Does the university matter for a maths degree? Watch

blueworld2378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Will it affect how likely I would be to get a good job afterward?
blueworld2378
Rep:
?
This is mostly because I am not doing Further Maths and am already doing four subjects.
blueworld2378
Rep:
?
Is anyone able to help?
Owenmr1211
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
End of a day an employer here’s you’ve been uni to do a maths degree they aren’t going to care where so that you have an interview and go from there
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your grades will matter more than the university
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It depends what you want to do with the degree afterwards; if you wanted to go into e.g. banking, then yes it does matter. If you wanted to go into academia, then to an extent but for different reasons. For most other roles (including in the wider business world) it's not as important as just getting a good result overall.

Some slightly less on-topic perspectives on university maths...
Spoiler:
Show

Why are you doing four subjects without FM? It's generally inadvisable, since for any degree you aren't going to be awarded "Bonus points" for taking extra subjects, and universities much prefer strong performance in three subjects than more mediocre performance in four. Additionally, it's worth bearing in mind degree level maths is very different to A-level Maths - some of the FM content is slightly more similar, and taking both gives you more experience of having a high mathematics workload (which you will have in uni when you're only doing maths and nothing else).

While nominally FM isn't required for most maths degrees, given a lot of the content is both very new and very different to the maths you've done so far, it can be a lot of work and quite difficult to be trying to play catch up with the FM topics while also trying to get to grips with the new very abstract material (some of which will directly build on the FM topics you haven't done). I would suggest you investigate whether it's possible to drop a subject (just, at all) and then see if it might be possible to take e.g. AS FM or something either through your school or AMSP. Failing that, I would suggest perhaps over the summer spending some time looking at something like Spivak's Calculus or a (more abstract/pure) linear algebra text, to get an idea of what a lot of university maths (even on the applied side) is likely to entail as far as rigour, proof writing, and abstraction/generality. If you prefer more just solving problems (even if it's to find analytical solutions) using calculus etc, another course (such as engineering, economics, physics or similar) might be more appropriate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads