The Student Room Group

Graduate/Mature student

(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ej3352
Hello!

I'm just about to finish my BSc in Biological sciences through the Open University (will be a 2:1 minimum). I'm 27.

I've always wanted to study medicine but felt like it was out of reach, but recently after some changes have decided to pursue it.
Obviously I will be applying to the graduate schemes towards the end of the year, to start next September.

I don't feel that confident towards taking GAMSAT, since I've looked over and would require quite a bit of revision, but work long shifts currently and have exams in June, but I am sitting it in September. UCAT is looking okay and I think I'll score over 700 (hopefully better). I also have no science A-Levels.

Over an 8 year career in the military I have saved around £40k, so would I be stupid to apply to say 2 GEM courses, and 2 regular 5 year courses? I want to increase my chances of gaining an interview as I know GEM is horribly competitive, but would spending all that money on a 5 year course be ridiculous, or an investment?

I'd be 29 when I started, would I feel old on a regular entry course?
I just want to change the route in my life and looking for some reassurance and advice, thanks!

It really comes down to how badly you want to be a doctor. Only you can decide if it will be worth the investment for you. In terms of age, people come back to medicine (or education) at all ages so again if you want to be a doctor badly enough it doesn't matter.
I'm in my early 30s and will be starting a 5 year course this September. My personal feeling was that studying medicine was something I felt passionate about so decided to go for it. As for finances, there is help. Apparently Student Finance will help with maintenance loans, and there may be grants available from your university if your household income is low. There is a lot of assistance available, it's just a case of sifting through it and getting the most you can.

The GAMSAT is hard, yes, but there are huge amounts of resources out there to help. I personally started with Griffiths GAMSAT Review as a foundation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending