Should females be paid the same as males in Football? Watch

TPsych20
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just want opinions!! I believe they shouldn’t. Not because they’re female, but because the quality of football males play is of a higher standard and generally more entertaining.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
csh19120522
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TPsych20)
Just want opinions!! I believe they shouldn’t. Not because they’re female, but because the quality of football males play is of a higher standard and generally more entertaining.
I agree with you, most female footballers just aren't as good, they're great at tennis (men are too!) and netball, but not football
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Looking at a pure equality view of this then yes, same pay same job.

Reliatically no. Footballers are paid, not only for skill, but for views they bring in. A male football game will have more fans than a female football game. Male footballers are better known and thus get more from sponsors etc.
‏‏‎ God ‏‏‎
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think it's really that simple. If the women's football matches generate anywhere near as much revenue as the men's football matches, then they should be paid similar amounts. But until then, their pay can only be proportional to how much their matches generate.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The salary of a footballer is largely determined by the amount of people they draw to the game and so the amount of people that pay for tickets and become exposed to the companies that pay to have their logos advertised on the team's clothe's and in the stadium. Female football attracts very few fans, women (and men). Very few women are interested in watching any football let alone female football. Very few men are interested in female football teams, because I think female football is not of the same standard as male football. its of a noticeably lower standard. I therefore do not think it is fair for female footballers to receive the same salary as male footballers. As male football is not equal to that of the female football in any way.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where is the money supposed to come from? This idea doesn’t make any sense to me.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Once you see womens football have the same traction and following as the mens sport, then yes.

Until then, no. of course not. 6th tier men teams get a larger attendance than most WSL games.
Last edited by xDron3; 3 weeks ago
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Looking at a pure equality view of this then yes, same pay same job.

Reliatically no. Footballers are paid, not only for skill, but for views they bring in. A male football game will have more fans than a female football game. Male footballers are better known and thus get more from sponsors etc.
I do not think the jobs are even equal except in name. Male football draws far bigger crowds. It is of a much higher standard and these two things are important factors in determining salary. I think, male and female football are not equal.
Soph65
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TPsych20)
Why should they we are all the same so we should be treated the same
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No... the males should be paid the same as the females. The money comes from milking the fans as if they were addicts, which they are groomed to be. I think it was Orwell who said football is the opiate of the masses.
Last edited by Vinny C; 3 weeks ago
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lower standard of play, lower viewership, lower ticket sales, fewer sponsors, lower revenue, therefore lower pay for the athletes. It's basic business. The women's teams simply cannot afford to pay their players the same salaries that we see in the Premier League, Champions League, or any other professional men's league. Nobody watches women's football.

Pay them what they're worth. Unfortunately it's not as much as the men are. That's just the reality of the situation.
Jack22031994
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Once it generates the same amount of money then sure yeah, why not? Until then, it's not possible tbh
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I hear people compare this to tennis but there is a big difference : female tennis has a huge viewership worldwide and big name female matches can easily fill a tennis stadium.

I have to assume that those who want equal pay for male/female football players have zero understanding of economics.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Lower standard of play, lower viewership, lower ticket sales, fewer sponsors, lower revenue, therefore lower pay for the athletes. It's basic business. The women's teams simply cannot afford to pay their players the same salaries that we see in the Premier League, Champions League, or any other professional men's league. Nobody watches women's football.

Pay them what they're worth. Unfortunately it's not as much as the men are. That's just the reality of the situation.
They are just as good if not better. The reality is the men are paid silly money because of the addict factor, and you are the addicts. If football was a drug cartel it would be shut down.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If they generate the same revenue, why not?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
If they generate the same revenue, why not?
So does drug trafficking... doesn't make it right.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
So does drug trafficking... doesn't make it right.
Confused.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Teams like Bayern, United, Real, Barca and Dortmund constantly attract attendances of 75,000+ and have sponsorship deals worth tens of millions of pounds. Unless female football teams attract that sort of attention, no they shouldn’t be paid the same.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Confused.
Just because something is profitable doesn't make it right... try reading above.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Just because something is profitable doesn't make it right... try reading above.
I didn't realise my comment, or even this thread, was debating the morality of football. So you quoting me made no sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads