who doesn't get taken seriously.

That's disgusting. It's not about the size of the woman; it's the action of the woman that matters.
Original post by hannxm
That's disgusting. It's not about the size of the woman; it's the action of the woman that matters.

I think many men feel they should be able to cope but can't and the abuse escalates. Alex Skeel in his interview said he hoped that she would stop but the abuse continued. Some women are violent psychopaths just like some men are.
Original post by nonotyoutoo
I think he looks like an absolute Beta who was lucky to get the girlfriend that he did because she was much more attractive than he was. She was the best he could get and he knew it, that's why he stayed.

I think he stayed because he had 2 children with her. And no one, even *attractive* people have a right to pour boiling water over a person, knife them, burn them. I wonder how she is dealing with being in prison where there is a hierarchy of violent people.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TSR Undergrad
I think he stayed because he had 2 children with her. And no one, even *attractive* people have a right to pour boiling water over a person, knife them, burn them. I wonder how she is dealing with being in prison where there is a hierarchy of violent people.

she'll have done all right, she's fit, so would have found a protector in return for sexual favours.
Original post by looloo2134
Most people will never be the victim of abuse male/female/disabled or child I think there to much coverage in media when it only affected around 1/5 of adult population and 2/5 of adults with disabilities. Most people will never experience any form of abuse in their lifetime and because of media over coverage of abuse people male/female might become scared to have a relationship with another person.

There is a statistic that 4 out of 10 women have been sexually assaulted and 10 women an hour get raped in England and Wales. That's quite a high number. I don't think anyone is fearful of getting into relationships because of abuse statistics tbh - that's not really an issue. I feel like it's rare to find a person who has been treated properly and has not been abused.

I agree!
Original post by hannxm
There is a statistic that 4 out of 10 women have been sexually assaulted and 10 women an hour get raped in England and Wales. That's quite a high number. I don't think anyone is fearful of getting into relationships because of abuse statistics tbh - that's not really an issue. I feel like it's rare to find a person who has been treated properly and has not been abused.

I agree!

Be careful with those statistics. Often they will lump together different offenses or use very broad definitions to inflate the numbers. For example, that '4 out of 10' figure, wherever you heard it from, might include things that wouldn't even legally be considered sexual assault. It could have also come from some small, unreliable survey. The numbers bounce around hugely depending on the source, method, definitions, etc.
man should have the right to hit a woman back
Original post by Dandaman1
Be careful with those statistics. Often they will lump together different offenses or use very broad definitions to inflate the numbers. For example, that '4 out of 10' figure, wherever you heard it from, might include things that wouldn't even legally be considered sexual assault. It could have also come from some small, unreliable survey. The numbers bounce around hugely depending on the source, method, definitions, etc.

Thanks for that information. :smile:
Original post by hannxm

I agree!

I never meet anyone who would abuse another person in my life it very sad that you believe most people will be abuse in their life time.
I guess they can. What if the girl is into martial arts and the man is some weak-a** geek
People need to stop with the stereotypes !
Men can get hurt too 🥺🤚🏻
Original post by brasehole
man should have the right to hit a woman back

They do, legally speaking - you have the right to use force you felt was proportionate in self-defence. It's more a societal attitude that makes it verboten.
Original post by SJW-
yeah there is that jermey kyle clip where the bloke is talking about all the abuse real genuine abuse the woman was giving him. and the audience were laughing. women are kunts lets be 100

I’m a woman and I believe men can get mentally hurt
Dus that mean I’m a **** ?!
Original post by SJW-
yeah there is that jermey kyle clip where the bloke is talking about all the abuse real genuine abuse the woman was giving him. and the audience were laughing. women are kunts lets be 100

Don't take any notices of Jeremy Kyle most of the people male/female on the show are violent thugs anyway.
Original post by looloo2134
I never meet anyone who would abuse another person in my life it very sad that you believe most people will be abuse in their life time.

You're probably surrounded by many people who have been abused. Do you think they're going to tell you and everyone about all the abuse they suffered? By talking to me, you've met someone who's been abused in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending