Puppy and kitten pet shop sales could be banned in Wales

Watch
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
"The sale of puppies and kittens through pet shops would be banned in Wales under plans being put out to consultation.

The move would mean buyers would have to deal directly with a breeder or a re-homing centre."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-47280898

Do you think this is a step in the right direction?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've never seen a dog or cat for sale in a pet shop, the biggest furry animal being rabbits. There are only small independent pet shops in my town that don't collaborate with breeders at all, so maybe I've just not been near the right ones to see puppies/kittens.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kind of, but I know of a few really responsible pet shops, and some really irresponsible breeders. I think to sell animals you should have a license - so if your pet gets pregnant by accident you would need to register the pregnancy and the puppies before you can sell them. But I know that would lead to some being killed.. but I don't know what the alternative is if we're to stop puppy farming and the like.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My local pet shop sells kittens occasionally, they are very reputable and responsible. I dont necessarily agree with breeding animals but if you are doing it reputably then there should be no issue and you shouldnt be penalised. Clamp down on the puppy mills and farmers rather than honest pet shops
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pet shops should be last thing they crack down on. I don't know the legals behind it but I would assume they are required to do background and compliance checks to ensure the breeders they are purchasing from a fully compliant and legal. It would also lead me to believe that they should have a paper trail to whomever they purchased the animals from just as we have with livestock. If this is not the case we need legislation not a total ban placed on legitimate pet shops.

It seems like the law is going after pet shops rather than illegal breeding farms in some completely backwards logic. If the breeding market it not properly regulated then it needs to be brought up to standard. We have already made huge improvements to how we track livestock, it is at the point now that you can track an entire animal's history right down to what fields they have lived in.

No animals should be able to be bought without the proper papers.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A physical shop would seem to me to be the most reputable and easiest to regulate.

If they were to ban the sale of animals from anywhere, thus pushing people to adopt from shelters if they wished to have a pet, this would make more sense. The only way you're going to find an individual reputable breeder is if they are prolifically breeding their animals, and are we expecting customers making a one-off 'purchase' to do an in-depth investigation of the breeder?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads