?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
For those who are starting in September 2019
Siddie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
I got an offer recently too as an international student from Canada. Still debating whether I should go ahead with it or not. Just had some questions for you all that would help me make my decision.

1. How are other international students funding this? For those taking loans, how do they plan to pay them off if they pursue their training and practice in the UK. To me, it would take 20+ years to pay off the loans if I was to work in the UK due to a lower salary (compared to NA). £190000 is steep! This leads me to my next question.

2. Just wondering how many other applicants are mature students from NA? I feel like having people with similar goals as me (attempt for post-graduate training in NA) would be better when it comes to arranging rotations back home, giving board exams etc. Not sure how much the University offers in terms of international rotations and support but it would be worth finding out. Also, it would be nice to have other students who are in their twenties (nothing against 17 yr olds lol) because it is always easier to get along with those similar to you.
Vyvy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am a post grad from the US!
swadesh69
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Siddie)
I got an offer recently too as an international student from Canada. Still debating whether I should go ahead with it or not. Just had some questions for you all that would help me make my decision.

1. How are other international students funding this? For those taking loans, how do they plan to pay them off if they pursue their training and practice in the UK. To me, it would take 20+ years to pay off the loans if I was to work in the UK due to a lower salary (compared to NA). £190000 is steep! This leads me to my next question.

2. Just wondering how many other applicants are mature students from NA? I feel like having people with similar goals as me (attempt for post-graduate training in NA) would be better when it comes to arranging rotations back home, giving board exams etc. Not sure how much the University offers in terms of international rotations and support but it would be worth finding out. Also, it would be nice to have other students who are in their twenties (nothing against 17 yr olds lol) because it is always easier to get along with those similar to you.
My daughter is school leaver (from India). Cost of tuition fees are the same in most other Schools like Aston. I am sure she will not be able to repay the full amount of loan and I am ready to help her.
Navesaram
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I'm an international student, I got my offer, which I have to meet in my exams this May. I'm 18 .
Sapenh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello!

I am also from Canada and received an offer!

I have also completed my undergraduate degree so I understand the financial commitment involved. Realistically, there’s no other way to try and pay it off other than working in the UK if I can’t get back into Canada. Also, they don’t offer any sponsorships or scholarships for international students.

Are you thinking about living on residence for the first year? Where abouts in Canada are you from?
Siddie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sapenh)
Hello!

I am also from Canada and received an offer!

I have also completed my undergraduate degree so I understand the financial commitment involved. Realistically, there’s no other way to try and pay it off other than working in the UK if I can’t get back into Canada. Also, they don’t offer any sponsorships or scholarships for international students.

Are you thinking about living on residence for the first year? Where abouts in Canada are you from?
Congratulations! I’m from Alberta, what about you?

You are completely right! It’s best to be realistic. We can always come back after training in the UK too I suppose. I guess for me, I want to try and select a program that will try and maximize my chances of coming back home before. Have you looked into Ireland/Australia? They’re a year shorter and have high match rates back to Canada/US.

Yeah, I will most likely stay in residence for the first year at least!
Rachel2473
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You said you are a mature student, if you don't mind me asking did you decide to change your course midway or you just took a gap year?
Rachel2473
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Congratulations! I’m from Alberta, what about you?

You are completely right! It’s best to be realistic. We can always come back after training in the UK too I suppose. I guess for me, I want to try and select a program that will try and maximize my chances of coming back home before. Have you looked into Ireland/Australia? They’re a year shorter and have high match rates back to Canada/US.

Yeah, I will most likely stay in residence for the first year at least!
Why did you decide to come to the UK? Canada has amazing medical courses, but unfortunately for only Canadian citizens. I mean I would love to go to UBC.
Chibuchi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
how can international students get UK loans? never knew that was possible
Siddie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chibuchi)
how can international students get UK loans? never knew that was possible
You can get loans to study abroad from your home country. You’re right, I don’t think that is possible unless you qualify as an international student with a UK nationality (didn’t live there for the past 3 years). Even then, I’m not sure what the rules are and how much you can get.
Siddie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rachel2473)
You said you are a mature student, if you don't mind me asking did you decide to change your course midway or you just took a gap year?
I actually finished my course. It’s post-bachelors degree entry in Canada. You can apply in the 2nd year of your degree but most apply in the 3rd or after they complete it (I think it’s similar for the US). The Universities are definitely great although super competitive , which is why you see a lot of Canadians looking at international programs. I thought I might as well apply to the UK since I grew up there and know the country well, as well as the fact that it is top notch for medical training . A doctor here also told me that the UK medical training is overall better than Canada and would be beneficial in the long-term; however, he most likely did have some bias having gone through his education there.
Rachel2473
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I actually finished my course. It’s post-bachelors degree entry in Canada. You can apply in the 2nd year of your degree but most apply in the 3rd or after they complete it (I think it’s similar for the US). The Universities are definitely great although super competitive , which is why you see a lot of Canadians looking at international programs. I thought I might as well apply to the UK since I grew up there and know the country well, as well as the fact that it is top notch for medical training . A doctor here also told me that the UK medical training is overall better than Canada and would be beneficial in the long-term; however, he most likely did have some bias having gone through his education there.
Wait so you finished your post grad, but you applied for medicine undergrad in the UK?? I'm confused, sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads