The Student Room Group

Revision for AS levels?

Hi guys, just wondering how much all you a level students revised for AS last year? At my school we're still sitting the exams, and I'm just unsure when to start revising/how much to do. Ideally would get AAA, pretty averagely intelligent so any responses like 'I didn't revise and got full marks lol' aren't that helpful :smile: Thanks
Reply 1
I revised 6 hours per night and came out with 2 b’s and an a
Bump
Original post by IMD16)I revised 6 hours per night and came out with 2 b’s and an a

What subjects do you do? :smile:
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
Hi guys, just wondering how much all you a level students revised for AS last year? At my school we're still sitting the exams, and I'm just unsure when to start revising/how much to do. Ideally would get AAA, pretty averagely intelligent so any responses like 'I didn't revise and got full marks lol' aren't that helpful :smile: Thanks

I didn't revise and got full marks lol
Reply 5
Original post by IMD16)I revised 6 hours per night and came out with 2 b’s and an a

What subjects do you do? :smile:

Physics, maths and further maths
Original post by Outriderr
I didn't revise and got full marks lol

Brought this reply on myself.... :smile:
Original post by IMD16
Physics, maths and further maths

Well done :smile:
I did 4 AS, revised everyday for the whole day and got AAAB
I was 1 mark off an A, I had a slight meltdown in the exam so I didn't perform as well as I could have
i f*cked around a lot in year 12 and was getting straight Es for most the year. The week before my AS/ end of year exams in year 12, i banged out several hours of revision a day and a couple hours in the evenings and got all As.
They only really matter for predicted grades, if your school is willing to negotiate predicted grades or if they predict high grades dont worry too much, otherwise, a few hours a day for about a week or two should do the job
good luck
Original post by upbeat4
I was 1 mark off an A, I had a slight meltdown in the exam so I didn't perform as well as I could have

Still great grades though! :smile: congrats mate and thanks for the reply
Reply 11

sameee
Reply 12
Original post by upbeat4

wth really!!!! how? I NEED TO REVISE EVERYDAY
Original post by hd...
wth really!!!! how? I NEED TO REVISE EVERYDAY

Don't get too worried about revising everyday, I'm just one of those people who gets stressed if they don't work. Revising everyday might not be the best way for you, it just worked for me.

I started light revision in the second half of the spring term and checked over my notes with teachers, asked as many questions as humanly possible and then I started full on revision in Easter. I'd go over a section, try and actively recall the information and then do practice questions to apply my knowledge. You remember how I said I had a slight meltdown in the exam? That was because I dedicated too much time to one subject and neglected another just because my notes were not complete by the start of Easter. Making notes is really time-consuming and I lost valuable time which cost me a grade.
Reply 14
Original post by upbeat4
Don't get too worried about revising everyday, I'm just one of those people who gets stressed if they don't work. Revising everyday might not be the best way for you, it just worked for me.

I started light revision in the second half of the spring term and checked over my notes with teachers, asked as many questions as humanly possible and then I started full on revision in Easter. I'd go over a section, try and actively recall the information and then do practice questions to apply my knowledge. You remember how I said I had a slight meltdown in the exam? That was because I dedicated too much time to one subject and neglected another just because my notes were not complete by the start of Easter. Making notes is really time-consuming and I lost valuable time which cost me a grade.

Thanks and what subjects did you do? do you recommend doing practice questions or making notes?
Original post by hd...
Thanks and what subjects did you do? do you recommend doing practice questions or making notes?

I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Music. I got the B in Maths.

Make notes so you know and understand the content
Do practise questions to identify holes in your knowledge by applying the knowledge that you do have.
Reply 16
Original post by upbeat4
I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Music. I got the B in Maths.

Make notes so you know and understand the content
Do practise questions to identify holes in your knowledge by applying the knowledge that you do have.

did you do edexcel the new spec?
Reply 17
Original post by IMD16
I revised 6 hours per night and came out with 2 b’s and an a

excuse tell me what you did!!!!!
Original post by hd...
did you do edexcel the new spec?

For music and maths yes
Reply 19
Original post by upbeat4
For music and maths yes

How did you revise for maths?