Macbook for studying media studies Watch

caitlin1608
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm looking for a laptop (particularly a macbook) for studying media studies at university. I just wanted your opinions on them and which is the best one to suggest. I have applied to UEA where they particularly have IMacs which is why I'm leaning towards a macbook as it will be more compatible. If you have any suggestions that would be great as I'm struggling as to which one will best suit me
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I like macs and I'm typing this on an iMac 27".
"Luckily" the Apple laptop range have now got a biscuit proof keyboard (seriously, 2017 - 2015 had some problems)

if you are going to make movies using Final Cut Pro X, there are more professional tools available but we'll use that as a guideline.
suggestions would be minimum 8 to 16GB RAM, and around 1000 GB hard drive space, for laptops, more HDD or SSD space would be better but Apple really do calculate their price-points very aggressively.

I don't think you want a "Macbook" as that is a small, low power computer without enough connectors to do much work
the newer models of "MacBook Air" are not too bad, much better than "Macbook", but for media, you should see if you can afford the following "MacBook Pro" range.

New a 16GB RAM 256GB MacBook Pro would be nearly £2000,
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ma...ghz-quad-core#

They are sometimes available "refurbished", I often buy these type of macs.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...lay-Space-Gray
This is for the 2018 model Refurb 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Space Grey £1,489.00

this laptop above has 8GB of RAM onboard memory and a medium sized 256GB SSD and effectively four processors, it would do OK for Media Studies - you would soon need an external backup and/or video scratch disk. you can get 2TB to 6TB for varying prices, much cheaper than boosting the Apple specification.

A typical external hard drive is here https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...sd-card-reader for about £300

ask a few more people and see what they say!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by caitlin1608)
Hi, I'm looking for a laptop (particularly a macbook) for studying media studies at university. I just wanted your opinions on them and which is the best one to suggest. I have applied to UEA where they particularly have iMacs which is why I'm leaning towards a macbook as it will be more compatible. If you have any suggestions that would be great as I'm struggling as to which one will best suit me
last point, there's probably no rush to buy a powerful Media machine , after registering you will be able to buy a more reasonably priced MacBook Pro through UNiDAYS. there are special university deals, sometimes a free pair of headphones, Apple education discount etc,

more at https://www.myunidays.com/GB/en-GB/content/about
caitlin1608
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you so much for this information! this has really helped me, the good thing is I have the time so I'm just looking around at the moment
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by caitlin1608)
Hi, I'm looking for a laptop (particularly a macbook) for studying media studies at university. I just wanted your opinions on them and which is the best one to suggest. I have applied to UEA where they particularly have IMacs which is why I'm leaning towards a macbook as it will be more compatible. If you have any suggestions that would be great as I'm struggling as to which one will best suit me
Hi Caitlin!

I studied Media Studies at UEA and I decided to get myself a Macbook too. I don't think they're absolutely necessary for the course but are definitely a good investment if you're in a position to get one I originally went for the Macbook Pro but this was pretty heavy to carry around so when I got a new one I went for the Air and to be honest, didn't notice the difference! They're cheaper too, which is always a bonus!

Heidi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads