First year, second year, third year lecture schedules. BSc MB&O

Watch
James200
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help! I'm in the Sept '19 entry for BSc Marine bio and oceanography... I'm a mature student and trying to sort out future travel arrangements. I'm wondering what the schedule is like for each year; how often you have to be on campus for lectures/applied lessons etc per week? Living quite far away I'm wondering if I need to find accomodation within Plymouth or if I can make the commute by train 3/4/5 times a week?

Cheers!

James
University of Plymouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by James200)
Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help! I'm in the Sept '19 entry for BSc Marine bio and oceanography... I'm a mature student and trying to sort out future travel arrangements. I'm wondering what the schedule is like for each year; how often you have to be on campus for lectures/applied lessons etc per week? Living quite far away I'm wondering if I need to find accomodation within Plymouth or if I can make the commute by train 3/4/5 times a week?

Cheers!

James
Hi James,

Congratulations! I hope you're excited?

My belief is that you spend your time swapping between lab work, class work, and field work. One day you could be in a lecture in the morning, followed by lab work in the afternoon. We aren't able to confirm timetables, as these get finalised in September time. I am happy to chat with the admissions tutor to find out more if you would like?

At this point, I would weigh up whether long-distance travel would be preferable over living closer to the action - you may have long days of fieldwork or sporadic lecturing and lab work which means you'd have to stick around. Regardless, let me know if this is something you'd like me to investigate!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
James200
Rep:
?
Hi Seren!

Thanks for getting back to me... Yeah I can’t wait!

Ok great, it’s more of a broad question really: on average how many days a week do they spend on campus and does that change in the following years? If there’s a lecture in the morning and applied in the afternoon that’s not a problem I can use my time wisely. Just trying to find out if I need to pay for accommodation nearer to campus or if I could catch the train daily. Is it possible to ask a previous student to get a general picture of the timetable?

Thank you very much!

James
University of Plymouth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Seren!

Thanks for getting back to me... Yeah I can’t wait!

Ok great, it’s more of a broad question really: on average how many days a week do they spend on campus and does that change in the following years? If there’s a lecture in the morning and applied in the afternoon that’s not a problem I can use my time wisely. Just trying to find out if I need to pay for accommodation nearer to campus or if I could catch the train daily. Is it possible to ask a previous student to get a general picture of the timetable?

Thank you very much!

James
Hi James,

It's such an exciting time!!

I will contact the relevant people with this question and get back to you ASAP

James200
Rep:
?
Cheers Seren!Speak to you soon.
University of Plymouth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cheers Seren!Speak to you soon.
Hi James200,

I hope you had a good weekend!

I've just chased this up for you, and have had the following response:

Sadly, we don’t really have such specific information either and as timetabling can fluctuate quite dramatically each year so it’s difficult to predict. But plenty of students do commute and manage perfectly well. We do advise that they need to be available Mon-Fri between the hours of 9-5 but they definitely won’t be needed on campus for all of this time. They could email [email protected] uk to see if they can give them an example timetable which would give an idea of contact hours.

Please let me know if you'd like any further help with this - as you can see, it's a bit of a tricky one!

James200
Rep:
?
Hey Seren,

That’s perfect, thank you very much for asking for me! It’s good to know other students commute and get on perfectly well and thanks for all the other information, it’s very much appreciated.

All the best,

James
University of Plymouth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Seren,

That’s perfect, thank you very much for asking for me! It’s good to know other students commute and get on perfectly well and thanks for all the other information, it’s very much appreciated.

All the best,

James
Hi James,

I'm more than glad I could help! Good luck with everything, and remember I'm always here if there's ever anything else you need to ask

CharlieBubble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi all!

Cheers!

James
Hi!
I'm a current first year MBO student. At the beginning of the year you're gonna be in pretty much every day for a good few hours, and while this does let up further into the year, I have been told that second year is super busy for MBO students.
Plus even when there are no lectures on, there's a lot of tutor meetings, meetings with other students and extra curricular things going on, before we even touch onto the amount of time you need to spend in the library (spoiler: it's a lot!)
I personally love the degree but it is very time demanding which is why I prefer to live in hall on campus. However I also know a few people on the degree who are loving it, managing their time well and commute every day so I think it depends on whether or not you'd want to commute in 5 days a week, sometimes just for an hour or two

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions you have about the course 😊😊
James200
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi Charlie,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated! That's great to know, I think I'm going to have to sort some accomodation out mid week and split my time between the two. My plan was to move a lot of the library time to the train journeys but time will tell if that's feasible or not. Yh I do have heaps of questions relating to the course itself, I don't know if you have an email address at all to contact you a bit easier? They're pretty basic questions, I'm sure you'd be able to answer. Thank you very much again, look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

James
(Original post by CharlieBubble)
Hi!
I'm a current first year MBO student. At the beginning of the year you're gonna be in pretty much every day for a good few hours, and while this does let up further into the year, I have been told that second year is super busy for MBO students.
Plus even when there are no lectures on, there's a lot of tutor meetings, meetings with other students and extra curricular things going on, before we even touch onto the amount of time you need to spend in the library (spoiler: it's a lot!)
I personally love the degree but it is very time demanding which is why I prefer to live in hall on campus. However I also know a few people on the degree who are loving it, managing their time well and commute every day so I think it depends on whether or not you'd want to commute in 5 days a week, sometimes just for an hour or two

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions you have about the course 😊😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
61.18%
No (66)
38.82%

Watched Threads