Withdrawing from current degree and Reapplying ? Waste of time ? Watch

alanthegreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically I screwed up and am currently studying for a degree that wasn't my expectations. I'm seriously considering dropping out of my degree and I'm a first year student. I really hate the course and the learning experience hasn't been joyful, I'm miserable here and I wish to transfer to another school or take up another degree.

The thing is I'm already 23, dropping out and reapplying UCAS would mean being enrolled again at 24. Graduating at 27. I asked and credit transfers are not really considered as different Unis have different education requirements thus I will have to restart year 1. I'll have to forfeit my year 1 tuition fees as well. My family supports my decision and my heart is telling me to drop out and reapply. But I can't help but feel like I let my family down, wasted time and wasted their money. Should I just suck it up and continue or take a leap of faith and apply for a new degree on UCAS ?
Last edited by alanthegreat; 4 weeks ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alanthegreat)
Basically I screwed up and am currently studying for a degree that wasn't my expectations. I'm seriously considering dropping out of my degree and I'm a first year student. I really hate the course and the learning experience hasn't been joyful, I'm miserable here and I wish to transfer to another school or take up another degree.

The thing is I'm already 23, dropping out and reapplying UCAS would mean being enrolled again at 24. Graduating at 27. I asked and credit transfers are not really considered as different Unis have different education requirements thus I will have to restart year 1. I'll have to forfeit my year 1 tuition fees as well. My family supports my decision and my heart is telling me to drop out and reapply. But I can't help but feel like I let my family down, wasted time and wasted their money. Should I just suck it up and continue or take a leap of faith and apply for a new degree on UCAS ?
Student finance allows you to take one extra year so that's not really a problem. It's not that unusual to restart on a new course if someone decides the original course wasn't right for them.

Age is irrelevant.

Have you found a course you *do* want to study? Does the university have places?
alanthegreat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Student finance allows you to take one extra year so that's not really a problem. It's not that unusual to restart on a new course if someone decides the original course wasn't right for them.

Age is irrelevant.

Have you found a course you *do* want to study? Does the university have places?
Yes I did and enquired other Unis which have sort of guaranteed me acceptance and basically restarting at year 1 as a fresher. I just feel really awful and blame myself, but I guess that is what regret does to you for making the wrong decisions.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alanthegreat)
Yes I did and enquired other Unis which have sort of guaranteed me acceptance and basically restarting at year 1 as a fresher. I just feel really awful and blame myself, but I guess that is what regret does to you for making the wrong decisions.
Honestly it's not that uncommon

We even have a FAQ about it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424

But yes basically it's absolutely fine. And not something to have regrets about - we all live and learn
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what is the degree u wanna study?
alanthegreat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SJW-)
what is the degree u wanna study?
Probably computer science, mainly something related to tech. I'm studying business now.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lots of people start over, you get an extra years debt but you may never pay it off and if you do youve got a great job so no problem!

27 isn't that bad, you're gonna work til you're 70+, a couple of years either way at the start is not a big deal
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
finish the degree and at some point in the future do an msc conversion in computer science
alternatively find a good quality computer science apprenticeship
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (41)
13.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
20.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.57%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (94)
31.13%

Watched Threads