'Domestic abuse happens to men too' Watch

-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I never meet anyone who would abuse another person in my life it very sad that you believe most people will be abuse in their life time.
You're probably surrounded by many people who have been abused. Do you think they're going to tell you and everyone about all the abuse they suffered? By talking to me, you've met someone who's been abused in the past.
RyJJEvans
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think as a male its harder too express or expose abuse within a relationship
TSR Undergrad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RyJJEvans)
I think as a male its harder too express or expose abuse within a relationship
you are absolutely right.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've took a hiding or two off an ex. No fun, need to leg it quickly if/when it happens.
TSR Undergrad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I've took a hiding or two off an ex. No fun, need to leg it quickly if/when it happens.
no one has a right to do that to you.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TSR Undergrad)
no one has a right to do that to you.
Quite. I was gone shortly after,
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone can be an abusive bully, violent criminal or thug.
Irrespective of gender most abuse victims find it difficult to: acknowledge the fact that they are being abused by a predator, do not deserve any blame for the abuser's actions and need to seek support/help to leave the relationship.

There seems to be too much emphasis placed upon the fact that the majority of the victims coming forward seeking partner/relative prosecutions in relation to violent domestic abuse and non violent abuse focusing upon financial control- are female.
Most victims do not come get in contact with law enforcement agencies; many suffer abusive relationships for many years, some are murdered by abusive partners, others take their own lives or flee leaving behind no forwarding address.
BBx2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I never meet anyone who would abuse another person in my life it very sad that you believe most people will be abuse in their life time.
I think you’d be very surprised how many people are abused in one form or another. It happens to men & women from all walks of life.

Most people who are being abused don’t tend to be very open about discussing it, they could be terrified of the repercussions, or maybe are in denial that they’re a victim as often they are subjected to coercive behaviour & being manipulated.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes. This was one of the focuses of IMD.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The isn't just a stigma. Its much bigger than that I feel. There is a discrimination prevalent in our society that justifies and trivialises violence perpetrated by women. I think the recent case of the 'ISIS bride' is a great example of this. We have people demanding this head chopping, genocidal psychopath be allowed back into the UK and let off her crimes because she's a 'vulnerable girl'.

(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
She was a vunerable 15 year old girl who this country and her family failed to protect...

... I just want her to be returned to her family. Despite mistakes she has made in the past.
This discriminatory culture is found at every level in our society from the level of the general public, to our universities, to the police, to our laws to the judiciary.

Men who report violence perpetrated against them by their partners or friends or colleagues are not believed. The few that are believed have the system justify and trivialise the crime perpetrated against them by their abuser. Their abuser often gets away with the abuse because she is a poor girl or a poor woman or a poor mother etc.

I should think that this discriminatory culture would not only explain why this woman in your article is the first to ever be sentenced to prison for this kind of crime, but also why men become reluctant in reporting these kind of crimes, because nobody would believe them and if they are believed the system is rigged against them in favour of their abuser.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We have a long way to go before we have equality, in the UK we have tipped the other way. Females are privileged in this country certainly not oppressed, its alot different when we look overseas mind you.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Men are more often the victims of psychological abuse which doesn't even get reported.
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nobody said it didn't

the problem is men not coming forward

and sorry men but this is one you can't blame on feminists this time. feminists are the ones who won't judge you. the reason why men don't come forward is out of fear they will be mocked by OTHER MEN for admitting they were getting beaten by a woman...
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Allie4)
Nobody said it didn't

and sorry men but this is one you can't blame on feminists this time. feminists are the ones who won't judge you. the reason why men don't come forward is out of fear they will be mocked by OTHER MEN for admitting they were getting beaten by a woman...
Incorrect, it's partly true but mainly incorrect feminists are now now claiming it is impossible for a woman to be Sexist, abusive towards a man.

They also join in the laughter at beaten men, 'pussy whipped' would certainly work the other way around. How about the last time you saw a woman hitting a man in a pre watershed TV programme, why are equality loving feminists not speaking out about this?
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thats not the problem. That's the outcome of a problem one caused by discrimination. You need to stop with the victim blaming.

and sorry men but this is one you can't blame on feminists this time. feminists are the ones who won't judge you.
Feminists are the biggest part of this problem. Their entire ideology is based on the principle of the patriarchy, a principle that claims that we live in a world run by a system created by men to oppress women. This principle is the main driving force behind the sexism that men suffer in our society. It trivialises female violence - 'It isn't the woman's fault that she's violent. It's the fault of the patriarchy, of men. She's been groomed to become this way...We should therefore go easy on her'. Again, I am going to give the example of the 'ISIS bride' here:

(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
She was a vunerable 15 year old girl who this country and her family failed to protect from the influence of Islamic state.
Young girls are very easily influenced, especially by men... It is clear that she was brainwashed and groomed. ... I just want her to be returned to her family. Despite mistakes she has made in the past.
When men suffer violence feminism blames men. When men don't come forward feminism blames men. Your comment and those of other feminists on this forum are evidence for this. Feminism is a huge part of this problem.

Feminist organisations and politicians are putting immense pressure on the government to close down all female prisons here in the UK and across the west and the rest of the globe. Here in this country Baroness Corston, an ardent feminist and Labour politician is leading one such movement.

'Feminists are the ones who won't judge you?' No, they are the only ones that will judge you if are a male and you become a victim of violence at the hands of a woman. Not only will they judge such men, but they have been and will carry on doing their best to protect their abuser if its a female. They will go out of their way to trivialise the crime.

There are many feminist organisations out there who's sole purpose for existence is to protect violent women throughout the prosecution process. Prominent feminist Julie Bindel has one called Justice for Women. This organisation of hers protects the rights of women who have murdered their partners. It campaigns to set them free. Feminist organisations have been successful in releasing many women who have murdered their male partners from prison. A good recent example of one such woman is Jacqueline Sauvage.

Feminists will not judge men, when they suffer violence at the hands of women? No, they are the only ones that
will and they won't stop at judging such men. They'll do more than be judgemental. They will more likely than not justify and celebrate the violence and promote it.

Feminism is a huge part of the problem.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
YaliaV
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Women often feel too embarrassed/ashamed to report, but I’d say domestic abuse against men goes unreported in the vast majority of cases. We don’t know the extent of the problem.
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Thats not the problem. That's the outcome of a problem one caused by discrimination. You need to stop with the victim blaming.

Feminists are the biggest part of this problem. Their entire ideology is based on the principle of the patriarchy, a principle that claims that we live in a world run by a system created by men to oppress women. This principle is the main driving force behind the sexism that men suffer in our society. It trivialises female violence - 'It isn't the woman's fault that she's violent. It's the fault of the patriarchy, of men. She's been groomed to become this way...We should therefore go easy on her. Again, I am going to give the example of the 'ISIS bride' here:

When men suffer violence feminism blames men. When men don't come forward feminism blames men. Your comment and those of other feminists on this forum are evidence for this. Feminism is a huge part of this problem.

Feminist organisations and politicians are putting immense pressure on the government to close down all female prisons here in the UK and across the west and the rest of the globe. Here in this country Baroness Corston, an ardent feminist and Labour politician is leading one such movement.

'Feminists are the ones who won't judge you?' No, they are the only ones that will judge you if are a male and you become a victim of violence at the hands of a woman. Not only will they judge such men, but they have been and will carry on doing their best to protect their abuser if its a female. They will go out of their way to trivialise the crime.

There are many feminist organisations out there who's sole purpose for existence is to protect violent women throughout the prosecution process. Prominent feminist Julie Bindel has one called Justice for Women. This organisation of hers protects the rights of women who have murdered their partners. It campaigns to set them free. Feminist organisations have been successful in releasing many women who have murdered their male partners from prison. A good recent example of one such woman is Jacqueline Sauvage.

Feminists will not judge men, when they suffer violence at the hands of women? No, they are the only ones that
will and they won't stop at judging such men. They'll do more than be judgemental. They will more likely than not celebrate the violence and promote it.

Feminism is a huge part of the problem.
Post of the day Pinkisk , spot on👏👏👏

And C&Pd for later use
many thanks
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Post of the day Pinkisk , spot on👏👏👏

And C&Pd for later use
many thanks
Agreed I tried to rep it but apprantly I've already repped him recently.

Brilliant post and the video actually shows just how prejudice people are, quite sad really isn't it.
LTank
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most people will never be the victim of abuse male/female/disabled or child I think there to much coverage in media when it only affected around 1/5 of adult population and 2/5 of adults with disabilities. Most people will never experience any form of abuse in their lifetime and because of media over coverage of abuse people male/female might become scared to have a relationship with another person.
I think you'll find (sadly) whatever the number, it's one too many. (Sorry it's The Sun so not necessary 100% reliable facts: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/60...atistics-help/)
Domestic abuse affects an estimated 1.9million adults aged 16 to 59 every year, but only 700,000 of the victims are thought to be male.
According to research by the ManKind Initiative, 15 per cent of men aged 16 to 59 have experienced some sort of domestic abuse in their life - equivalent to 2.4million men.Though for every three victims of domestic abuse, only one of them will be male.
imo more media coverage raises awareness & shows them they're not alone, that it's (very sadly) normal, gives them hope and maybe the strength to make the first move to get out of the relationship. The problem with DA is it doesn't just affect you while you're in the relationship, it can shape you're life, so the sooner you can get out the better, so the psychological problems can be addressed as well, even if it's only time for a victim to reflect on & learn from it and learn that there is real love out there, again, even if it's only self-love, which is just as important. (Sorry I've rambled on...).
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I remember from the Guardian a couple of years ago that 60% of DV sufferers are women and 40% are men, but in non reciprocal violence, where one partner gets hit but doesn't hit back, 70% of victims are men.
Whoever gets hit it's totally wrong.
The real disparity though is the places of safety for men and women to go to.
Men that stay with abusive women often do it because they know that if they leave their children will get the abuse.
There aren't enough places of safety for women but they massively out strip the number of places for men, and places that men can go to and take their children are all but unheard of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads