Avoiding pen and paper Watch

splooshandwoosh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I'm starting a physics degree next year but I desperately want to avoid using pen and paper because it takes me a lot of time and space to organise and I'd much rather digitise my notes. My question is to people who have also gone down this route and had to take notes involving maths and equations: how did you manage? What kind of tech do you use? I'm leaning towards the 2 in 1 type of laptops, but of course I've heard mixed feelings about this.
Last edited by splooshandwoosh; 4 weeks ago
the_logician
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I decided the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago! Typing up my notes where one of the best things that I could have done.
I use OneNote: it came free with my laptop and can synchronise across devices and is just a handy little organisational device.
For equations and symbols like that it would be more helpful if you had a laptop that is touchscreen, you can literally just "write" the things that you needed (or, if you're very determined, could either find the equations online or use the touchpad of your laptop).
Another reason why I love OneNote is that it gives me the ability to record my lessons! It is super helpful to really listen back and maybe jot the things that I may have missed whilst in class.
There are probably other apps that are more suitable to school and more specifically physics, but OneNote is perfect for me.
splooshandwoosh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the_logician)
I decided the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago! Typing up my notes where one of the best things that I could have done.
I use OneNote: it came free with my laptop and can synchronise across devices and is just a handy little organisational device.
For equations and symbols like that it would be more helpful if you had a laptop that is touchscreen, you can literally just "write" the things that you needed (or, if you're very determined, could either find the equations online or use the touchpad of your laptop).
Another reason why I love OneNote is that it gives me the ability to record my lessons! It is super helpful to really listen back and maybe jot the things that I may have missed whilst in class.
There are probably other apps that are more suitable to school and more specifically physics, but OneNote is perfect for me.
My thinking is that using a touchscreen laptop to write equations woulf be difficult unless you were leaning on the screen, like a tablet
sammyj97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
iPad Pro + pencil + keyboard
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the_logician
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by henald)
My thinking is that using a touchscreen laptop to write equations woulf be difficult unless you were leaning on the screen, like a tablet
I'm not really sure what you mean by bend?

(Original post by sammyj97)
iPad Pro + pencil + keyboard
And yeah that would work perfectly!
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know about other universities, but in mine and my flatmates lectures (she did physics whereas I did chemistry at Leeds) no-one used a laptop at all! We used to find it so annoying if one random person showed up with a laptop - the annoying typing noise!!!
We used to get given handouts with all the lecture slides on at the start and then we'd annotate that with any extra information - saves time on scribbling stuff down so lecturers can get through more material and means you don't miss anything! (Also all the lectures are recorded which is standard across our university)

You could combine the two methods though? Get the slides on a tablet and annotate those? Then you'd probably already have the equations and you'd just need to add a few extra bits
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads